Anybody try fighting hair loss by blocking cytokines?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been researching the link between cytokines and hair growth inhibition and believe blocking cytokines can cause hair growth for some people. Has anyone tried this yet? Results?

I just took my first dosage of Otezla today to fight psoriasis which mostly manifests on my scalp, nose, and eyebrows. I've had psoriasis for about the same amount of time that I've had hair loss. My first bad flare up was within a few months of me noticing my hair was starting to thin, 10 years ago.

When I ordered Otezla I didn't even think about my psoriasis being linked to my hair loss since 90% of the time it is very minor and mostly unnoticeable to other people. Research I've seen has demonstrated that blocking cytokines can cause significant hair growth in as little as 6 weeks and most saw full regrowth by week 16.

I'll try to update my RU58841 thread more often to track if adding this to my routine has been beneficial or not. I slacked on updates for a while due to having a death in my family followed by the death of a friend.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm at 1 month. I've noticed a lot of new short thin hairs. Hoping they turn into something. Mostly noticeable at hairline.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm at 1 month. I've noticed a lot of new short thin hairs. Hoping they turn into something. Mostly noticeable at hairline.
Thanks for the update. I’m interested in starting Otezla too. Did you have to have it prescribed or did you find a source online?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I’m interested in starting Otezla too. Did you have to have it prescribed or did you find a source online?
I found a source online. I get generic otezla from Alldaychemist.com. I believe that anyone dealing with skin issues on the scalp,or chronic inflammation, shourd give it a go.

It does mess up your stomach in ther beginning, you'll have a fucked up stomach shortly after taking a dose, but now I don't really notice anything.

I should know in about 2 more months how much of an impact it truly had... studies I read showed significant results after 3rd to 4th month.

Ticken

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for starting an Otezla thread!
Otezla looks to be a very promising cytokine blocking drug and I'm also interested in trying it. My lichen planopilaris group has a few people using otezla as part of their lpp treatment protocol and getting very good regrowth, even into their scarred areas which are generally considered to be unsalvageable.

May I ask, Have you done any lab testing for general inflammation (CRP, ESR) or cytokine (IL-6, -8, -12) levels before starting treatment with otezla? Are there any other inflammation markers or biomarkers you plan to monitor while on otezla?

Last edited:

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Otezla looks to be a very promising cytokine blocking drug and I'm also interested in trying it. My lichen planopilaris group has a few people using Otezla as part of their LPP treatment protocol and getting very good regrowth, even into their scarred areas which are generally considered to be unsalvageable.

May I ask, Have you done any lab testing for general inflammation (CRP, ESR) or cytokine (IL-6, -8, -12) levels before starting treatment with Otezla?
What’s your LPP group called?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Otezla looks to be a very promising cytokine blocking drug and I'm also interested in trying it. My lichen planopilaris group has a few people using Otezla as part of their LPP treatment protocol and getting very good regrowth, even into their scarred areas which are generally considered to be unsalvageable.

May I ask, Have you done any lab testing for general inflammation (CRP, ESR) or cytokine (IL-6, -8, -12) levels before starting treatment with Otezla?
I haven't had any lab testing and self-prescribed. I knew I had psoriasis, and inflammation was visible, so figured I'd give it a go. My skin is clearing up a lot, so even without hair regrowth I'd consider it a personal win, but I'm still pretty hopeful about regrowth just based on what is clearly visible at my hairline.

Ticken

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I haven't had any lab testing and self-prescribed. I knew I had psoriasis, and inflammation was visible, so figured I'd give it a go. My skin is clearing up a lot, so even without hair regrowth I'd consider it a personal win, but I'm still pretty hopeful about regrowth just based on what is clearly visible at my hairline.
That sounds very promising for only one month on otezla.
May I ask, are you utilizing any other cytokine blocking treatments?

Ticken

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah I’ve heard of them. Is Otezla that effective at regrowing hair on scar tissue too? How old are the scars in this case?
For some people it seems to be effective. I can recall at least two people in that group that have shown before and after photos of their patchy hairless areas where hair appeared to have regrown and filled in from the edges towards the center. It's not as thick in the center but still hugely improved from where they started. I'm not sure how old the scars were but both people had tried several medications before trying otezla.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I found a source online. I get generic otezla from Alldaychemist.com. I believe that anyone dealing with skin issues on the scalp,or chronic inflammation, shourd give it a go.

It does mess up your stomach in ther beginning, you'll have a fucked up stomach shortly after taking a dose, but now I don't really notice anything.

