Anyone had any success with scalp exercises?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
My brother tried that back in the late 60's (when there was NOTHING else available) along with a barber shop Oster scalp massager, (i.e., it was a hand held "machine").

It did nothing. Norwood 7 by his mid to late 20's.

I felt so bad for him. He was so excited when the Oster scalp massager arrived in the mail. (I innately said to myself when he was using it: "WTF is that contraption going to do?!") As I said, it did NOTHING. As did everything when I was a kid. A big fat ZERO!

Scalp massages were the "rage" for a while back then. It died a deserved death because it didn't work and most men just gave up on it as being useless.

You young guys would not believe all the snake oil out there when I was young. That's why the FDA finally clamped down on snakeoilers in the late 1980's. Things had just gotten completely out of hand. The downside to restrictions is that maybe some more decent treatments would have come out by now? Those damn snakeoilers are still affecting us badly aren't they?! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now, it might be good to massage some of your topicals into your scalp (you know, oil treatments for example) but I wouldn't call it a bona-fide treatment in and of itself.

SE-freak

Reaction score
OB:

I guess jay was refering to Tom Hagerty's "Scalp Exercise".

I have been on the program for 4 months and my hair loss has decreased noticeably.As you can imagine it is too soon for results, but I am willing to continue as there are no sideeffects but a toned upper face.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
SEfreak said:
OB:

I guess jay was refering to Tom Hagerty's "Scalp Exercise".

I have been on the program for 4 months and my hair loss has decreased noticeably.As you can imagine it is too soon for results, but I am willing to continue as there are no sideeffects but a toned upper face.

Well it certainly won't hurt. (Btw, Hagerty's exercises are nothing new.)

The Gardener

Reaction score
I have a feeling that your hair loss has reduced more because you finished a recession spike than anything that could be attributable to the massages. You don't lose hair in a continuous, straight-lined rate. It is naturally a very off and on thing.

Then again, I suppose you never know?

SE-freak

Reaction score
Gardener:

yes, you never know indeed.

I respect Tom because of being so straightforward and skeptical and I find that his approach makes sense. I could have indeed got over a period of shedding and attribute it to the SE. But danger of misattributing success lies in every treatment I guess.

The unquestionable fact is that I have definately increased scalp laxity and a much a healthier non ichy scalp due to the SE. As for the decreased shedding I continue to be skeptical too but I can still do the SE while being skeptical.

SE-freak

Reaction score
oh come on jay...

spend a little time in the hairloss-reversible forums and site and you will "feel" if this man is a monger or not. he isn't.

hereiam

Reaction score
I have his CD and booklet. Been doing SE for 10 months now but I feel the exercise does not do anything. I still do SE everyday because it keeps my upper face looks younger. Sometimes I do wonder if Tom ever had male pattern baldness to begin with.

SE-freak

Reaction score
how much time you spend doing the SE? once? twice a day?

could you give some more info on your program?

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't believe scalp exercises stop hairloss but they might do in really mild cases. I'm not that brilliant at it and I don't remember to do it every day so perhaps I'm not the best person to comment. One thing I have found is that it seems to stop my scalp itching sometimes. Mind you, so does putting my head upside down and letting blood get to it, so it might be increased blood flow that reduces the itching when doing the scalp exercises. I believe Rogaine promotes better blood flow in the scalp area so anything promoting better blood flow to the scalp should be beneficial.

For anyone who doesn't know how to do the scalp exercise it is basically moving your scalp backwards and forwards, kind of like that trick some people can do to pretend they are wearing a wig.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe scalp exercises help the flow of blood which in turn encourages hair growth. ON the other end of the spectrum is the devastating DHT!

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
biff said:
For anyone who doesn't know how to do the scalp exercise it is basically moving your scalp backwards and forwards, kind of like that trick some people can do to pretend they are wearing a wig.

Would one get the same effect if they used their hands to help move the scalp backwards and forwards? I know with the SE you're not supposed to use your hands...

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
Packers said:
biff said:

Would one get the same effect if they used their hands to help move the scalp backwards and forwards? I know with the SE you're not supposed to use your hands...

It's better to use the muscles in your scalp than move the scalp with your hands. You could practice first by moving it with your hands to get used to the movement.

SE-freak

Reaction score
packers:

its like wondering what will get your biceps bigger- a good bicep massage or a set of heavy weight training.(bigger=more dense and expanded net for bloodflow + VGF that is shown to promote trichogenesis)

SE-freak

Reaction score
its a complicated balance. bloodflow-(nutrients and waste drainage) is essential for the follicle health and constricting bloodflow is in no way means of keeping dht out of the way.

On the other hand no one says that increasing bloodflow will lead to regrowth. pff what a puzzle. :evil:

MidnightFlyer

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been doing it for about 3 years. I also have his cd.

the cd just shows him doing the exercise, and also shows him doing the advanced excercise. I bought the cd, cause I thought he earned my 25 bucks, by showing me how to flex the occipitalis muscles.

I do it twice a day, one of the times, on a slant board.

I had a bunch of transplants long ago, and I began doing the exercises just to see what would happen, ie, if I'd get any additional growth. And I have, but the main thing about it that I like is that the hair itself becomes much stronger. Especially when doing the advanced exercises, which you give resistence, as you do the exercise.

It is also good for sort of sculpting the muscles in your face, bringing out the cheekbones and tightening the forehead.

You don't need the cd to do it, and it's free, and the thing is, you have to do it for years so see the change. It's very slow going.