Anyone Else Have Issues In The Wind?

Spark7

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi group, do you encounter any issues with how your hair looks around others when the wind is blowing more than 10-15 mph?

I always keep a hat on me so I can throw it on when needed but would like to avoid this sometimes. I also find piling on the hair spray does not work well as the wind still takes over.

I have a poly base (bonded) and I feel my hair generally looks fine except when the wind is blowing. My own hair fiber is thinner than average so the local company I go to orders 'thin fine hair' for the system with average density. Perhaps the thinner fiber causes more issues in the wind and I am thinking of going to average thickness in the hair fiber as it may have a bit more weight and not blow as much. However, I'm not sure if that will solve things and my concern is that it won't look as natural with my own hair.

Anyone else have solutions for how you handle the wind? Thanks!

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Spark,

I had some problems with this a few years ago, with my first salon-bought system, but not really now. Can you specify what the problem is exactly? Is it the added hair behaving differently and 'separating' from your natural hair so that the piece stands out? Or is it the full exposure of the hairline?

Noah

Spark7

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is more of the former as I wear my hair with bangs so I don't have much worry over the hairline.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Spark

That effect, when the hairpiece hair and your real hair react differently to the wind, is because there is a big difference between the 2 types of hair. The difference can be the type of hair - often balding guys' remaining hair is weak and thin and maybe a bit crinkly, whereas hairpiece hair is often strong and glossy, particularly if unprocessed Indian or Chinese hair has been used. Or it can be the ventilation - the way the hairpiece hair is knotted into the base may make it sit and move very differently from your natural hair.

There are 2 ways I think you could cure this. First, you can look at the density of your natural hair and how it sits in your scalp (direction and angle of emergence - in effect its "natural ventilation") and try to get your next piece to better reflect that natural hair. That may mean getting a piece made with different quality hair, or ventilated in a different way. It may also mean shaving off weak natural hair around the margins of your unit and getting a bigger unit, so that the unit is abutting good strong healthy hair. That always makes it easier to get a good blend.

Second, you could opt for a design which uses the edge of the hairpiece as part of the haircut, so that if the hairpiece hair and the natural hair behave differently it looks normal and doesn't matter. The obvious example is a undercut style, where the think hair on top is the piece, and the natural growing hair is the close cropped sides.

Noah