Anyone considering a hair system?

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
I am....and I'm actually keeping what I have or even have some slow regrowth...but it just isn't enough.

Realistically I might get substantial regrowth in a year or two...but then again maybe not. Right now I'm very dissatisfied with the density of my hair even though I'm only around a Norwood 3V. Been researching it and some hair systems look very good and aren't detectable at all.

Anybody have any experience with hair systems? Thoughts on going this route?

CCS

Reaction score
I'm NW2, or maybe 1.5, but my grafts are so thin that I'm considering shaving the front 4th of my head and attaching a system there, until HM comes out. It would have to be one impressive system though, even in the pool and the shower and up really close. What's the point in attracting women from far away if they get turned off when you finally get them where you want them? Systems are good for getting jobs though, but I can easily fool an employer with dermmatch.

kilgore

Reaction score
If you might get substantial regrowth in a year or two. I'd say wait the year or two, before making a decision on that. Wearing a piece might give you traction alopecia.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
kilgore said:
If you might get substantial regrowth in a year or two. I'd say wait the year or two, before making a decision on that. Wearing a piece might give you traction alopecia.

Highly unlikely to get traction alopecia nowdays, from a unit that is taped or bonded correctly.

Traction alopecia is found mainly in weave attachments or Hair Comb Clip attachment that isn' handled

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
ToupMaster said:
kilgore said:

Highly unlikely to get traction alopecia nowdays, from a unit that is taped or bonded correctly.

Traction alopecia is found mainly in weave attachments or Hair Comb Clip attachment that isn' handled

What about the glue that you use to bond the hair piece?? Doesn't that do damage to your follicle long term?

CCS

Reaction score
are you able to sweat? does your scalp feel fresh air?

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone shave the top of their head themselves before putting on their hair piece? Is that a huge pain in the ***?

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
[quote="What about the glue that you use to bond the hair piece?? Doesn't that do damage to your follicle long term?[/quote]

We have clients that have been bonding and/or taping for Years and Years and we still shave off hairs underneath that seem in no way affected by tapes, glues and goo's.....

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:

Nothing stops you from sweating... a full bonded unit... the sweat in the area of attachment would be absorbed by the bonding agent. A lace unit breaths best.... As for FRESH air.... we don't have any in the city.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
mulder said:
Does anyone shave the top of their head themselves before putting on their hair piece? Is that a huge pain in the ***?

If running a electric clipper or Bic razor over the top of your head, once every couple weeks, is something that you would consider to be a huge pain in the ***....
Then I would stay away from considering the wearing of a unit because you won't give it the effort.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
ToupMaster said:
mulder said:

If running a electric clipper or Bic razor over the top of your head, once every couple weeks, is something that you would consider to be a huge pain in the ***....
Then I would stay away from considering the wearing of a unit because you won't give it the effort.

Actually I'm willing to put in the effort just wondering how difficult it is...I suppose my question is more for the newbie. Is it easy for a newbie to screw up their shaving somehow??...the piece has to be put on properly as well...

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
ToupMaster said:
mulder said:

BTW, how much time do you think maintenance takes on average? Also what sort of yearly price are we looking at for the wearing of a hair system if you DIY?
Thanks

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
ToupMaster said:

Nothing stops you from sweating... a full bonded unit... the sweat in the area of attachment would be absorbed by the bonding agent. A lace unit breaths best.... As for FRESH air.... we don't have any in the city.

My scalp actually sweats a lot and I live in a somewhat humid environment (in the summer)...will I have any problem with hair piece coming off? I'd like to wear a longer haired denser piece...are they harder to keep on properly? I assume a denser longer haired piece would be harder to detect in terms of seeing any outline to it...but a denser piece might look more fake overall...I'm young with dense sides though, so I think I can pull it off.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
BTW Toupemaster, sorry for bombarding you with all these questions. Obviously very interested in doing this. Appreciate getting input from someone as experienced as you.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
I`m a do it yourselfer with hairpeces, and can tell you that its not difficult at all once you have gone through the learning curve. And that learning curve isnt much, really.
You do have to work on it though.
It becomes sort of like part of your hygien or grooming regimen, and just any other responsibility, there`ll be times when you just dont feel like it. But to have hair, or at least, look and feel like you have hair, its worth it.

If you`re going to give it a try, the very first thing you need to decide is the hairstyle you want to have. Knowing this will help you decide on a base material. You live in a hot and humid climate seasonally, and you want the scalp to breathe
(everyone should want the scalp to get air) so I recommend a #64 lace base.

All lace too, none of that poly band around the edges. You want it to look and feel light and real.
I use all lace myself and I can feel the wind on my scalp and the water and shampoo on my scalp, and thats what we want.
Longer and denser hair you say, thats another good reason to go with #64 lace. The only other base I`d tag on that would be one of the skin type bases but they dont allow good airflow.

Maintenance for myself, I shampoo 3 times a week, and make sure to get my scalp soaking wet with warm water on the other days. I mean soaking all the way to the scalp. This keeps the scalp clean. It also temporarily loosens the bond, but once the hair dries, the bond re-establishes itself and is just like brand new.
I used to take it off once a week, clean off the adhesive and re-apply. It would take me around an hour, because I take my time.

