Anyone ever solved keeping fibres on your head - not pillow after sleeping (crown)

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Never ever managed this, and it may just be I've not got enough hair on my crown for the coverage, but it looks fine when in, but, whenever I use fibres, mainly Nanogen, if that's relevant, with Dermmatch on my head, come morning, brown mark on pillow, and a load of white scalp.

Am only talking crown area here, not the front part.

Dermmatch, then fibres, then volume hair spray still won't keep it in.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Nope, me neither.

I've been using nanogen and little bits of Mane hair spray, and like you, it looks good when in, but it'll come off on sofas,pillows,head rests etc. I'm near the end with concealers though - they are expensive, a crutch, and whilst they look great - you still have the same issue you would with a wig i.e you're worried someone might touch it.

I went on a guys weekend trip a few weeks back. And it was only one night - but we did some adventure stuff, then hit some bars, before walking home - I kept my beanie on to sleep in as I didn't want the dark brown fibres clogging up the pillow. Of course my friends seen it as a joke, "He fell asleep with his hat on" - I made up some excuse about getting in from the walk home to the lodge and fell asleep straight away, yet I didn't, I am rambling now, but in the main.

Concealers are a temporary measure only.

I am lucky that my job, I work often on my own or in the evenings and I can wear caps/beanies. I 'do' my hair occasionally, but it's a pain in the *** now - the mess, checking mirrors, lighting - I'm now thinning on the back of my head now too so I need to check that as well.

If you have extreme diffuse, you are probably better saving for treatment, shaving it or wigging it.

I know how good they look though - I see the difference if I put them in my hair from thinning to 'wow', but in the long-run it's just not worth it, IMO.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Some fair points, and I feel the pain about sleeping over, ANYWHERE.. it's a horrible dilemma. Not sure I'd agree with the 'not worth it'. I can't leave the house or be seen by anyone without this stuff. But I do have the crown thing going on which is completely bare after a night's sleep. And that's the lousiest thing about this stuff

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
At home you could trial sleeping with a "night cap". Sounds ridiculous, but if it helps I won't tell a soul.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Some fair points, and I feel the pain about sleeping over, ANYWHERE.. it's a horrible dilemma. Not sure I'd agree with the 'not worth it'. I can't leave the house or be seen by anyone without this stuff. But I do have the crown thing going on which is completely bare after a night's sleep. And that's the lousiest thing about this stuff

I am the same, buddy.

I'm so thankful that I don't have to wear it everyday though as I can get away with caps, etc at work, but it really does do a magnificent job, and I can see why people become addicted to it, but personally for me, I think I need to either make the transition in to a wig or shaving it all off. I'm nearing NW4 terrority and the thinning on the crown and top has speeded up these last few years.

It's such a confidence booster though. You come out of the shower looking like absolute ****, then spray in some fibres - and you look instantly 5-10 years younger.

I find hairspray does lock it in well though, and if you spray all around your hair - it looks like you've put wax, gel or hairspray in to your hair.

A 'night cap' is a great idea. Although, imagine the funny looks if you went anywhere or stayed over at a woman's with that on - like Scrooge or something from a Dickins novel set in jolly old England.

- - - Updated - - -

PS Espirit have you ever been caught wearing?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
At home you could trial sleeping with a "night cap". Sounds ridiculous, but if it helps I won't tell a soul.

Hah! Nice thought... but I'll wager it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever, It'd just come off inside the cap.

I am the same, buddy.

I'm so thankful that I don't have to wear it everyday though as I can get away with caps, etc at work, but it really does do a magnificent job, and I can see why people become addicted to it, but personally for me, I think I need to either make the transition in to a wig or shaving it all off. I'm nearing NW4 terrority and the thinning on the crown and top has speeded up these last few years.

It's such a confidence booster though. You come out of the shower looking like absolute ****, then spray in some fibres - and you look instantly 5-10 years younger.

I find hairspray does lock it in well though, and if you spray all around your hair - it looks like you've put wax, gel or hairspray in to your hair.

A 'night cap' is a great idea. Although, imagine the funny looks if you went anywhere or stayed over at a woman's with that on - like Scrooge or something from a Dickins novel set in jolly old England.

- - - Updated - - -

PS Espirit have you ever been caught wearing?

No, but maybe people are just polite. I've lessened my public appearances since this paranoia by a mile though, and rarely seen out without a baseball cap and I too work for myself so that't not a major issue, but lately I've not been so confident with it on, I'm getting that really sandy look on my crown now, which is probably what happens when the hair loss is getting more transparent on the head. Even Dermmatch doesn't colour the crown scalp now. It's not as convincing. Wig is a definite no go for me, I just couldn't do it, The paranoia would been tenfold. And surgeons won't come near diffuse, well honest ones anyway who say shock loss will be too great. So.. propecia here I go. Last resort, but just hope it grows and not only maintains because I need more. The front has become more receded now too which is why fibres alone on the back don't cure my misery... What did we do to deserve this eh? So many of you guys on here are really nice decent people. Life can be very cruel

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Have you tried a different sleeping position such as sleeping on your side as opposed to your back, stomach,etc.,? Best of luck with finasteride.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't wear concealers anymore, but when I did, what worked for me was using one of those smaller, cylindrical pillows on top of another pillow(my pillows were always pretty thin. Might not work as well if you have one of those huge, fluffy pillows). This way, neither pillow comes into contact with the hair on top of your head. It also helps if you sleep on your side, which I do anyway.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a different sleeping position such as sleeping on your side as opposed to your back, stomach,etc.,? Best of luck with finasteride.

I do usually sleep on my side, thank you, am dreading starting because I think once you're on, you're frightened to stop.

Don't wear concealers anymore, but when I did, what worked for me was using one of those smaller, cylindrical pillows on top of another pillow(my pillows were always pretty thin. Might not work as well if you have one of those huge, fluffy pillows). This way, neither pillow comes into contact with the hair on top of your head. It also helps if you sleep on your side, which I do anyway.

I actually sleep with 3 pillows...but they're not that thick. Do you mean the airline type style ones?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so your crown isn't touching anything, Don't know, I can see my crown still hitting that at some point? Not sure on this

M.G

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Toppik and it mostly stays on my head really. I don't use the hairspray either but I recently bought one and waiting for it to arrive.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If it stays on your head, then you have enough hair on it to play around with I'm guessing? Mind you, having said that, even when I had minimal loss, Toppik always ended up on the pillow....

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Toppik and it mostly stays on my head really. I don't use the hairspray either but I recently bought one and waiting for it to arrive.

Apologies in advance if it's not the right guy, but,

Is that you old fatso ;)?

greg711711

Reaction score
whenever i sleep out i bend the pillow in half and lay on the bent part. so its basically only contacting the area below the crown where the hair is permanent and i dont put concealer. no one has ever asked why but if they do you just say being propped up stops you from snoring lol. Its obviously not as comfortable as just flopping down on the pillow but it gets the job done when needed. side note: its crazy to think how many different ways hairloss disrupts your life. cant even lay down without having to deal with it

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
whenever i sleep out i bend the pillow in half and lay on the bent part. so its basically only contacting the area below the crown where the hair is permanent and i dont put concealer. no one has ever asked why but if they do you just say being propped up stops you from snoring lol. Its obviously not as comfortable as just flopping down on the pillow but it gets the job done when needed. side note: its crazy to think how many different ways hairloss disrupts your life. cant even lay down without having to deal with it

Tell me about it mate, the depression on a pretty much daily basis, ...people that don't go through it, haven't a clue!