Anybody tried to dissolve curcumin in a skin cream (cetaphil

michael barry

Reaction score
Anybody tried to dissolve curcumin in a skin cream (cetaphil, etc.)

If we could get curcumin to be in a topical where it didn't stain...................................

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
Androscience is working on an oral drug ASCJ-M5....that takes care of internal stuff (i.e. prostate etc). And all ASCJ compounds are basically potent curcumin. So if we just take curcumin supplement internally, it should an effect on scalp too, wouldn't it?

Also, do you think that topical ASCJ-9 stuff would get rid of body hair and probably also make the beard thinner?

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Michael,

I read a post not long ago here or in HLH about a guy who had added regular curcumin to his Nizoral shampoo bottle.

I believe that he said it did not stain and was pleased with the results.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I heard awhile ago that using a different kind of curcumin would no sain the scalp and would still be effective. I actually bought it, (tetrahydrocurcuminoids) but never came around to actually mixing it.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Curcumin has very low water solubility but dissolves like magic in oil as anyone can easily find out for themselves. Though getting a bunch of greasy curcumin off your head may seem like a nightmare it should actually dissolve better in a shampoo which is mainly detergent than in water. I dont know how well it would wash out but apparently someone seems to find it does. I am not familiar with cetaphil Michael - what is it about that particular cream that you believe might help avoid staining? Almost as bad as the skin staining is the mess it can make of your sink....
hh

holly

Reaction score
Do you guys think the THC (white curcumin from Ancient Way) would not be as effective as the yellow?

I bought some and was able to dissolve it perfectly in a little bit of alcohol. (1 gram THC to about 1/2 teaspoon of everclear). I then mixed it with about two oz of seaemollient gel from Garden of Wisdom and a smidge of poly 80. I haven't tried this concoction on my hair yet, but have indeed used sea emollient and sea kelp bioferment (supposed to be good for hair according to Skin Actives) on my wet hair before after shampooing and it dries very nicely and gives the hair a little bit of lift and thickness, much like any hair gel would. No staining and very cosmetically acceptable.

michael barry

Reaction score
Holly,

Ive got the list of curcumoids and their cell-free and whole-cell alpha five inhibition ...................let me paste it:

TABLE 5
Inhibition of 5 α-reductase isozymes by curcumin and related
compoundsa
5 α-Reductase
Whole-cell
Cell-Free assay IC50 (µM) assay IC50 (µM)
Compound Type 1 Type 2 Type 1 Type 2
Curcumin 3 (95) 5 (87) 9 (99) 7 (99)
Tetrahydrocurcumin 80 (56) 29 (73) NDb ND
Demethoxy- >100 (23) >100 (42) ND ND
tetrahydrocurcumin
4-hydroxy-3- >100 (10) >100 (-60) ND ND
methoxy-
cinnamaldehyde
Coniferol >100 (10) 100 (49) ND ND
4-(4-hydroxy-3- >100 (3) >100 (4) ND ND
methoxyphenol)-3-
buten-2-one
Ferulic Acid >100 (0) >100 (18) ND ND
Capsaicin >100 (0) >100 (8) ND ND
Eugenol >100 (0) 100 (50) ND ND

Curcumin got a 99 percent inhibition of both types of alpha five reductase in the whole cell assay, tetrahydrocurcumin was a bit less than that. However, by just using more of the stuff.....................the inhibition would probably be higher. I dont know what the composition of white curcumin is, but its almost assuredly an alpha five inhibitor also.

Harold,

Cetaphil is a common skin cream. Its kind of like a cheaper Oil of Olay or something. Alot of guys crush their spironolactone tablets up and mix it in the stuff. Ive seen curcumin as an ingredient in a shampoo before (I googled that once). I never thought of trying to mix it in shampoo. That might be a good idea..........................if it doesnt stain your scalp yellow.
Curcumin has to be the most staining substance Ive ever handled other than industrial lubricant. You touch it, and its everywhere. I understand some kind of madder plant has a red dye that is staining beyond belief also......

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
I washed my hair last night with a mix of a teaspoon of regular curcumin with 2 teaspoons of Piroctone Olamine shampoo. Left the suds more than 5 minutes. No stain at all.

alkulk

Established Member
Reaction score
You mean you washed with curcuma powder and there was no staining???