I should know in about 2 more months how much of an impact it truly had... studies I read showed significant results after 3rd to 4th month.
Is it the generic version you're buying off that site? How convinced are you of it's legitimacy?

I also have minor psoriasis, and get the "marks", redness and bumps on my hair where it's receding but also at the nape always has some acne like legions and it's always very itchy all over. I have a doctor appt later in the month and I was going to be asking for otezla but the side effects overall do not seem very severe and I'd probably be comfortable self medicating.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it the generic version you're buying off that site? How convinced are you of it's legitimacy?

I also have minor psoriasis, and get the "marks", redness and bumps on my hair where it's receding but also at the nape always has some acne like legions and it's always very itchy all over. I have a doctor appt later in the month and I was going to be asking for otezla but the side effects overall do not seem very severe and I'd probably be comfortable self medicating.
Yes the generic. I've used that site for years and trust it because of the undeniable side effects I've had from some of their meds. My psoriasis is also clearing up pretty fast, I'm on week 5 and my skin is already clearing up in some spots that I've had no luck with when utilizing other treatments.

The only side effect I've had is the stomach pains during the first week..I'd take a dosage and it would feel like I ate tacos with a laxative. By week 2 it was just a slight discomfort. Now I only notice it if I dose without food.

The only downside of ordering off site vs prescribed from a doctor is that you don't get the smaller dosages for the first 5 day. It is supposed to be 10mg at first, working up to 30mg. I just split them and took 15mg twice a day and then just went straight to 30mg per dosage on day 6.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Otezla looks to be a very promising cytokine blocking drug and I'm also interested in trying it. My lichen planopilaris group has a few people using otezla as part of their lpp treatment protocol and getting very good regrowth, even into their scarred areas which are generally considered to be unsalvageable.

May I ask, Have you done any lab testing for general inflammation (CRP, ESR) or cytokine (IL-6, -8, -12) levels before starting treatment with otezla? Are there any other inflammation markers or biomarkers you plan to monitor while on otezla?
Have you tried derma-rolling? That healed all of the scars on top of my head. They would scab over every time for maybe six months so that was great in terms of immediate feed-back instead of having to wait 12 months for any new hair to come in, which I wouldn't be able to attribute to any one thing. It appears that new follicles have been regenerated in those spaces. Micro-needling to me, is like scary in terms of its effectiveness all over the body, age spots or wrinkles, etc. Regenerating new follicles? And it's just a little hand tool.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tried derma-rolling? That healed all of the scars on top of my head. They would scab over every time for maybe six months so that was great in terms of immediate feed-back instead of having to wait 12 months for any new hair to come in, which I wouldn't be able to attribute to any one thing. It appears that new follicles have been regenerated in those spaces. Micro-needling to me, is like scary in terms of its effectiveness all over the body, age spots or wrinkles, etc. Regenerating new follicles? And it's just a little hand tool.
I figure this is a good way of filling in scar tissue with new follicles but the risk is that your LPP would flare if you wound your scalp.

Ticken

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hey janey!
I haven't tried derma rolling but may give it a try in the future if/when my scalp is more stabilized/pain free.

In just the last month, I've figured out I have a localized inflammation/autoimmune condition (LPP or something very similar) in the hair follicle in addition to androgenic alopecia. It seems there's a lot of potential treatments for it but sadly they are very hit and miss and don't work for everyone with the condition. Hopefully, I can find a protocol that can reduce inflammation/autoimmune activity and help with regrowth. A treatment that reduces/blocks cytokine activity may be the key.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey janey!
I haven't tried derma rolling but may give it a try in the future if/when my scalp is more stabilized/pain free.

In just the last month, I've figured out I have a localized inflammation/autoimmune condition (LPP or something very similar) in the hair follicle in addition to androgenic alopecia. It seems there's a lot of potential treatments for it but sadly they are very hit and miss and don't work for everyone with the condition. Hopefully, I can find a protocol that can reduce inflammation/autoimmune activity and help with regrowth. A treatment that reduces/blocks cytokine activity may be the key.
Just as an addition, if you do end up microneedling, you’ll also want to overexpress shh. Azelaic acid and minoxidil might be a good way to do this:

This maximizes hair follicle neogenesis through WNT (wounding/minoxidil) and shh activation (azelaic acid and minoxidil post wounding).

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
hey janey!

Hiya!

I guess since you have had decades of unopposed estrogen, things are different but if you copied my protocol or @bridgeburn, why wouldn't it work for you?