Any 'real' success stories out there?

RP9

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if there are actually any 'real' success stories out there. I've been lurking on these boards, and others for a few years. I've read a lot of 'wishful thinking' and vague references.... but has anyone really had any concrete, undisputed success using Rogaine or any other treatments (for women)? If so, speak up and share your success story... PLEASE!

And I'm not talking about stress induced, or birth induced this, that or the other thing.... hairloss that is typically short-term. I'm talking the real deal... good 'ol fashion, one way ticket, my father was balding and now so am I type of hair loss.

I've been dealing with this since my mid-twenties - am now in my mid-thirties. Haven't done much about it except in the very beginning for a few months, but gave up (foolishly) almost right away for various reason, but I'll spare you the details.

However, it's getting to the point now where I can't live in denial, or tell myself it's not so bad, or even disguise it from the rest of the world. Boy, I thought I was self-conscience before... now I'm unbelievable. If I don't find a way out of this, I'm going to end up as one of those cranky old hermit ladies that lives in the side of a hill somewhere in the armpit of civilization scaring away curious little children with her broomstick!

I'm hoping it's not too late. Otherwise... who the hell wants to live like this?! Yes, life could be worse... but this is right up there in my books! I remember being 15 and seeing an Oprah Winfrey show on 'bald women' (during her 'Jerry Springer' days)... and thinking to myself,"...if that happened to me I would DIE". Well, guess what... wammo!

For the past year... I've been trying to conjure up the nerve to walk into a Pharmacy and buy Rogaine and start using it again. But... dreading the embarrassment of public acknowledgement... and the shed (which I'm not sure I have enough hair to cope with gracefully)... and most of all, dreading the idea that maybe it really doesn't work and is no more than a well-marketed snake-oil. Because if it is, then what?? If you have cancer and you need a wig... well, you are a 'survivor' and people understand that and respect your courage (and rightfully so!), and can see beyond your hairline... or at least are compelled to look. However, if you're just a balding woman... um... well, that's a 'freak of nature'. Don't know any guy that would put that on his top ten list of 'things he finds attractive'... unless it's some wierd fettish site on the internet and I'm not into that thanks anyway!

I mean, if anything 'really' worked... would we have rich bald people wearing wigs?? (Sir Elton John comes to mind). If he can't grow hair why on earth should I think I could??

Okay... well, that was sure a cheerie little message! Hopefully someone out there has some real GOOD NEWS!

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
any good news?

Well, I wish I could tell you that there is a sure-fire way to fight this. There's not.
I am 30 and have been dealing with this for approx. 6 years. I lived in denial for a few years and then started 2% minoxidil. After about 1 year I started the 5% minoxidil solution. Progress? Well, it slowed the progression. However, my hair now is very thin and my scalp shines through. I've been using toppik and couvre (coverup products) for about 6 months which helps give an illusion of more hair. I have also invested in a very nice hairpiece for those days when nothing seems to help.
I have just started taking spironolactone, prescribed by dermatologist. The derm also suggested Yasmin birth control which I am reluctant about.
The thing with fpb/Androgenetic Alopecia is that there is no cure. There are TREATMENTS that help slow the progression, there are cosmetics that help hide the loss.
The treatments will have to be taken for the rest of your life...which can be depressing.
Yes, baldness is more "acceptable" in men but I know it kills the guys, too.
Definitely try the minoxidil and don't worry about being embarrassed! You have a condition that needs to be treated and 20 million other American women and I don't know how many the world over have this! You are not alone!
Good luck to you!

forever frustrated

Reaction score
HI, this is my first time..but, just want to know if anyone has used a product called Nisim?I found it just by search the www and have been using it now for about a month and a half. Its a shampoo, seems to be reducing the amount of hairloss but no regrowth showing. Im and 29 and have had horrible thinning for about 3 years. I don't have patches but just overall thin esecially seems to be around the perimeter. I feel like this is even causing me to be obsessive compulsive. i think about it all day, i look at womens heads all day long, and every chance i get i have my hand in or on my hair. I feel glad to have found this site, but since there are so many of us, i was just wondering what do the rich and famous do? there has to be someone, who has suffered though it and has had a success story. I mean really if J Lo began having this problem, what would her doctors tell her? I have asked my general doctor and he doesn't even seem to have a care in the world. he said my thyroid is fine so don't worry. any other medical condition it could be?

