Any Simple Trick To Remove Hairs From Tape Around Perimeter? I'm Pulling Out Too Many

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

So I've had my system with my current hairstyle for a little over a week. The first style was an exposed hairline and a nightmare to maintain. So I went back and got it cut similar to @BaldBearded and now I can say that I love the system and the unexposed hairline. It has really taken years off my face.

However, I'm experiencing a problem. I have to change the tape every three days because it just starts giving way especially at the back and sides. I use Walker Ultra Hold Minis so it's pretty strong stuff I think, but nevertheless the tape starts to give way. I sweat like a pig and train a lot so maybe it's that. But also I noticed that sleeping in the system doesn't help at all and the tape starts lifting after the first night.

But that's fine. No problem. I actually prefer sleeping without the system as it's much more comfortable and I can spray some rubbing alcohol the next day on the tape and stick the system back on for another day or two of use.

The problem is that when it comes time to remove the tape, there are always hairs stuck to it and no matter how meticulous I am with tweezers I always end up pulling out several hairs with the tape, especially at the poly perimeter at the back (next system all lace! -- tape seems to come off much easier with lace and it doesn't stick to the lace like it does to the poly).

Is there any easy and simple way to get the hairs out of the tape? I'm changing the tape every three days so if this continues my system will have no hair at the perimeter in a month or so!

I could really use some pointers.

Noah

Reaction score
That is odd, because the whole point of the poly perimeter is that you can put tape on it and later rip the tape off without having to worry about pulling on the hair. I can’t really understand why that doesn’t work for you.

There is only one knack for getting tape off lace without pulling the hairs out (or pulling them through the mesh base, which has the same result) - that is to soak the tape with 99% isopropyl alcohol (or one of the proprietary removal fluids) well enough and for long enough to allow it to break the adhesive bond before you start pulling. I find the best thing is to get a squeezable bottle with a long narrow nozzle, like an American mustard bottle, and fill it with alcohol. You can use it to soak the lace area above where your tape or glue is really thoroughly, without getting alcohol all over the hair. Then leave it for 2 or 3 minutes to do its work of breaking the adhesive bond. Then gradually start peeling the piece off from the back. Keep the piece under gentle tension, but don’t pull hard. If the alcohol has done its job and the hairpiece is ready to come off, it will steadily peel off cleanly. If it doesn’t, apply more alcohol and wait a bit longer. When you get enough base up at the back, it helps to douse the still-stuck edge of the tape with a bit more alcohol just as you are about to pull on it. I find it helps if you keep the released part of the base close to your scalp as you pull, rather than pulling it vertically up. In other words, you are sliding the back of the hairpiece upside-down over the front of the hairpiece. It seems to come off more cleanly, and it avoids stretching the mesh.

Hope this helps.
Noah

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
That is odd, because the whole point of the poly perimeter is that you can put tape on it and later rip the tape off without having to worry about pulling on the hair. I can’t really understand why that doesn’t work for you.

There is only one knack for getting tape off lace without pulling the hairs out (or pulling them through the mesh base, which has the same result) - that is to soak the tape with 99% isopropyl alcohol (or one of the proprietary removal fluids) well enough and for long enough to allow it to break the adhesive bond before you start pulling. I find the best thing is to get a squeezable bottle with a long narrow nozzle, like an American mustard bottle, and fill it with alcohol. You can use it to soak the lace area above where your tape or glue is really thoroughly, without getting alcohol all over the hair. Then leave it for 2 or 3 minutes to do its work of breaking the adhesive bond. Then gradually start peeling the piece off from the back. Keep the piece under gentle tension, but don’t pull hard. If the alcohol has done its job and the hairpiece is ready to come off, it will steadily peel off cleanly. If it doesn’t, apply more alcohol and wait a bit longer. When you get enough base up at the back, it helps to douse the still-stuck edge of the tape with a bit more alcohol just as you are about to pull on it. I find it helps if you keep the released part of the base close to your scalp as you pull, rather than pulling it vertically up. In other words, you are sliding the back of the hairpiece upside-down over the front of the hairpiece. It seems to come off more cleanly, and it avoids stretching the mesh.