Now since I use all lace, I remove it about once every 3 weeks, which I can do as long as I follow the regimen I mentioned above. (washing 3 times a week, soaking wet warm rinse in between)

I have to do some touch up work in between, such as in the front. I wear my hairstyle combed forwards from the crown with the very front spiked straight upwards. That front takes alot of abuse since theres nothing to protect it from dust, dirt, etc so it gets a bit dirty. The front is also the first place to want to loosen. So while its still wet from the warm soaking, I`ll use a q-tip to twirl some of the adhesive off and apply a bit of new.

Sometimes, after doing this, I`ll seal it with some liquid bandage or document sealer so that frontal adhesive area stays dry and protected from forehead sweat, humidity, pollution, etc

I even do my own haircuts. There are vacuum haircutters that you can buy and do your own haircuts. Its so simple you`d be shocked how easy it is. I used a RoboCut (from robocut.com) but there are others like Flowbee, Wahl Comb N Cut, etc

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
mulder said:
BTW Toupemaster, sorry for bombarding you with all these questions. Obviously very interested in doing this. Appreciate getting input from someone as experienced as you.

Oh goody....
I just read Michigan Baldy's response, and it all sounds good to me,
hopefully answers all your questions so I don't have to type anything more.

He knows of what he speaks and hasn't given out any bullshit that I've noticed to this point.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
MichiganBaldy said:
I`m a do it yourselfer with hairpeces, and can tell you that its not difficult at all once you have gone through the learning curve. And that learning curve isnt much, really.
You do have to work on it though.
It becomes sort of like part of your hygien or grooming regimen, and just any other responsibility, there`ll be times when you just dont feel like it. But to have hair, or at least, look and feel like you have hair, its worth it.

If you`re going to give it a try, the very first thing you need to decide is the hairstyle you want to have. Knowing this will help you decide on a base material. You live in a hot and humid climate seasonally, and you want the scalp to breathe
(everyone should want the scalp to get air) so I recommend a #64 lace base.

All lace too, none of that poly band around the edges. You want it to look and feel light and real.
I use all lace myself and I can feel the wind on my scalp and the water and shampoo on my scalp, and thats what we want.
Longer and denser hair you say, thats another good reason to go with #64 lace. The only other base I`d tag on that would be one of the skin type bases but they dont allow good airflow.

Maintenance for myself, I shampoo 3 times a week, and make sure to get my scalp soaking wet with warm water on the other days. I mean soaking all the way to the scalp. This keeps the scalp clean. It also temporarily loosens the bond, but once the hair dries, the bond re-establishes itself and is just like brand new.
I used to take it off once a week, clean off the adhesive and re-apply. It would take me around an hour, because I take my time.

Now since I use all lace, I remove it about once every 3 weeks, which I can do as long as I follow the regimen I mentioned above. (washing 3 times a week, soaking wet warm rinse in between)

I have to do some touch up work in between, such as in the front. I wear my hairstyle combed forwards from the crown with the very front spiked straight upwards. That front takes alot of abuse since theres nothing to protect it from dust, dirt, etc so it gets a bit dirty. The front is also the first place to want to loosen. So while its still wet from the warm soaking, I`ll use a q-tip to twirl some of the adhesive off and apply a bit of new.

Sometimes, after doing this, I`ll seal it with some liquid bandage or document sealer so that frontal adhesive area stays dry and protected from forehead sweat, humidity, pollution, etc

I even do my own haircuts. There are vacuum haircutters that you can buy and do your own haircuts. Its so simple you`d be shocked how easy it is. I used a RoboCut (from robocut.com) but there are others like Flowbee, Wahl Comb N Cut, etc

Thanks for the info MB. I've seen the clips of your video and heard all the good reviews, I'll probably be getting it soon since I want to save money and do it on my own. Is it possible to have a thick longer haired piece that looks totally realistic? Do you find your hair system comes off a little whenever you sweat a lot? If you maintain is well what's the likelihood you'll have an 'accident' and have it come off? has it ever happened to you? Finally, what's a realistic cost estimate for maintaining a high quality system on a yearly basis?

thanks again!

CCS

Reaction score
How does it feel when you put your hands through it? Would a woman feel the difference?

What about looking at the hair line? I want 1.5 inch hair on top and 1/2 inch hair on the sides. Is that realistic?

You said you shampoo it. How long does it last before you have to get another one? Does removing it wear it out, or is it just the time factor?

So as far a swimming goes, i guess I should not swim under water, and just dunk maybe once so people see it wet, but towards the end so the chlorine has less time. I doubt I could hide this from a wife, but if I fool other singles till HM comes out, that is enough.

I think it would have to be a full head piece. If you just did the top, you'd have a hard time shaving it just right.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it would have to be a full head piece. If you just did the top, you'd have a hard time shaving it just right.

A full head piece!

Your doubling your cost, and troubles.........
IMHO, your making a mistake.

CCS

Reaction score
Remember guys: once you have a lace, you don't have to pay for hair cuts ever again. Or in my case, I never have to risk giving myself a bad hair cut again. I bet those laces hare ideal length strands, like a perfect hair cut every day.

I just hope people who've seen me before will not tell everyone I'm wearing a lace. You can get far with one woman, but if she finds out, she may tell everyone. I'll wear a baseball cap all the time for a few weeks before putting on my lase so people forget what my hair looked like.

I just hope a $2-300 lace lasts at least 4 months. But if it fools women even up close, I'd pay that even more often.