Anyone here ever get this response from people?

G

My hair has been thinning dramatically for the last 2 maybe 2 and half years now...really hard to keep track of time because this whole ordeal has just changed who I am emotionally. But it seems to me that my family: husband, mother in law, sister, father, friends all give me the same response which is, "Oh you are not loosing your hair, you have been saying this for the last 2 years and it doesn't look any different to us." Anyone here get this same response from loved one's or friends? I know I am not insane, I know I am loosing my hair...so why oh why do they insist on telling me that this massive hair shedding is all in my head? :cry:

Vanessa118377

Reaction score
Lilith,

You are not alone. My Mom tells me the exact same thing when I can compare pictures from now to a few years ago and there is an OBVIOUS difference. I think they just tell us that because they don't want us to stress out about it, but in the end all it does is make us even more nuts!! :)

If you can tell when you pull your hair into a pony tail that the diameter is smaller then you know it's not in your head. That's how I know. I have to wrap scrunchie in an extra loop (3) when before I only had to go aroud twice. Plus there are a lot of barettes that I have that wouldn't even hold just the top part of my hair and now I can get ALL of my hair in them so I know it's not just me.

Hang in there! :lol:

Vanessa

Anita

Reaction score
I'm going to visit my parents in a few weeks and I'm curious to see what they say. My hairloss has been going on for a few months. I hope they don't invalidate me. Invalidation is the worst!!!

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
You know, I had to giggle at your post Lilith...(not at the situation you are in) but I had a similiar conversation at work tonight. "You know Avery?? You have lots of hair..I don't notice your hair coming out...and those little hairs are regrowth...we all have them". All I could think about was...well I had a scalp biopsy.... the pathologist, my dermatologist and myself all confirmed that my hair is coming out...oh yes and so did my brush this morning...and guess what?? Its genetic.... but all I said was"well my hair is coming out whether you see it or not. Its not all coming out at once and yes its genetic...you may not see it now from afar...but give it a few years...you will!!!
And Vanessa, I did the hair elastic test too. All I need is a baby elastic and my hair is pulled back.... When I was younger...a small elastic would hold the sides of my hair to have it half up....
Hang in there everyone :wink: people sometimes don't have the right things to say even though the intent was good...

G

Yes, I've had well meaning friends trying to talk down the problem as well. I tend not to tell them now. Its hard enough trying to deal with your own denial let alone other peoples'. The most recent incidence of vicarious "la la la I'm not listening" happened last week with a friend's partner, a doctor - so really she should know better. For one thing, she didn't believe it was Androgenetic Alopecia and thought I was exagerrating normal hair loss. This despite the fact that I have submitted to all the blood tests under the sun and was diagnosed by a dermo about 2 years ago. Oh, and the very slight matter of having practically no hair left on the frontal region of my scalp.

So my philosophy: just don't tell people. If they're so thick they don't know what baldness looks like when its staring them in the face, why change that? Otherwise what you'll be treated to in response is "oh, it can't be that. Women don't go bald. You must have too much time on your hands. Why don't you find a hobby? What about knitting?"

Anita

Reaction score
"oh, it can't be that. Women don't go bald. You must have too much time on your hands. Why don't you find a hobby? What about knitting?"[quote:8407c]

:)
[/quote:8407c]

G

Hello all,

Thanks for all the response. It's really nice knowing that I'm not the only one being fed the "Your hair's not thinning" line. :lol: It just drives me beyond insane when my husband has to argue with me about my hairloss. I use to have really thick hair. Now, it's not even as big as a dime when I pull it back into a ponytail.

I was told by 2 different derms that I have Telogen Effluvium because my hair is thinning all over. But I'm not so sure now because I've noticed that I have 2 bald spots on the sides of the very top of my hair line. It's only noticeable when I pull my hair back into a tight pony tail. Could it be alopecia? :shock:

Vanessa118377

Reaction score
Lilith,

Round bald patches about the size of a coin are typical of Alopecia Areata (sp?). There is such a thing as diffuse AA but I don't know much about it. Laura may have some information on it under Information on http://www.heralopecia.com. Maybe someone else here has more experience with AA?

Supposedly I have Telogen Effluvium too, but I'm thinking I have Diffuse Androgenetic Alopecia. I also have low ferritin so I'm trying to bring that up before I worry anymore. Only time will tell.

Vanessa :lol:

G

Vanessa,

Thank you for the info. What a wonderful site that is. Reading through the types of Alopecia, I think Androgenetic Alopecia is more like what I am experiencing. It makes me very sad that I might have something more than Telogen Effluvium, but now it's just a matter of waiting for my financial situation to get better before I go back to seeing another derm for a third opinion. The holidays are coming up and I just want my girls to have a great x-mas. I don't want to burden my family with my hair problems during the holidays. :cry:

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
off-topic...
lilith...you're avatar is coool 8)

G

Lentara,

He he...thanks :lol:. I found it in the (feminine) avatar gallery.

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
The image definitely fits the name. :)

Anita

Reaction score
Hi Lilith--

I know what you mean! I too was told by my derm that I have Telogen Effluvium and all my bloodwork is normal. But he didn't take a good look at my hair and scalp, and I've found many bald splotches (but they aren't really perfectly round like I imagine AA to be). I wouldn't care so much, except that the treatment for AA is different. Whether I have Telogen Effluvium or Androgenetic Alopecia is debatable but it would be treated the same way, so I've let that go. I've been using Folligen, soon to introduce 5% minoxidil.

Anita

G

Hi anita,

I've been considering using 2% minoxidil, but I've heard that for some people (I don't know if this is true) it increases hair shedding so I am a bit hesistant to try it. What is your experience with Folligen? I want to use something to stop the shedding and soon, but I am so confused with what products to use. I have such a hard time with products when it comes to my hair, that I can't even stick with one brand of regular shampoo for more than a month. :lol:

Anita

Reaction score
Hi Lilith-

I've only been using Folligen for 3 days so I can't say anything yet... It got rave reviews on the men's board but mainly I think used in conjuction with minoxidil. A lot of the guys said that it stings a lot but I only experienced this a tiny bit (it goes away within minutes) so I think my scalp must at least be healthy. Yeah, I've heard about the shedding with the minoxidil which is why I'm still thinking about it. My husband has male pattern baldness and he's been using 5% minoxidil for a month. He shed like crazy (I think it is reduced now) and he is trying to talk me out of it because I may freak out if it happens to me. My dilemma is that my shedding actually has almost resolved itself in the last month, but now I need to grow the hair back. So... do I risk using minoxidil to grow the hair even if it causes the shedding to return??? In your case, I would advise you to use it, because if you are shedding anyway, you might as well shed for a good cause and know that you are contributing to regrowth somehow :)

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone, I just wanted to say that I like everyone's avator pics... by the way... I look nothing like Lisa Simpson...hehe :lol: