Any Help For A First Timer Contemplating A System?

keithlemonusedtobefun

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, Here's my first post as I've been considering making the first step into buying a system but finding the whole thing daunting. To start with I thought I would ask a few particular questions which I'm sure have been asked before so bear with me. Hopefully Noah and Grincher are around as I've already seen some great posts from them.

!, I'm on a bit of a budget so is it easy to start off DIY or should I go to a company to start off with? Any UK recommenadtions?
2, How many systems can you get away with each year?
3, Is it possible to get a really good convincing revealed hairline? Most I've seen on youtube look a bit suspect.
4, Can anyone recommend a UK supplier and a dare I say "trendy salon" to cut in London?
5, What percentage density is suitable to go for?

One last one, why do the cut in's always seem to use a razor to cut the system? From the videos I have seen on youtube they tend to look messy and don't blend into the hairline very well which kind of makes me even more aprehensive in selecting the right place. Hope you guys can help....

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Keith,

1. DIY takes a little bit of research (or as I say investment in yourself), but with that behind you and a helpful supplier then its fine and definitely you will learn more, be more independent and save more than with clinics and contracts/

2. one or max two. I can make 1 go 12-months if needs be. If you care for it and buy good quality you will get around a year.

3. If you go with a hair down then its never a problem but if you want to expose the hairline then you need to get a lower density area. You can tweak it yourself too.

4. Ive PM you re suppliers

5. Impossible to say! Firstly there is no universal scale. As such each supplier will know their own and will either ask to see you or photos.

Its definitely worth the effort of trying a system at a reasonable cost. While it wont work for everyone for those it does work for then it can make a big difference.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Keith, welcome.

1. I totally agree with Grincher - you can definitely do this DIY. It's not rocket science, and there are tons of great information on line now to help you, plus places like this if you have any problems. I will PM you with my suggestions on suppliers. Also remember that it is not an either/or choice - you can try DIY and if it doesn't work out you can seek help from the professionals.

2, I have 2 systems on the go at a time, and I get 10 months' wear from the pair, so you could say I use two-and-a-quarter a year. You could get longer if you baby them. I am quite rough on mine, and I also chuck them before they start to look worn.

3, It is possible to get an undetectable exposed hairline, but you need a Swiss lace base, a graduated hairline, well-bleached knots (unless you are blond) and probably a glue attachment at the front. Doable, but a bit more work. If you can find a style you like which has a concealed or partially concealed hairline, you will be making your life much easier at the start.

5, Hard to comment on density without knowing anything about you. It partly depends on what hair you have left at the sides and back. All I will say is that in terms of realism less is more. You could put up a pic with blanked out features if you want in opinion.

Good luck with the project!

Noah

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Keith.

I was planning on a hair system for around about 2 months and have been wearing my first one now coming up to 2 weeks.

I can't answer everything you have asked but I can give you my opinion and experience so far.

I looked at diy all for about 5 minutes. At the point where I was seeing the bits of making a template out of clingfilm i stopped.

I jumped straight in with a salon that supplied fitted and cut in.

I'm still sat here loving the fact I have hair on my head. Saying that I'm still sat here learning as I go. For instance I have only just found out what a bleached knot is, what graduated fronts are, that you can get graduated fronts.

I'm sure its not rocket science but I just wanted my first to be done by someone with experience. On my next clean and refit i am being shown how to do it.

My advice is to do it. You won't regret it.

keithlemonusedtobefun

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your helpful advice. It's pretty daunting when you first start looking into things. Tom, where did you get yours done? Making a template on your own looks quite tricky being a newbie.

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Keith I got mine done in Kidderminster at a place called Tom Samson hair.

It's a 2 hour drive for me and I've now found someone im Bolton thats closer to me for my next one.

Yes it is daunting, it's a huge lifestyle change