Hope this helps.
Noah

Thanks for your input, Noah.

That's what I thought about the poly, but the problem that I have is that every time several hairs around the edge fold into the poly perimeter and tape and get stuck to it. Then when I remove the unit to clean and reattach, I try to gently peel them off with tweezers and they're gooey from the sticky tape and poly. I can never manage to peel all of them off the tape/poly, though, and when I start removing the tape it takes several hairs with it.

It was a bit better tonight than last time because I didn't put the tape right at the edge of the poly perimeter but left a few mm of space to create some distance between the hair and the tape. So I lost just a few hairs this time as opposed to the handful I lost three days ago. But it's still disconcerting and I've already noticed a small difference in the way the hair falls at the back (where the poly is -- the hair is very short) due to what I believe is the increasing sparseness caused by the pulled out hairs.

II'll take a few pics the next time I'm reattaching the unit to help users here better understand what I'm talking about.

As for your other advice, surprisingly I have no problem getting the tape off the lace as opposed to the poly. And when it comes time to remove my system, I don't even have to use any rubbing alcohol because it just comes right off my scalp with a gentle tug.

I'll try using more rubbing alcohol on the poly/tape and spending more time with the tweezers and fine tooth comb next time. I guess it's better to have damaged hair than no hair in your system.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
So it looks like you are probably getting hair stuck during application of the system, or when you are fixing the lifting edges.

First thing, try and avoid the lifting edges. Are you using a scalp protector?

I sweat like a pig in this heat, but still manage to get at least a weak to ten days out of an application. I don't use minis, I the "no-shine" contour tapes (front and back), and Ultra-hold tape around the edge. If I attach on a clean, shaved smooth scalp (with scalp protector) I get a perfect bond. If I accidentally do tape on hair, it starts to lift immediately.

You need to be a bit more meticulous on application to keep the hairs from getting under your tape, and weakening the bond. If the hair is too long, then you can use clips, on application.

To get the hairs OUT of the tape, it takes alcohol, and PATIENCE... don't expect them to come out immediately. You can also massage some conditioner into the hairs with your fingers, this also works.

Steve

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear a poly side and back, and also have that issue. ( issue being that once piece is detached from head, tape remains on poly, and when manipulating the piece some hair gets stuck to the tape, which in turn get pulled when removing tape from poly..) i spray lots of alcohol 99%, then use a comb to reposition hair out of the tape, then remove tape... by the way, if you use red liner tape on poly, then apply your favorite tape, removal is much easier ( tape just peels off the poly without residue) less fiddling means less hairs getting into the tape.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
red liner tape is for poly portion only, and not to be stuck directly on scalp, need to put another long wearing tape over it. it is used just to facilitate removal of tape from poly.
more info here

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
So if poly is supposed to make it easier, then why all the trouble of two layers of tape? Why not just go tape direct to lace?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hi Steve
the red tape layer saves my time in clean up. I just need to pull the tape of the poly sides-back. prior to using that i was spending about 10 minutes carefuly removing the tape and residues. I use precut CC and C shapes ( super wide) of the red tape so it basically tape me one minute to add those, no cutting involved.

as for tape to lace, i don't need to use red tape for lace part. in fact red tape should not be used on lace.

reasons why I like poly side and back on a lace unit are:
- less fraying on side, back
- unit keeps it's curved head shape, where as all lace unit would flatten out and I end up with creases at edges
- less shedding on poly parts
- more sturdy ( unit and bond)
what I dislike about poly sides-back are:
- thicker edge so more detectable when running fingers through hair.
- in my case, poly side can sometimes be seen at my temple ( light density, grey hair) but for my custom pieces, I ask the the poly start one inch further back...so poly in my case, starts at ear level.

hope this clarifies

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Spray adhesive with high-concentration rubbing alcohol, wait a few moments and detach the hairs with your fingers.