Anyone had any success with scalp exercises?

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
SEfreak said:
packers:

its like wondering what will get your biceps bigger- a good bicep massage or a set of heavy weight training.(bigger=more dense and expanded net for bloodflow + VGF that is shown to promote trichogenesis)

Thanks, I have a hard time doing the SE though. I can't seem to wiggle my ears or move my forehead without the use of my hands...

SE-freak

Reaction score
It was a pain for me too. But after you achieve your first contraction,

you cannot stop.

SE-freak

Reaction score
MidnightFlyer:

Can you provide a rough timeline for your results? How many minutes per day?when did you first notice regrowth and for how long dit it kept going? was it substantial?in what areas?did you combine it with diet changes?How old are you?

sorry for the ??? storm, but since you have been doing the SE for 3 years I would very much like to know the details.

thank you.

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
SEfreak said:
It was a pain for me too. But after you achieve your first contraction,

you cannot stop.

Do you have any tips to get started? I've tried doing it in the mirror and that still doesn't help. I would get the CD but I am really broke right now! :evil:

SE-freak

Reaction score
I guess you could spend some time in the hairloss-reversible.com forum.
that would help.

well, the most difficult part of Tom's approach is to gain control of the occipitalis muscles( a pair of symmetrical small muscles at the back of the skull). The synapsis for this muscle exists but has been never used so the muscles are atrophied(you will only achieve almost undetectable ear movement the first time)The feeling of an occipital contraction is like "the back of your head is smiling".

A good way to start would be trying to locate this muscles on your skull. Use your hands. They(the muscles not your hands) are placed a bit higher than the ear level a few 7cm backwards(at least on my skull).

If you ever wore glasses or you do now, the occipitalis muscles are used when you pull the glasses up on your nose without using your hands- I am sure you are familiar with this move from a glass wearer.

they say that it is also useful to lie on a pillow so that you can feel every slight movement and have a kind of "movement feedback" so that your brain can connect movement to signal.

My way was a little different. I started doing the exercise by replacing the occipital contraction with a huge grin(so huge that my cheeks were pushing back). I did this several times: frontalis contraction-release-grin-frontalis contraction-release-grin. After some sets I stopped grinning and I had the very first contraction of the occipitalis(!). It might be weak at first but you will feel it when it happens.

It is a personal thing how this muscle can come "back to life" as it is a part of our more ancient selves. Utilizing it is a quest of its own.

Do read some posts on the hairloss-reversible forums. You will get much better insight and probably better techiques in obtaining control.

best of luck.

MidnightFlyer

Established Member
Reaction score
SEfreak said:
MidnightFlyer:

Can you provide a rough timeline for your results? How many minutes per day?when did you first notice regrowth and for how long dit it kept going? was it substantial?in what areas?did you combine it with diet changes?How old are you?

sorry for the ??? storm, but since you have been doing the SE for 3 years I would very much like to know the details.

thank you.

I don't think you can base anything on my peculiar situation, as I'm in my 50's, and probably half my hair is transplants.

But... I noticed that certain problem areas are no longer, which is a general pattern of slow growth throughtout the scalp, which I began to notice after maybe 2 years. And since then, there's been no loss, and the hair is just healthier.

And I know it works, cause I used to wear a baseball cap everywhere, and now I don't. Period.

I try to do it twice a day, but usually wind up doing it once, very strenuously, on a slant board, for about 15 minutes, as I exercise.

My diet is a loose variation of the Zone, which I recommend highly.

I actually look much younger than my real age. Health is EVERYTHING, and one of the valuable offshoots of trying to accomplish regrowth, is the research that you'll do on nutrition.

I recommend doing the excercise, along with everything else you do. You gotta live the years anyway, so why not just incorporate this little idea into your regime?

You'll know after 2 years whether of not it's something you want to continue with, or not.

did I mention it's very slow going...? :lol:

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could be the same result if you have a regular massage on the scalp?
Tom's approach is not easy of all (gain control of the occipitalis muscles), and
I wonder if with a massage could be OK.

By the way, acording to my theory about problems in sebum drainage as a trigger in common baldness, everything that mobilice the sebum is positive, direct or indirectly.

Armando

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Armando Jose said:
By the way, acording to my theory about problems in sebum drainage as a trigger in common baldness, everything that mobilice the sebum is positive, direct or indirectly.

Armando, the reason I can't understand your theory is because of the mixed messages you keep putting out about it!

On the one hand, you imply that sebum is BAD (sebum supposedly gets down into hair follicles and causes problems with its DHT). On the other hand, you imply that sebum seems to be GOOD ("without sebum, there is no hair").

