Any hardcore fitness guys rocking a system?

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a messier style just so I. Don't have to deal with the blending issue so much. But yes of course the salon said not to do it yourself!

The exercise issue is less of an issue with lace with poly rim, perimeter bond, and the ability y to DIY before it is too loose.

I've not had an issue with exercise with it. But I do credit the fact I don't have a full bond and can redo the bond in no time.
Thanks for the tips man! Yes that's what a few guys have told me regarding the poly/lace hybrid being good for excercise. Not sure I can find one, mostly what I'm seeing online is super thin skin units.
I'll ask stylist about the partial bond and see if thats an option for me. Thanks again for tips brother!

JasonM

My Regimen
Reaction score
I keep fit and wear my system whilst doing so. I play soccer once a week and I run a lot, as well as doing some weights at home. It puts some stress on the bond, but only in the sense that you need to clean and reattach more often (in the same way that sweat makes your clothes gross!). I don't have any issues while exercising, and have run full marathons in my system. The bond will loosen the more you sweat, but once you cool down, it sorts itself out.
I assume you're asking as a prospective wearer, rather than a current. If so, the take home messages are:

- You can work out as much as you want in your system. Wearing it won't hinder your workout at all
- Working out 7 days a week will mean that you will spend more time than most on things like hairline lifts. This is really not a problem. I have to fix my hairline every day, but it takes less than 5 minutes to do
- You will want to do a complete clean/reattach every week. Don't buy into any salon's sales pitch that tells you that you can leave it on between monthly visits. That will be awful for your scalp. In fact, don't even try to push it. Even if one week you think you can get away with it, don't try. I'm guessing since you work out a lot that you're the sort of guy who takes care of himself. Make this clean up part of that routine.

All in all you're good though! A year and a half a go, I didn't hair hair or a gym body. Now I have both!

N.B On the scalp thing, I spoke to my stylist about this and she said that she's had to excuse herself from her clients in the past because of the smell. It's awful how some guys allow that stuff to fester on their heads!
This is excellent advice. Scalp protector will also help somewhat. With good glue and tape I've had no problems whatsoever at the gym, track, or any sport (also swimming and kitesurfing with acrylic base glue - but it's a lot messier to attach, and much more difficult to clean). Biggest drawback is that I can't put the hairpiece on right before going to gym to allow a good bond to form. Though during covid I don't go out that much and sometimes just wear a hat at the gym.

I keep multiple hairpieces, which allows me to quickly switch into a clean one if the one I'm wearing is too loose/messy/smelly after the exercise. If I'm busy or feeling lazy I can do the cleanup later.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is excellent advice. Scalp protector will also help somewhat. With good glue and tape I've had no problems whatsoever at the gym, track, or any sport (also swimming and kitesurfing with acrylic base glue - but it's a lot messier to attach, and much more difficult to clean). Biggest drawback is that I can't put the hairpiece on right before going to gym to allow a good bond to form. Though during covid I don't go out that much and sometimes just wear a hat at the gym.

I keep multiple hairpieces, which allows me to quickly switch into a clean one if the one I'm wearing is too loose/messy/smelly after the exercise. If I'm busy or feeling lazy I can do the cleanup later.
Man that's really cool, sounds like you are a super active guy! Thanks for the tips on bonding and scalp protector. Great advantage and smart to have several interchangeable units on hand! I'm hoping to get to that point after being on this journey for a bit, seems to be good investment and good for security

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is where a home gym comes in handy! Sweat it all out before putting on the hair system!
Yea for sure man! Did the home gym thing for years, lots of advantages to having a home setup for sure....when I get annoyed about things at my gym I inch closer and closer to going back to my home gym routine LOL.
When I get good at doing the installs myself I may just take it off and where hat to gym and put it back on after workout, but that will be alot of work of course

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
A great investment if you have the means, even without taking into account the benefits to your hair!
Yes for sure brother! If COVID has taught us anything, it's always great to have the ability to be self reliant, which also applies to fitness....and hair systems I'm learning lol

Noah

Reaction score
I will just add that there are quite a few professional footballers who wear or have worn systems, a LOT of bodybuilders (Mike Hearn has a good one), track athletes like Alan Webb, tennis player Andre Agassi, and almost the whole Australian and South African cricket teams. So wearing a system is no bar to sport and exercise, even at the highest level. However, I do think if you have a very physical lifestyle you should think of (a) getting a system which is mainly lace for breathability, and (b) get one with a poly or thinskin horseshoe rim, so that even if you are sweating heavily you have a really secure perimeter bond on the unit, and you don't have to worry about it shifting or lifting.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will just add that there are quite a few professional footballers who wear or have worn systems, a LOT of bodybuilders (Mike Hearn has a good one), track athletes like Alan Webb, tennis player Andre Agassi, and almost the whole Australian and South African cricket teams. So wearing a system is no bar to sport and exercise, even at the highest level. However, I do think if you have a very physical lifestyle you should think of (a) getting a system which is mainly lace for breathability, and (b) get one with a poly or thinskin horseshoe rim, so that even if you are sweating heavily you have a really secure perimeter bond on the unit, and you don't have to worry about it shifting or lifting.
Wow that's awesome, honestly did not know so many pro athletes wore systems! Of course I knew about Andre Agassi's infamous wig during his "image is everything" stage during the late 80s/early 90s but I was unaware there were so many others, that's too cool! Really shows it's possible and as you said these are guys performing at the highest level and highest intensity.
Thanks for the advice regarding the base....that seems to be the consensus: a lace base with poly rim/border. I'm not sure how difficult these particular units are to come by at the moment, but my appointment is not until April so hopefully by then I'll have something selected.
Thanks for that info Noah, cheers brother!

