Any idea what's going on here? male pattern baldness or something else? (Pics)

Albalmal

Reaction score
Weird small patches of hair loss in the general male pattern baldness area. It happened quite suddenly about 5 years ago and really hasn't got a lot worse since, maybe progressed a little bit. Possibly some temple ressession altho i've always had a very high hairline since very young. Used to have seborrhoeic dermatitis pretty bad up until about age 15. But this loss of hair didn't happen until 18, after 3 years of having a healthy scalp. Mystery! Anybody shed any light?

DSCF2765.jpg

DSCF2758.jpg

The Gardener

Reaction score
How fresh is your buzz cut?

If you've just had it done, is there a possibility that some imperfections in the clipper guard may have caused certain areas where the clippers cut deeper into the hair and closer to the scalp than in other places?

Outside of that... I'm stumped!

Albalmal

Reaction score
Done a few days ago, however i had a buzzcut about a year ago and it showed the same thing. When i grow it out, the hair is noticeably much thinner in these regions. But yeah, weird isn't it!

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Whatever is attacking your hair cells also appears to be attacking your pigmentation cells.

How's "the itch"?

Albalmal

Reaction score
Itch is fairly non-existent. No flaking or anything like that. Not sure about the pigmentation thing....when i look using a mirror it looks kinda like the follicles have scarred in that area, making it whiter. It's also shinier in those areas. But who knows, you could be right! I'll ask my Doctor, i'm going soon anyway.

I have had quite a strong vitamin D deficiency which i only recently got treated for, maybe that had something to do with it. I have heard Vit D deficiency can cause hair loss.

Cheers for the responses guys.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Go to to get your bloods tested. It's not male pattern baldness.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Go to to get your bloods tested. It's not male pattern baldness.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Problems that can cause Vit-D deficiency can cause hair loss, this definitely doesn't look like male pattern baldness. Try discussing with your doctor the possible causes for your Vit-D deficiency (although technically most of the world is Vit-D deficient).

Albalmal

Reaction score
Saw the Doctor, she said it looked like an unusual pattern of Alopecia Areata. I guess this would explain why my hair thinned out incredibly suddenly 5 years ago and has barely got any worse since.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well done, It could all grow back since it's Alopecia Areata.

Look into Onion Juice.