Any other options? Long-term fighter is back

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi!
To cut a long story short...I'm 38 and have a fullish head of hair. I've been fighting my hairloss successfully for about 6 years: 2 years minoxidil only, then added finasteride and now on RU 5% in minoxidil.

I got off finasteride cause of the usual problems: I have practically no libido, problems with erection, no spontaneous and rarely nightly erections. Things haven't gotten much better since I'm off. In fact RU has not been able to halt my hair loss which finasteride did. I'm now thinking of lowering DHT again, even though I find it so frustrating as my sexual life is far from normal. I'm also blaming minoxidil for my drop in libido, although I know this will cause a lot of people to argue.

Are there any other choices I have? I'm thinking of diluting minoxidil to e.g. 3% and adding something else instead of the RU. Be it topical or worse...oral.

Pls let me hear your ideas as I'm getting increasingly desperate.

Thanks,
Will

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well thanks..but IMHO minoxidil is already causing me problems. I'm seriously not in for taking that stuff orally.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm, no finasteride, no minoxidil, i don't know of other options...maybe topical spironolactone?

dekaz

Established Member
Reaction score
are you single? i feel like i got lower sex drive from finasteride, but i also feel like a big part of sex drive is mental....but if you're single its probably better to have hair and look nice, and im glad that i dont find myself fapping so much and feeling depressed. you were on finasteride for 6 years? i hear that i usually balances out eventually.

(btw, anyone know whats it like being married and farting under blanket in middle of the night? is it smelly or do people just hold it in all night? that would be kinda tough to do all your life)

i wouldn't even worry about it too much because there's only 36,500 days in 100 years and if you live to 100 thats only about 22 thousand more days. the reality of the situation is that everything dies and one day we will be die and its going to happen no matter what, and nobody ever really thinks about it, sure people may say "oh i wish i could die" - but its going to happen and the days from that 36k continue to tick off every day and so dont worry too much about anything because everything comes to an end sooner than later.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
sure people may say "oh i wish i could die" - but its going to happen and the days from that 36k continue to tick off every day and so dont worry too much about anything because everything comes to an end sooner than later.

You're kind of right, even if it sounds weird a bit. Reality is than when you're 20-something you think that you are immortal and all the world is at your feet. That's right, in the "grand scheme of things" we will all get old, ugly and then into a coffin, no matter how we look and how much hair we have. Lol.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hi!
To cut a long story short...I'm 38 and have a fullish head of hair. I've been fighting my hairloss successfully for about 6 years: 2 years minoxidil only, then added finasteride and now on RU 5% in minoxidil.

I got off finasteride cause of the usual problems: I have practically no libido, problems with erection, no spontaneous and rarely nightly erections. Things haven't gotten much better since I'm off. In fact RU has not been able to halt my hair loss which finasteride did. I'm now thinking of lowering DHT again, even though I find it so frustrating as my sexual life is far from normal. I'm also blaming minoxidil for my drop in libido, although I know this will cause a lot of people to argue.

Are there any other choices I have? I'm thinking of diluting minoxidil to e.g. 3% and adding something else instead of the RU. Be it topical or worse...oral.

Pls let me hear your ideas as I'm getting increasingly desperate.

Thanks,
Will
Hasson and Wong have been successful in formulating a topical version of finasteride and said it has been helping a lot of people without sides. I would look into that. If you still have about the same amount of hair as when you started you are doing very good for your age. You don't have aggressive hair loss obviously. The next decade of your life is going to be the hardest years to maintain as age related hair loss starts to become a factor too. Don't discount that you are approaching 40 years old( and still single??) as a possible reason why your libido is low. Age can be a factor also for many things and it sounds like you might be mildly depressed about you hair situation again. What happened to your previous attitude in one of your posts that you didn't care as much. Now you do again? What happened that changed your state of mind? Just curious? For me, I do care less about my situation but I will always care.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Are you related to Willfightit, which by the way didn't fight anything?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hasson and Wong have been successful in formulating a topical version of finasteride and said it has been helping a lot of people without sides. I would look into that. If you still have about the same amount of hair as when you started you are doing very good for your age. You don't have aggressive hair loss obviously. The next decade of your life is going to be the hardest years to maintain as age related hair loss starts to become a factor too. Don't discount that you are approaching 40 years old( and still single??) as a possible reason why your libido is low. Age can be a factor also for many things and it sounds like you might be mildly depressed about you hair situation again. What happened to your previous attitude in one of your posts that you didn't care as much. Now you do again? What happened that changed your state of mind? Just curious? For me, I do care less about my situation but I will always care.

Thanks for the comment. I'm from Europe, so unfortunately got no chance to fly to H&W. I have been trying to use dutasteride in my RU/minoxidil for the last week. Might give that a try. Topical is preferable but I'm just so unsure if it will work.

Yes, I don't have aggressive hair loss. I still rock a good mane, but it still sucks to see it go down the drain. And yes...I'll be 40 soon. My GF is 26 though and that means I need all the energy I can get.

I had successfully fought the hairloss at a high cost though. Now I got rid of finasteride to change my libido-problem and hair loss is kicking in again. It is just scary, that's all.

Anything else? Is OC an option? Anyone doing that? Also...what's the verdict on dutasteride vs finasteride. I hear some ppl are having less sides on it?

BTW not related to anyone here...