Any of you have sisters?

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Have you told them how you feel about your hairloss? What has been their reaction?

s.a.f

Reaction score
I have 2, only one knows about my hair transplant's (as a former nurse she removed my staples) but I dont think they can relate to the situation and they both chose NW1 partners!

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
would be an intersting experiment if you were to shave there NW1 partners head and then boom there in bed with dr phil tonight.

the divorce papers would come out fast.

but of course theyd claim there not bothered by it.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
yes...2.

they were not very understanding at all. I cut my hair very short or shaved it and they both basically told me 'you still have hair, make sure you keep it because everyone looks better with hair'. Then proceeded to show me pictures of me with hair and without it to tell me how much better I looked.

Apparently saying how cutting it short because I hated seeing it thinning was not enough for them to understand!

oh and the one sister said 'i hope my kids don't go bald' when i said it was just my genetics to lose my hair. Nice aye.

that's when i started getting really obsessed about it.

i think my sisters are particularly hair centric though and some girls dont care as much.

JimmyL

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I have 2, only one knows about my hair transplant's (as a former nurse she removed my staples) but I dont think they can relate to the situation and they both chose NW1 partners!

Your other sister hasn't noticed the hair transplant?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Well yeah I used to shave before and I dont see her much only at Xmas but she probably knows somethings up but does'nt mention it.

s.a.f

Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:
would be an intersting experiment if you were to shave there NW1 partners head and then boom there in bed with dr phil tonight.

the divorce papers would come out fast.

but of course theyd claim there not bothered by it.

Yeah but say for example your sister was fat would you start dating fat chicks? - thought not.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
yes but you and i know those are differnet things

if i had a fat sister, and said "i dontdate fat girls" it shoud realy not upset her,, becuase its up to her to lose weight, its self inlficteed and within her control, there is a health issue with it, and society woudl praise her for loosing wieght to "im going on a diet, thats a good thing"

but if you sister said "i dont date bald men and i dont want my children to be bald" which is a common attitude among females and bald men with children not wanting their children to end up - or start out rather - being bald (ing).

its also outwith your control
your meant to accept it (society is expecting you to do this)
society is also pressuring you to HAVE hair young, so you have a conflict there, people not accepting you this way (young + baldness)
ther is no real "health issue" concerned with it (its purely cosmetic)
arguably you dont "need" hair
if you fix it society would react to you with conflicting opinions.

barcafan

Reaction score
Sounds to me that being "hair-centric" and intelligent are mutually exclusive, i reckon.

Nene

Reaction score
gh05 said:
yes...2.

they were not very understanding at all. I cut my hair very short or shaved it and they both basically told me 'you still have hair, make sure you keep it because everyone looks better with hair'. Then proceeded to show me pictures of me with hair and without it to tell me how much better I looked.

Apparently saying how cutting it short because I hated seeing it thinning was not enough for them to understand!

oh and the one sister said 'i hope my kids don't go bald' when i said it was just my genetics to lose my hair. Nice aye.

i think my sisters are particularly hair centric though and some girls dont care as much.

I don't think you can blame someone for hoping their kids don't go bald. I sure hope mine don't.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
gh05 said:
yes...2.

I don't think you can blame someone for hoping their kids don't go bald. I sure hope mine don't.

When your sisters say it to you when they know you hate that you're losing your hair you can.

Ideally i wouldn't want my kid to go bald because of what i've been through with it....but I hope that they can cope with it much better because at the end of the day it really doesn't matter.

Nene

Reaction score
I can understand it hurt your feelings, I'd be hurt too. But I think we all hope our children don't go bald, it's a perfectly reasonable and logical hope!

Heinrich

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Yeah but say for example your sister was fat would you start dating fat chicks? - thought not.
No, instead I would tell my sister to move her fat *** and start losing some weight. But what choice do we have? :dunno:

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
My sister, who is 2 years younger than me, seemed to have a difficult time comprehending my hairloss in the beginning.

Something about young women (or older girls) I believe is that they don't ever contemplate the implications of baldness because they don't have to! Baldness isn't relevent to young people and especially young females. Younger girls are as self-centered as anyone and in that self-centered state of mind they don't think for a second that baldness could or would ever affect them: A. Because they're girls and "girls don't go bald, and B: Because all the young guys they go to school with have full heads of hair and in their idyllic fantasy world they will only ever be around guys who are youthful. To them "bald guys" are "old guys" and have no reason to be in the picture.

Sooo... It's no wonder that my little sister didn't understand why her big brother kept buzz-cutting his hair so short. She still saw me in her mind as the teenager that I used to be with longer, fuller hair. She still couldn't see that my hairline was receeding and that my crown was thinning and she didn't even know to look for it because, like I said before, people don't go bald in a teenage girls world (I guess they assume bald people just *exist*).

