Anyone here experienced worse sides from topical finasteride then topical Duta

Badbald

Established Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of finally taking the plunge and thought one of the two may be the only option for me. I know there was an old thread related to this where strangely people claim topical dutasteride gave them less side effects then topical finasteride, I can't remember the exact mechanism that someone said but I remember there was some logic behind it, what are peoples experiences who have tried both? would be greatly appreciated to know.

Jimmerson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Molecule may be too large to penetrate into the skin. We really need some kind of community thread on this where users can share experiences and those who have bloods can share too

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical dutasteride once a week apparently induced fewer side effects than topical finasteride once a day. I think the logic is that dutasteride is a larger molecule so it doesn’t go systemic as much, plus it has a longer half life in tissue so you don’t need to use it as much. With topical finasteride you need to apply it a lot plus a lot of it can go systemic at one point

Jimmerson

My Regimen
Reaction score
RU58841 by itself is not as effective as RU+finasteride.
Below some readings of circulating androgens from Kevin.

Scalp DHT on Finasteride+RU58841: 0.63 pmol/g

Scalp DHT with no treatments: 6.49 pmol/g

Serum DHT Finasteride+RU58841: 324 pg/ml

Serum DHT with no treatments: 645 pg/ml

Scalp DHT on Topical Dutasteride: 1,74 pmol/g

Serum DHT on Topical Dutasteride: 512 pg/ml

You could probably have less than 0.50 pmol/g scalp DHT while having the same (512 pg/ml) serum DHT if using Topical Dutasteride + RU58841
We should gather any bloods/discussions on formulation. See this post above - look like someone has had terrific results with topical dutasteride. I'm not having any sides on topical finasteride, trying oral to see if it's just that I'd get sides on neither, but would still be worth mixing in topical dutasteride. As I understand, AR2 is only in the hair follicle, and the rest of the AR in the scalp is AR1.

Jimmerson

My Regimen
Reaction score
The holy grail is bloods like above, showing big hits in scalp dht and small decrease in serum (of course halting scalp dht must reduce serum). Then we know the dosage and vehicle are good

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use oral finasteride with zero side effects. At least this is what it seems to me. I have interest on topical finasteride or duta, but I am not willing to risk my hairs on them.

If finasteride stars to fail one day, I will probably try duta. finasteride works so well for me that I am afraid to stop the treatment to try anything else. I would add a different treatment, but I won't stop taking my daily pill.

Badbald

Established Member
Reaction score
I suppose the age old question still applies which is.. can dutasteride work locally, this would work for CB as its not for 5AR but theres still the point to think about which is that DUTA may only be able to work if its gone into your blood stream