Any non finasteride/dutesteride successful treatments?

boilingpoint2

Reaction score
I'm thinking of mostly of the topical variety - anyone here quit finasteride and gone for topical solutions to try maintain and perhaps grow back?

I've quit finasteride and ordered a box of sprio cream and revivogen as antiandrogens - aparently the both together work almost as well as finasteride.

On the other hand if it fails miserably then I'm also thinking about using Zix with minoxidil...

if THAT fails then I might be back on finasteride... but for now i'm gonna put the hair on the line to try out these alternatives.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Tried both those used them everyday for 4 or 5 months and did nothing for me. Again everyone reacts differently, and I completely understand anyone that wants to avoid medication. Unfortunately its the only real legit option we have right now you can always take small doses to lower DHT but not lower it a lot to maybe help avoid long term problems. The topicals are worth a shot though if your hair loss is minor and slow and you can afford the time possibly wasted trying those.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
The best topical is minoxidil but that does not interfere with the fundamental balding process.

You learn quickly from your teacher Bryan! LOL

In reality, a hairloss treatment doesn't have to interfere with androgens to be effective. Androgens only start a chain of events leading to the miniaturization of the hair follicle. If you interrupt any part of this chain, you will achieve a positive result. The truth is that minoxidil works only on the end of this chain, and hairs saved by minoxidil are technically dead. Minoxidil can't prevent DHT from the attack on the hair follicle, but it stops the subsequent process within the follicles and keeps them alive by an unknown mechanism. As a result, minoxidil-dependent hairs that were already attacked by androgens can't be saved by any other treatment, including finasteride. It is too late.

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of mostly of the topical variety - anyone here quit finasteride and gone for topical solutions to try maintain and perhaps grow back?

I've quit finasteride and ordered a box of sprio cream and revivogen as antiandrogens - aparently the both together work almost as well as finasteride.

On the other hand if it fails miserably then I'm also thinking about using Zix with minoxidil...

if THAT fails then I might be back on finasteride... but for now i'm gonna put the hair on the line to try out these alternatives.

When Steve Jobs was diagnosed with cancer he too decided to forgo the recognized treatments in favor of wishful thinking. Good luck to you though. At least male pattern baldness isnt life threatening I guess.

boilingpoint2

Reaction score
^Thanks for that. I'm familiar with that Steve Jobs story... the difference with me quitting a proven treatment like finasteride is that it isn't bad for my health; it's good.

I'm going to try solve the hair problem with experimental topicals like RUM and try regrowing with UHK copper peptides. I reckon it's a risk worth taking as those treatments look to be virtually proven within the hairloss community.

Also Zix looks to be a lot better and cheaper than stuff like revivogen - anyone here use this?

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Revivogen reduced my hairloss but dident stopped it, I'm ready to try finasteride now

boilingpoint2

Reaction score
I would never recommend taking finasteride. I took it for 4 years and yes it maintained my hair but I could feel my balls hurting more and more as time went by.

If you use finasteride your chemically giving yourself a mini castration each time - Now with hindsight I say research good topicals and stick to being a man (bald or not, it really is better than being a woman)

Jacob

Reaction score
Also Zix looks to be a lot better and cheaper than stuff like revivogen - anyone here use this?

While I'm not a fan of Revivogen...why in the world would anyone think Zix is "a lot better"?? That stuff too has been around for years and years..and like the zinc-based topicals of the Waseda days- only seems to work/get ppl excited when first used.

WhereDaHair

Reaction score
Any non finasteride/dutesteride successful treatments?

I don't know man but I'd like to know the answer as bad as you do! Seems like a lot of people don't seem to have much confidence in those products... I would like to know if that opinion is from some type of clinical research or the reports of other users or what...

I would never recommend taking finasteride. I took it for 4 years and yes it maintained my hair but I could feel my balls hurting more and more as time went by.

If you use finasteride your chemically giving yourself a mini castration each time - Now with hindsight I say research good topicals and stick to being a man (bald or not, it really is better than being a woman)

I hear ya man. I had the discomfort in the balls while taking Propecia also, plus the rest...

While I'm not a fan of Revivogen...

Just wondering why you're not a fan Jacob. I have no experience with it so just wondering....

Jacob

Reaction score
Just wondering why you're not a fan Jacob. I have no experience with it so just wondering....