Eventually I had to tell her in very plain words: I am going bald! I could see the wheels turning in her head as she wrapped her head around the meaning of "going bald", especially for a guy as young as me. And at first she did not understand and she tried to argue that I was not going bald but eventually as she got older she came to understand that baldness can and does happen, even to her own brother.

Now days she doesn't say anything about it because she knows that whether she likes how it makes me look or not, I cannot help it. I know she's sorry for me but she helps by being very respectful.

buckeyeblitz

Reaction score
I have one older sister who is 3 years older than I am (I'm 22). She has always seemed to like short hair, and when my hair was shaggy (before hair loss) she always told me how I should buzz cut it. Now that hair loss has reared its ugly head, and I buzz it down to a #2 guard, she has made a comment that she liked it. But as with any family member, it's difficult to get a read on whether or not they are being completely sincere.

To her credit, and to my other family members, they have been very tactful throughout my hair loss, never poking fun at it or calling attention to it. I feel very 'normal' around them.

buckeyeblitz

Reaction score
After reading some of the other posts in here, I remember a funny interaction I had with my female cousin about a year and a half ago. It was at my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner, and therefore this was a time that I was reunited with a lot of extended family who I hadn't seen in a while.

Anyways, we all had a few drinks in us at this point. So I'm sitting there talking to her at the bar (she was 24 at the time) and she brings up that my other cousin (her brother, older than her by 3 years) and his baldness. Funny thing was, this happened to be right around the time where I first noticed my own receding hairline, but nobody else, including her, knew that I had it.

Her (female cousin): I feel really bad for Chris
Me: Why's that? He just started law school!
Her: His hair is pretty much completely gone. He started losing it about 3 years ago, and he used to just keep it short, but it has gotten so bad that he just bic's the whole thing.
Me: Yeah that does suck
Her: I mean, he cannot get a girl to save his life. And he's such a good guy too, it's just totally changed his dating life.
Me: Oh wow, that really sucks, I thought he actually pulled it off quite well.
Her: Yeah, I just know it's really effected his confidence, I've talked to him about it and he's very depressed. But hey, when he finishes law school he's going to be chasing them off with a stick.

I remember being really scared quite honestly, mostly because of the pity in her voice when she was talking about it. It was almost as though SHE was depressed about it, as much as he was! She was just very convinced that his dating life was through. So yeah, it sucked hearing an attractive 24 year old female not only tell me that my cousin was having a rough time with his baldness (I sort of looked at him and thought "wow, he can do it, so i can i"), but also simultaneously reaffirmed my suspicion that girls weren't all that into bald men.

The humour of course being that she had no idea I was going bald, she was talking to me as somebody with a full head of hair, so there was no sugar coating, just the blunt truth.

I guess that's just one girl's opinion, though, and she always has been very superficial.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
My older sister is dating a guy that has about a Norwood 3.5 with noticeable thinning in the front.

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
buckeyeblitz said:
Her (female cousin): I feel really bad for Chris
Me: Why's that? He just started law school!
Her: His hair is pretty much completely gone. He started losing it about 3 years ago, and he used to just keep it short, but it has gotten so bad that he just bic's the whole thing.
Me: Yeah that does suck
Her: I mean, he cannot get a girl to save his life. And he's such a good guy too, it's just totally changed his dating life.
Me: Oh wow, that really sucks, I thought he actually pulled it off quite well.
Her: Yeah, I just know it's really effected his confidence, I've talked to him about it and he's very depressed. But hey, when he finishes law school he's going to be chasing them off with a stick.

I find it refreshing to hear that kind of honesty.

When girls give me their opinions direclty they always seem to be trying to spare my feelings telling me "dont worry", "it's not that bad" and "you'll find someone". But I really don't want to be coddled. Sometimes I really need some honest feedback so i can accurately assess what people think of me. But when chicks go and lie to my face it just doesn't help.

So thanks for posting man. I really enjoyed reading that.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
me and my sis are very close. I have told her about it constantly and I know it bothers her to hear me b**ch and she always does the "oh but your still handsome", or "but your in great shape, women like that" blah blah blah. She knows my brothers hair kills me. Once she tried to tell me "all my friends think youre good looking" and I replied, "all your friends are fat with kids, how is that actually going to make me feel better?"

Shes a few years older than me, it kills me because when I was in high school she was in college and used to bring her hot friends home. Back then they LOVED me and used to grope me and play with my hair. She used to invite me to come stay at the dorm until all her friends wanted to plow her high school brother, then all that stopped lol. Man that would have been AWESOME!