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
alkulk,

That is correct. NO STAINING AT ALL. The mix I made with
regular yellow-orangy curcuma was very thick.

I had my doubts about the staining so I first test it on my hand. I left the shampoo for about 7 minutes on my head. It washed out perfectly.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
patagonia said:
alkulk,

That is correct. NO STAINING AT ALL. The mix I made with
regular yellow-orangy curcuma was very thick.

I had my doubts about the staining so I first test it on my hand. I left the shampoo for about 7 minutes on my head. It washed out perfectly.

Interesting, however, I am a bit skeptical though. If it's not staining at all, I'd assume that the ingredients in curcum aren't making their way through your skin either, because the color is part of the curcumin.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
goata007,

makes me wonder as well...
observing how well the fine curcuma powder dissolves in the shampoo, I believe it might have a good
chance of penetrating. As explained by the veterans in here, things penetrate the scalp very well while in the shower (shampooing). Curcuma is cheap and washing our hair takes a few minutes only...so why not?

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
It's definitely worth a shot...tomorrow i'll buy some J&J baby shampoo, add some curcumin to it and try it for a month on my left arm. I'll post my results after a month.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I am interested in too also taking curcumin orally...

Curcumin, also known as diferuloylmethane, is a photochemical found in the spice turmeric. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, and may help prevent the development of a variety of conditions related to oxidative and free-radical damage, including cataracts, heart disease, and cancer.

Laboratory studies have shown that curcumin inhibits the production of lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), two enzymes that are involved in promoting and maintaining inflammation in the body. By reducing the effects of these enzymes, curcumin may help relieve inflammation symptoms of arthritis sufferers. Indian researchers found that turmeric (the spice in which curcumin naturally occurs) was as effective as prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) when used to treat joint pain and swelling in people with arthritis, without side effects such as abdominal bleeding or stomach upset commonly associated with prolonged use of NSAIDs.

Curcumin is currently being studied for its possible use in preventing or slowing the progression Alzheimer’s disease. (It has been theorized that Alzheimer’s may be caused, at least in part, by inflammation in the brain.)

Curcumin helps prevent the DNA mutations that can lead to cancer. In one study, smokers that took just 1 teaspoon of turmeric each day for 30 days had lower levels of cancer-causing mutagens in their urine. Researchers at the University of Chicago found that curcumin also inhibits the growth of H. pylori, a bacteria believed to cause stomach and colon cancer.

Curcumin keeps the heart healthy by preventing a plaque build-up in the arteries, which can lead to atherosclerosis. In one study, participants taking just 500 milligrams of curcumin each day significantly reduced their cholesterol levels in as little as 10 days. Preliminary research indicates that curcumin may also help lower blood pressure and prevent blood clots.

A natural detoxifier, curcumin helps protect the liver from the damaging effects of alcohol, toxic chemicals, and even some pharmaceutical drugs. It also stimulates the production of bile, which is needed to digest fat, and kills salmonella bacteria and protozoa that can cause diarrhea. Commission E, a group of experts that evaluates the safety and efficacy of herbs for the German government, approves the use of turmeric for indigestion.

Both tumeric and curcumin supplements are also available in capsule and liquid extract form. However, curcumin supplements have been found to be more effective for treatment of arthritis. Follow dosage instructions on the packaging.

No toxic side effects have been linked to the use of curcumin, but people taking blood thinners should not use this herb medicinally, as it may increase the action of these medications.

Curcumin looks pretty good for you so far...

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I am interested in too also taking curcumin orally...

Curcumin, also known as diferuloylmethane, is a photochemical found in the spice turmeric. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, and may help prevent the development of a variety of conditions related to oxidative and free-radical damage, including cataracts, heart disease, and cancer.

Laboratory studies have shown that curcumin inhibits the production of lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), two enzymes that are involved in promoting and maintaining inflammation in the body. By reducing the effects of these enzymes, curcumin may help relieve inflammation symptoms of arthritis sufferers. Indian researchers found that turmeric (the spice in which curcumin naturally occurs) was as effective as prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) when used to treat joint pain and swelling in people with arthritis, without side effects such as abdominal bleeding or stomach upset commonly associated with prolonged use of NSAIDs.