Allantint

Reaction score
Does Mike Hearn actually wear a system? His hairline looks so natural

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any of yall ever notice if sweating profusely and sweat getting saturated in the hair causes faster color change to the hair unit? Or if it causes more rapid decline in the hair quality overall? Is it just a matter of washing with shampoo after workout, or does washing too much cause more shedding?

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
The sweat itself won't cause any problems, but the fact that you're removing and washing it more will almost certainly impact the lifespan.

Brad98

My Regimen
Reaction score
I keep fit and wear my system whilst doing so. I play soccer once a week and I run a lot, as well as doing some weights at home. It puts some stress on the bond, but only in the sense that you need to clean and reattach more often (in the same way that sweat makes your clothes gross!). I don't have any issues while exercising, and have run full marathons in my system. The bond will loosen the more you sweat, but once you cool down, it sorts itself out.
I assume you're asking as a prospective wearer, rather than a current. If so, the take home messages are:

- You can work out as much as you want in your system. Wearing it won't hinder your workout at all
- Working out 7 days a week will mean that you will spend more time than most on things like hairline lifts. This is really not a problem. I have to fix my hairline every day, but it takes less than 5 minutes to do
- You will want to do a complete clean/reattach every week. Don't buy into any salon's sales pitch that tells you that you can leave it on between monthly visits. That will be awful for your scalp. In fact, don't even try to push it. Even if one week you think you can get away with it, don't try. I'm guessing since you work out a lot that you're the sort of guy who takes care of himself. Make this clean up part of that routine.

All in all you're good though! A year and a half a go, I didn't hair hair or a gym body. Now I have both!

N.B On the scalp thing, I spoke to my stylist about this and she said that she's had to excuse herself from her clients in the past because of the smell. It's awful how some guys allow that stuff to fester on their heads!
Hey man, good advice. I just started wearing two weeks ago and work out pretty hard at least 5-6 days a week. Lots of sweat and have noticed the front hairline gets pretty milky with the bond getting warmed up. It’s also pretty pliable for about 20-30 minutes until I cool down. What do you use for the front hairline? How are you able to do the fix in 5 minutes? So far, it’s taking me a lot more time, but I‘m just getting used to it and may also be doing more than I need to as well. Any extra advice is appreciated.

Luca82

My Regimen
Reaction score
I try to keep my systems as virginal as possible, meaning I take it off frequently.

I tried Ghostbonding for an extended hold & it was just a b**ch! I know it can of course be done. My first piece, I abused the hell out of, sweating in it, swimming in it, everything.

I _LOVE_ not having to sleep w/ my piece, or shower in it, or any of that.

Do you use got2be? Or daily tapes?
how do you do it when you spontaneously decide that you want to wear the system? and isn't it difficult to take the tape off when it's already stuck? Would love to hear how you do that process of daily wear

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you use got2be? Or daily tapes?
how do you do it when you spontaneously decide that you want to wear the system? and isn't it difficult to take the tape off when it's already stuck? Would love to hear how you do that process of daily wear
I used to daily wear w/ tape. I would not get daily-wear tape, but ordinary tapes - long lasting ones - and just gently remove at night.

I didn't want to do things that way initially, but I couldn't keep the pieces on for any prolonged period of time. I didn't know it at the time, but I'm allergegic to hairpiece tapes, and it took a while for me to get full-blown, very irritated contact dermatitis.

During the Pandemic, I did a lot of Got2B black gel, which works quite well w/ lace.

Now I'm Ghostbond + UTS, wearing for about a week at a time.

Luca82

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to daily wear w/ tape. I would not get daily-wear tape, but ordinary tapes - long lasting ones - and just gently remove at night.

I didn't want to do things that way initially, but I couldn't keep the pieces on for any prolonged period of time. I didn't know it at the time, but I'm allergegic to hairpiece tapes, and it took a while for me to get full-blown, very irritated contact dermatitis.

During the Pandemic, I did a lot of Got2B black gel, which works quite well w/ lace.

Now I'm Ghostbond + UTS, wearing for about a week at a time.

So you reattach weekly now?
Wondering bc you said You don't like to sleep or shower with the piece on...
I will probably go the weekly route as well.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you reattach weekly now?
Wondering bc you said You don't like to sleep or shower with the piece on...
I will probably go the weekly route as well.
Ya, a week or so, depending on how hardcore I've gone w the bonding.

I never feel like these systems are a "part" of me or anything. I feel like I'm wearing something always, and I feel that that something is very fragile. I wear a shower cap, etc., and wash my piece every week or so.