It's been around for what..20 years? Not much out there on it doing a whole lot. .
They claimed to use liposomal tech..yet nothing in the ingreds list that could be used to make the liposomes. Now they don't even mention the liposomal tech.
Some years ago I had inquired about them possibly adding some things to the product. I was told there was no need to..since the stuff worked so great. Since then, they've updated the product- added things to it. Twice.
Then there's a certain sales pitch going around..that they use some expensive/hard to get free form fatty acids. Yet there's nothing on their labeling or website about that, and their ingreds aren't listed any different than other products that contain/mention "fatty acids".

I'm sure it may be fine for maintenance..just like numerous other products.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Some years ago I had inquired about them possibly adding some things to the product. I was told there was no need to..since the stuff worked so great. Since then, they've updated the product- added things to it. Twice.
Then there's a certain sales pitch going around..that they use some expensive/hard to get free form fatty acids. Yet there's nothing on their labeling or website about that, and their ingreds aren't listed any different than other products that contain/mention "fatty acids".

This has been explained to you REPEATEDLY, but you just don't "get it". The people behind Revivogen know extremely well the virtues of "free form fatty acids", and have talked about that with us at length. There's no clear sign that the makers of other products know about that, other than what they've said to you in very brief comments. In my opinion, that's not good enough! Revivogen is the ONLY known product which uses "free form" fatty acids. The reason why they don't talk about that on their Web site (again, I've explained this to you REPEATEDLY) is that it's "over the heads" of most people who read it.

Jacob

Reaction score
This has been explained to you REPEATEDLY, but you just don't "get it". The people behind Revivogen know extremely well the virtues of "free form fatty acids", and have talked about that with us at length. There's no clear sign that the makers of other products know about that, other than what they've said to you in very brief comments. In my opinion, that's not good enough! Revivogen is the ONLY known product which uses "free form" fatty acids. The reason why they don't talk about that on their Web site (again, I've explained this to you REPEATEDLY) is that it's "over the heads" of most people who read it.

Playing dumb again Bryan? Oh wait..we figured out you're no longer playing..if you ever were.

Or maybe we should call you Mr. Amnesia.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/62151-Revivogen-continued?

I'm sure I'll have to repost some of that here sometime tomorrow :roll:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've already explained all that to you, over and over and over and over. Simply repeating it again by bringup-up old threads isn't going to do you any good. Don't waste my time.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

The hair you lost will never return, finasteride is for maintaining what you still have

- - - Updated - - -

I've been on topicals for 6 months and it dident stopped my hairloss

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah dont touch revivogen. Thats such a waste of money that the only way it can get positive chatter is by having someone connected to the product spend years spamming various forums.

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
Revivogen gets a bad rap on here. In every thread, at least a few people who are "experts" after a few months fighting hairloss and/or posting in these forums will come along and say "No one has ever maintained their hair using revivogen" or "it's snake oil" or "it's a scam."

In a few of them, I've responded that I've used it since 2006 and more or less maintained - though it's probably getting close to time to add finasteride. I'll point out the search function which will turn up a few - not tons, granted, but a few - success stories with revivogen. I keep doing it, thinking I'll change a few minds.

I guess by this point, I should know better.

Jacob

Reaction score
Oh I'm sure it has helped a few maintain..but that doesn't change what I'm pointing out here. You'll find a few who maintain on Tricomin..Folligen..take your pick.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Revivogen gets a bad rap on here. In every thread, at least a few people who are "experts" after a few months fighting hairloss and/or posting in these forums will come along and say "No one has ever maintained their hair using revivogen" or "it's snake oil" or "it's a scam."

In a few of them, I've responded that I've used it since 2006 and more or less maintained - though it's probably getting close to time to add finasteride. I'll point out the search function which will turn up a few - not tons, granted, but a few - success stories with revivogen. I keep doing it, thinking I'll change a few minds.

I guess by this point, I should know better.

I used revivogen it never helped me at all. Stories and anecdotal evidence is like excuses everyone has one for everything. Revivogen like many topicals we spend tons of money on has none of the little thing called evidence or proof it works. That is a big key that last one about the evidence many many ingredients can be mixed together that have some evidence they should work but in the end the mixture does not work as intended. Many stories go both ways it helped or it did not. Good luck sorting out those to arrive at the truth or waste your money and see what happens. Smart people use the proven things first like many reputable websites for hair loss recommend.