Anyone considering a hair system?

CCS

Reaction score
ToupMaster,

Are these designed to look good at work, or to fool women up close putting their hands in a guy's hair?

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
How does it feel when you put your hands through it? Would a woman feel the difference?

What about looking at the hair line? I want 1.5 inch hair on top and 1/2 inch hair on the sides. Is that realistic?

You said you shampoo it. How long does it last before you have to get another one? Does removing it wear it out, or is it just the time factor?

So as far a swimming goes, i guess I should not swim under water, and just dunk maybe once so people see it wet, but towards the end so the chlorine has less time. I doubt I could hide this from a wife, but if I fool other singles till HM comes out, that is enough.

I think it would have to be a full head piece. If you just did the top, you'd have a hard time shaving it just right.

All this time on treatments, a hair transplant and now you want a full head hair system?? :bravo:

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info MB. I've seen the clips of your video and heard all the good reviews, I'll probably be getting it soon since I want to save money and do it on my own. Is it possible to have a thick longer haired piece that looks totally realistic? Do you find your hair system comes off a little whenever you sweat a lot? If you maintain is well what's the likelihood you'll have an 'accident' and have it come off? has it ever happened to you? Finally, what's a realistic cost estimate for maintaining a high quality system on a yearly basis?

thanks again![/quote]

It is possible to get a realistic long haired thicker density yes, but ONLY if it suits your facial and exisiting hair structure.
The density of the hair, especially in the front, needs to match the density and color of your eyebrows. If you have thin eyebrows with a low, thick, and dark colored hairline, it`ll look like a wig. Ever see this on guys, especially older people? It looks wrong as hell, doesnt it? Its the thin eyebrwos and thick hairline that gives away obvious hairpeices. So make sure to avoid that common mistake.

My hair doesnt come off, not even a little, during sweating or swimming. Its never came off. Its not going to! Thats the funniest question people ask. Too much TELEVISION! lol!
Think about this: Your hair does nothing all day. It just sets there, doing nothing at all other than providing us with plummeage. Thats it, thats all.

It doesnt get used as a hammer, a knife, a tool, or anything so its not going to come off!
People rarely touch your hair and pull hard at it, unless you live in some touchy feely world, one which I myself do not.

Women have run their hands all through my hairpiece during sex and have not felt anything. It will not come off during normal human activity including working out, swimming, shampooing, motorcycle with no helmet, making out, and screwing.

Dont get me wrong, it can be pulled off, or partially off, but someone would have to be making some effort to hurt me in order to do that. I dont think I`ll find myself be in a situation where it`ll be yanked on that hard. But like I said, it would have to be pulled on hard, and it would hurt, probably would bleed too.

Now, if you want one that wont come off without ripping part of your scalp off with it, you can get that type of base and bond. It wont look and feel quite as natural as an all lace, but an all skin unit with a cemented bond (like they use in salon clubs) will not come off, it can only be torn off in sections just like your own hair would if someone yanked hard enough.

Chlorine is a problem for human hair type hairpieces. If you swim in alot of chlorine pools, you can either use synthetic haired hairpeices, wear a swim cap, or dont get too much of the chlorine water on it for long periods. Be sure and rinse off as soon as you can with fresh water.
It fades the color, and can do so rather quickly. Color can be restored, but of course its easier to avoid the problem.

My annual cost including everything is around 1200 dollars, give or take.
I buy hair from several different places, I pay anywheres from 125 each to 240 each, and I buy 6-7 new ones a year. I have paid 300 apiece, but I wont be buying them 300 dollar ones much anymore. So next year my cost will be at the lower end.

Adhesives cost next to nothing, about 50 bucks a year on them, softening products hell theres only one, 12 bucks a bottle and I only need two a year, special shampoo and conditioner, like 16 a bottle two or three times a year, I use a sunscreen for hair to keep from sunfade for like 5 bucks, and I use a coloring product specific for hairpieces which is inexpensive too, maybe 16-20 bucks a bottle, and I think I only use one bottle a year.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks again MB...I think your DVD will be well worth the money.

What are recommendations for places to order hair systems from. Hair Direct seems pretty good but the cost is a little on the high side. Any other places you recommend?