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
FOREVER FRUSTRATED,
First, I also had a doctor give me a "oh, it's just your hormones, nothing to worry about" type blow-off. My thyroid is fine. All of my tests were "normal" but hey, my hair is still so thin it's see-through!
The truth is most docs don't find this to be a problem. It's not life-threatening. It's just hair, after all. HA! It's a psychological nightmare.
I totally understand where you are coming from with the obsession. I, too, obsess over it which I know adds stress which doesn't help.
The best thing to do is find a dermatologist who will actually take time to listen to you to make sure there is nothing underlying going on. Once a proper diagnosis is made then you can start thinking about treatments.
Oh, and if someone rich and famous had this problem they would be able to afford "cutting edge" technology, hair replacements and/or hair transplants. They would not take "oh, it's nothing" for an answer.
Good luck to you.

Maxine

Reaction score
Solace Serve Here

Hi RP. Well, you may not read any blooming success stories here but you will find a virtual pat on the back and a nod of understanding. I'm 43, RP, and have been dealing with Androgenetic Alopecia since my 20's also. Most of the time, I view it as a cruel curse from God. I'm thin, and have pretty features but thin, see-through hair. I used Rogaine right after my daughter was born in '87 when my hair REALLY got thin and for a while there, everything went pretty well and I grew alot of hair back but only stuck with it for a year because it was expensive at the time and I couldn't afford it. In my mid-30's, the hair started looking bad again and this time, I used a product called Proxin by a doctor here in Houston. I used it for a year and didn't realize how much better I was getting and like a fool, quit using it thinking I was "cured". Well...all the hair fell out of course. I had a hysterectomy not long after that and lost even more hair. Now at 43, I took a look at myself in the mirror a couple of months ago and felt like you. I just wanted to exhile myself to Alcatraz and live a life of solitude. I hate looking at the thin, frizzy strands of hair on the front and sides of my head. I run my fingers through my scalp and can feel my fingertips touching the sides of my head where there are now only a few soft fine hairs remaining. My hair has not grown in length since my last hair cut in June. It's pathetic. Like Michelle, I too wear a little hairpiece to cover the loss but I am always worried it will fall out. I hate going to the beauty shop.

RP9

Reaction score
Hi Maxime:

Thought I'd check the site tonight and found your post (I've also read most of your postings on this site). I think perhaps, if so many years ago I'd had a computer and access to this type of information/community, I would not have been so quick to quit the minoxidil. But, no one warned me then of the accelerated hairloss at the beginning and I was convinced this 'snake oil' was only making it worse.... plus it was expensive... plus the pharmacy at that time had to mix it themselves... they didn't know what to mix it with so you'd get this bottle of 'hand lotion' with this grissley powder in it. Was virtually impossible to get on your head without it being detectable... I was too young and intolerate to put up with it.

Well... last weekend I finally dragged my butt into an inconspicuous pharmacy and bought a new supply and will give it a year... wish me luck. Perhaps I'll fall into that 10% who have some level of 'detectable' response to this 'drug'. As well as starting a regime of multi-vitamins, essential oils, and MSM/Glucosamine (not necessarily for the hair - RSI actually - both my sisters had used MSM for different problems (one was knee, one was elbow) and both managed to completely reverse the problems - eventhough medically they were told surgery was the only solution. I've seen some postings to suggest it may help with hair, but am not banking on it - it will be a bonus if it does.

As for beauty salons... I HATE haircut day so much... mostly because I know I'll come back realizing how much thinner my hair has become since the last haircut (I keep mine pretty short so my cuts are every 8 weeks or so). My only releif has been that I have a really nice stylist, who I've been going to for years (I follow her around when she moves locations). She's very sympathetic to what's happening and doesn't make a big deal about it. Plus she gives me a great, consistant haircut and is pretty good at guaging the best length to leave the front vs. the back vs. the sides. This is worth it's weight in gold! Every so often she'll stumble across some 'hairloss treatment' in a book or magazine and slip me a note with the details. Of course, it's usually meaningless... but her intensions are good and I appreciate her thoughtfullness (and discretion). I always, without exception, book as the first appt. on Saturday morning or the last appt. on Friday. Most, if not all, of the other stylists will have gone by then and I know there won't be anyone sitting in the waiting area chair - blinded by the glare off my scalp.