I wish to god you'd explain exactly what it is that you DO believe, clearly and unequivocally! :D :D :D

Bryan

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
As Dave wrote:

In any event, the term "oil" strongly suggests that whichever fatty acids are present, are present in triglyceride ester form, so I doubt that a significant concentration of free oleic acid is present. Furthermore, I haven't the faintest clue whether such free fatty acids exert a positive or negative influence on male pattern baldness. My guess would be "either or both", depending on the chemical (linoleic and y-linoleic acid are the fatty acids for which evidence of an inhibitory effect on 5 AR exists), concentration, amount, and a million other variables.

Dave

IMO sebum changes passing the time, physical, chemical and biologically. Sebum is easily oxidized. So sebum could be positive at first time and later if it is not removed, sebum acts negatively.

OTOH, do you see my comment? in http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hair transplant=armando

Best regards

Armando

ashokmenon

Reaction score
saw the website today. have mastered the basic exercise. do i need to be able to do the advanced exercise, ie, do i need to buy the cd?

want to cling on to the last of my rapidly diminishing hair until osh101 comes out in a couple of years!!! have you read about it.....the only hope i have left as i have no intention of starting finasteride. after all my weener is more important than my hair when push comes to shove!

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
scalp massages help blood flow into that area,- sort of what minoxidil does. It helps the hair follicles breath. Its not a cure, but its helpful.

petemitchell

Reaction score
I've been doing the scalp exercises myself on and off for about a year and a half.

To be honest I haven't a clue if they've helped or not but my scalp is a lot looser (in a good way) than it was before I started.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nohairnodandruff said:
scalp massages help blood flow into that area,- sort of what minoxidil does.

No, thats not what minoxidil does. The scalp has pleny of blood supply. If you dont believe me cut a slice into yours and see how much blood pours out. The whole "increasing blood supply" theory of regrowing hair has been disproven many times - in fact it may actually speed up hair loss by bringing your hairs in contact with more DHT.

petemitchell

Reaction score
Thinning said:
nohairnodandruff said:
scalp massages help blood flow into that area,- sort of what minoxidil does.

No, thats not what minoxidil does. The scalp has pleny of blood supply. If you dont believe me cut a slice into yours and see how much blood pours out. The whole "increasing blood supply" theory of regrowing hair has been disproven many times - in fact it may actually speed up hair loss by bringing your hairs in contact with more DHT.

Isn't a tight scalp a contibutor to hairloss? The scalp exercise definately help with this.

I can say with confidence that the exercise hasn't speeded my rate of hair loss (which is very very slow in any case).

Do more good than harm IMO

michael barry

Reaction score
Thinning,
On Blood Supply.

Balding men were found by researchers to have 2.6 times LESS blood flow in their scalps than men withough baldness. Every new anagen cycle, the microcapillaries that extend to the dermal papilla grow about 4 times in size to reach the newly enlarged papilla.

Recently scientists gave a protien to alopecic rats that upregulated Vascular Endolitheal Growth Factor (it helps release nitric oxides, dialating the capillaries and also cause angiogenesis or NEW capillary formation). Results? The mice grew thick hair, the existing hairs turned from vellus to big, terminal hairs. It didnt cause hair to grow where there was NONE, BUT we have plenty of vellus hairs on our heads, you just need to look super close to see them, even in your male pattern baldness area (unless you have fibrosis already).

Hagerty's excercise is an attempt to use muscualar excercise to generate more blood vessels in the frontialis muscles, pump blood into the area (blood flow is TEN times normal in a flexing muscle) even if temporarily to bring nutirents and hemoglobin-bearing oxygen to the papilla root, and to (by stretching the galea) quicken lymphatic drainage to get some stagnant toxins and protiens away from the follicle. More blood isnt a bad thing either, remember DHT is a "stagnant" molecule. If brought in contact with other compounds in the blood, it has a much better chance of getting those two hydrogen atoms knocked off in a chemical reaction than it will just hanging around in still blood. There is no way to know if Hagerty's excercise can regrow hair unless it was tested ALONE. Hagerty though, has young looking hair at 73 years of age (wavy and thick) and he claims to have been balding at 19. He uses flax, fish oil, brewers' yeast (for vitamin b complex) and a few other nutritional additions to his regimine, but nothing else. He has a very young face to. The biggest benefit to the scalp excercises is proboably that it is something of a natural face lift as the muscles behind your ears pull your facial skin up and back naturally when they are built up.