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
This link is to some pics of a shorter hairstyle I wore with one of my super fine swiss lace hairpieces back in 2004.
This was an early experiment into short haired hairpieces, so it was an older hairpiece that I did this with. No sense experimenting on a brand new one, as we know that experimenting implies the possibility of failure and thus the discarding of some of the test materials......

http://community.webshots.com/user/jadenkrosis

I had concluded that the results were minimally acceptable, however there is room for some improvements.
For example, the direction of the hair in the hairpiece itself, from the "SFS short" and the "Even Shorter" albums, does not match the direction of my own hairs on the sides.
Normally, a hair direction problem is easily corrected by combing or brushing the hair, however, when you cut the hairs on a hairpeice as short as I did in these pics, you`ll find that the hairs will not respond to attempts at styling.
When its this short, they tend to be locked into whatever direction they were put in when the hairpiece was made.

So what you need to do is make a special order with specific hair directions, such as forwards from the crown, with a spiked front, or try what they call freestyle, where the hairs are laid in so that they are in a more neutral direction.

In my case, the hairpiece I used was a flatback, where all the hairs are laid back from the front, so they have a natural tendancy to be slicked straight back.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
About the best price you can get is from either Maxpiece.com or Toplace.com.
The hairs you see in my pics and videos are from toplace.com
I havent gotten around to trying maxpiece yet, but I think they are among the cheapest lace pieces around.

CCS

Reaction score

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont know what Norwood I am. I never did calculate my Norwood. I am almost completely bald in front, with maybe 8-9 hairs there total, which I shave off. I`ve never had any transplants.
Heres a link to a hairpiece website with my recent before and after, with a different hair style.

http://www.hairsite.com/classifieds/?vi ... =1&lang=en

I`m in the first two pics, and that other guy below, he must be from Europe.......

I did that haircut this summer. I went with more gray hairs and more temple recession so that I look more my age. I`ll be 40 in a couple months.
But I think that made me look too old, so I`m going back to that other shorter, darker, more hairier in the temple type of rug.

CCS

Reaction score
Are there pieces that bring the temples forwards?

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes I`ve never used them but some people do. They have the usual shape that covers the very top, but then in the front and side area (temple) they have sort of a flap that hangs down. Some guys refer to them as temple flaps.
A guy can pretty much get any shape he wants, by making a simple template from tape and plastic wrap of the area that you want covered, then send it in.
Them people in China will make anything.

I think that type would be a pain to work with though, and I think it`d be tough keeping that area natural looking. I prefer to simply order something thats a little wider on top and in front, carefully trim it to the shape I need, and place it a bit further down my forehead to help cover the temple area more.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
You are correct that temple flaps or full mens wigs are difficult to achieve a correct look in the side areas especialy when trying to achieve a short look.... a longer look OK..... but a clippered short side... is a b**ch to achieve and more so to maintain after a few on and off procedures.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
If I got a hair piece and wore it for a while and decided to grow my original hair back could I wear a hair system over top of my growing hair?? I assume I could if I didn't use a glue...

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
mulder said:
If I got a hair piece and wore it for a while and decided to grow my original hair back could I wear a hair system over top of my growing hair?? I assume I could if I didn't use a glue...

Yes!

Bonds and Tape could be used while the hair is short, thou a bit more care would have to be used in removing the goo from the hair.
Many of the older units were held on with comb clips and these could be used on the sides and back of a lace unit.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
ToupMaster said:
mulder said:

Yes!

Bonds and Tape could be used while the hair is short, thou a bit more care would have to be used in removing the goo from the hair.
Many of the older units were held on with comb clips and these could be used on the sides and back of a lace unit.

Any opinions on who makes the best quality and least expensive hair pieces online? Can I get just about any look I want with a hair system or are there some limitations (aside from the hair not looking real if you change it too much or make it too dense?). I've pretty much decided I'm going to give this a go.

Thanks again

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
Michigan Baldy seems to recommend Top Lace
I personally don't have any experience with on-line ordering as I have my own shop contacts.....

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
How long would I be able to grow my hair underneath if I phasing out of the hair system?? could I actually grow it out an inch or two and keep a piece overtop without it looking totally fake or coming off??