Anyone else amazed at how haphazard hairloss treatment is in 2013?

chrb

Reaction score
I know that there are treatments that are proven effective but you'd really think by now they would have been perfected more. What I mean is that you have 2 main treatments that are available on the market i.e finasteride and minoxidil. Neither was even intended to be a hair loss treatment and one comes with side effects bad enough to put a good amount of guys off from taking it. Since we now know that DHT is the main culprit of male pattern baldness I don't understand why there aren't more trials and studies being done to try and find a safe, effective DHT blocker that can be applied topically like minoxidil.

When you compare the advancements in hair loss treatment to another area such as technology it's astounding how few advancements there are. I mean minoxidil has been available since the late 80s and finasteride since the late 90s and what advancements have there been since then? minoxidil being available as a foam? I mean that's nice but just look at how much mobile phones have advanced in the last decade. It makes no sense to me that there wouldn't be better and safer products available on the market by now.

Would be interested to hear what other people think about this

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think we will have a cure in 5-7 years.

Which was also said 5-7 years ago and 5-7 years before that!

The cure is a hair transplant, that is it.

I think this is the only reason nothing better has come along. If hair transplant's didnt work then the industry would have nothing to make money on and would find something better.

chrb

Reaction score
Which was also said 5-7 years ago and 5-7 years before that!

The cure is a hair transplant, that is it.

I think this is the only reason nothing better has come along. If hair transplant's didnt work then the industry would have nothing to make money on and would find something better.

Yeah unfortunately I think you're right. At least for the near future.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I would agree with you some things like male pattern baldness have archaic treatments still and it has not really progressed or changed in 20+ years. Its barely a treatable condition and certainly not preventable or curable. Its your health or your hair right now. I guess if your rich and like invasive procedures, taking off work, and all that you could get a hair transplant to still look balding and probably go bald later anyways.
Right now shaving it or ignoring it might not be a bad option.

anonymous

Established Member
Reaction score
We've split and fused atoms and sent man into space but we can't understand why the hairs on our head disappear or what to do about it... gotta love how the world works.

chrb

Reaction score
Nothing. It's a run on joke that the cure will be here in 5 years.

Ah OK lol. Yeah I do read about how hair loss will be 'cured' all the time. To be honest I don't even know what a hair loss 'cure' would be. I'm guessing a DHT suppressant that's without side effects but I don't really see how that's possible. Anything that affects your hormones is surely going to come with some side effects for at least some people.

abcdefg

Reaction score
The human body like many things in nature does not obey the same rules for say splitting atoms or sending someone into space. Natures designs are extremely complicated in comparison to what man made things, and its expensive, time consuming to just learn a little bit about something happening. You have to figure out tons of pieces and then sometimes you cant ever figure out the relationships between them. There are good reasons most diseases like male pattern baldness cant be cured or treated because nothing in science helps it still all boils down to randomness and guessing if you find something useful or not

anonymous

Established Member
Reaction score
The human body like many things in nature does not obey the same rules for say splitting atoms or sending someone into space. Natures designs are extremely complicated in comparison to what man made things, and its expensive, time consuming to just learn a little bit about something happening. You have to figure out tons of pieces and then sometimes you cant ever figure out the relationships between them. There are good reasons most diseases like male pattern baldness cant be cured or treated because nothing in science helps it still all boils down to randomness and guessing if you find something useful or not
I agree with this, I was just commenting on exactly that; the small intricacies of nature are so complex and hard to solve compared to some of the amazing things humans have accomplished.