Curcumin is currently being studied for its possible use in preventing or slowing the progression Alzheimer’s disease. (It has been theorized that Alzheimer’s may be caused, at least in part, by inflammation in the brain.)

Curcumin helps prevent the DNA mutations that can lead to cancer. In one study, smokers that took just 1 teaspoon of turmeric each day for 30 days had lower levels of cancer-causing mutagens in their urine. Researchers at the University of Chicago found that curcumin also inhibits the growth of H. pylori, a bacteria believed to cause stomach and colon cancer.

Curcumin keeps the heart healthy by preventing a plaque build-up in the arteries, which can lead to atherosclerosis. In one study, participants taking just 500 milligrams of curcumin each day significantly reduced their cholesterol levels in as little as 10 days. Preliminary research indicates that curcumin may also help lower blood pressure and prevent blood clots.

A natural detoxifier, curcumin helps protect the liver from the damaging effects of alcohol, toxic chemicals, and even some pharmaceutical drugs. It also stimulates the production of bile, which is needed to digest fat, and kills salmonella bacteria and protozoa that can cause diarrhea. Commission E, a group of experts that evaluates the safety and efficacy of herbs for the German government, approves the use of turmeric for indigestion.

Both tumeric and curcumin supplements are also available in capsule and liquid extract form. However, curcumin supplements have been found to be more effective for treatment of arthritis. Follow dosage instructions on the packaging.

No toxic side effects have been linked to the use of curcumin, but people taking blood thinners should not use this herb medicinally, as it may increase the action of these medications.

Curcumin looks pretty good for you so far...

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
If curcumin was effective in the scalp after oral administration then we probably would have heard about it being associated with low libido etc. Or you may as well take dutasteride. anyway it isnt particularly effective orally because it - like EGCG - is a powerful antioxidant that is easily broken down.
hh

"Little curcumin, when eaten, is absorbed – 2 to 10 grams of curcumin alone resulted in undetectable to very low serum levels.[17] Curcumin is unstable in the gut, and the traces that pass through the GI tract rapidly degrades or is conjugated through glucuronidation. Co-supplementation with 20 mg of piperine (extracted from black pepper) significantly increased the absorption of curcumin by 2000% in a study funded by a prominent manufacturer of piperine[17]. However, due to its effects on drug metabolism, piperine should be taken cautiously (if at all) by individuals taking other medications. Some benefits of curcumin, such as the potential protection from colon cancer, may not require systemic absorption. Alternatively, dissolving curcumin in hot water prior to ingestion, or in warm oily liquids, appears to increase bioavailability, however no published studies to date have documented this. Cooking with curcumin and oil may increase absorption, however peer-reviewed scientific literature has not documented this, while the literature has documented concerns regarding the heat stability and degradation of curcumin in the gut."

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
harold said:
If curcumin was effective in the scalp after oral administration then we probably would have heard about it being associated with low libido etc. Or you may as well take dutasteride. anyway it isnt particularly effective orally because it - like EGCG - is a powerful antioxidant that is easily broken down.
."

But curcumin is not only good for male pattern baldness because of its anti androgenic affect, it has some other good male pattern baldness fighting qualities, correct? look at indian people, it seems thatthey have much less male pattern baldness.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
TABLE 5
Inhibition of 5 α-reductase isozymes by curcumin and related
compoundsa
5 α-Reductase
Whole-cell
Cell-Free assay IC50 (µM) assay IC50 (µM)
Compound Type 1 Type 2 Type 1 Type 2
Curcumin 3 (95) 5 (87) 9 (99) 7 (99)
Tetrahydrocurcumin 80 (56) 29 (73) NDb ND
Demethoxy- >100 (23) >100 (42) ND ND
tetrahydrocurcumin

Curcumin got a 99 percent inhibition of both types of alpha five reductase in the whole cell assay, tetrahydrocurcumin was a bit less than that. However, by just using more of the stuff.....................the inhibition would probably be higher. I dont know what the composition of white curcumin is, but its almost assuredly an alpha five inhibitor also.

michael,
what do all those values next to curcumin mean? I'm thinking about giving 500mg curcumin(with bioperine) from LifeExtension a try, what do you think?