Any guides, everything I need to know about starting hair systems?

SpaceFox

Reaction score
Yes, I am going to order, or at least want to order, a hair system right away, and I want to know if there's some sites or links that provide all in one answers to anything I may want to know before starting and any DIY guides?

Is it possible to make them last 6 months (or 4) generally pretty easily? can you sleep with them most of the time, can you do self maintenance, can you go to a normal hairdresser to avoid the heavy costs, do they ever or at all fall off really easily and the like? are they a constant nuisance or annoyance to keep track of and maintain.

- - - Updated - - -

Are they or do they generally feel natural?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
the hair feels natural, but when you stroke the base you will feel something weird, if you do it with attention. you can get high density hair, so people won't be able to reach the base. high density is the most important thing anyway looks wise

SpaceFox

Reaction score
the hair feels natural, but when you stroke the base you will feel something weird, if you do it with attention. you can get high density hair, so people won't be able to reach the base. high density is the most important thing anyway looks wise

Yeah but it doesn't look as real or natural does it? that's the thing, they look too fake and big.

Anyway, does anyone hear know the quickest and fasted way to getting on track and ordering one? I want one right away, as my hair is starting to look like **** and...yeah...

It's getting really bad fast all of a sudden and I just want one.

Are there usually hidden costs? That's just another matter as well, a lot of these companies try to scam or have a lot of hidden fees in their and I want to avoid them.

???

Noah

Reaction score
There is a lot of information on the Web, but scattered around. The best DIY info in one place is the video section of the Hair Direct website.

4 months is easy, and 6 months is possible if you baby the unit. They key things would be to protect it from the sun (wear a hat) and don't shampoo it too often (once a week is ample). When you do shampoo it, use a good quality conditioner, but keep it away from the knots.

Yes, you can you sleep with them most of the time, and you can (and should) do self maintenance. You can go to normal hairdressers for a tidy-up of your real hair, and some normal hairdressers will also cut in a new piece, but that is a bit more risky. A piece needs to be blended in, so that your live hair can keep growing without making the hairpiece stand out, so there is a bit more to it than a normal haircut. I use a normal hairdresser though.

They never "fall off" except in Hollywood movies. I pretty much forget I'm wearing mine once it's on. Maintenance is a constant commitment if you want it to look good - 90 mins a week or so. You also have to keep an eye for when you need to order new hair and adhesives etc.

All-lace pieces do feel really natural.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Yeah but it doesn't look as real or natural does it? that's the thing, they look too fake and big.

Anyway, does anyone hear know the quickest and fasted way to getting on track and ordering one? I want one right away, as my hair is starting to look like **** and...yeah...

It's getting really bad fast all of a sudden and I just want one.

Are there usually hidden costs? That's just another matter as well, a lot of these companies try to scam or have a lot of hidden fees in their and I want to avoid them.

???
they look totally natural

SpaceFox

Reaction score
they look totally natural

Yes, but it's pretty subjective to me! some of them don't...

I went to one company where I live and they were trying to pass off old style looking big puffy wigs as "systems" and...yeah..they were just wigs.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a lot of information on the Web, but scattered around. The best DIY info in one place is the video section of the Hair Direct website.

4 months is easy, and 6 months is possible if you baby the unit. They key things would be to protect it from the sun (wear a hat) and don't shampoo it too often (once a week is ample). When you do shampoo it, use a good quality conditioner, but keep it away from the knots.

Yes, you can you sleep with them most of the time, and you can (and should) do self maintenance. You can go to normal hairdressers for a tidy-up of your real hair, and some normal hairdressers will also cut in a new piece, but that is a bit more risky. A piece needs to be blended in, so that your live hair can keep growing without making the hairpiece stand out, so there is a bit more to it than a normal haircut. I use a normal hairdresser though.

They never "fall off" except in Hollywood movies. I pretty much forget I'm wearing mine once it's on. Maintenance is a constant commitment if you want it to look good - 90 mins a week or so. You also have to keep an eye for when you need to order new hair and adhesives etc.

All-lace pieces do feel really natural.
Is it okay then just to get the allotted amount that you'll need for a year, or is it better to...get a few extra as well...?

Noah

Reaction score
Personally, I would order one to see whether you like it and can make it work (some people just can't cope with the idea of wearing hair). If you do like it, order two more immediately, so that you can swap them week about, plus you have a back-up in the drawer. Then, as a piece looks like it is starting to wear out, order one to replace it.

SpaceFox

Reaction score
Personally, I would order one to see whether you like it and can make it work (some people just can't cope with the idea of wearing hair). If you do like it, order two more immediately, so that you can swap them week about, plus you have a back-up in the drawer. Then, as a piece looks like it is starting to wear out, order one to replace it.

Well it's either I wear one or I go bald and I REALLY don't want to be bald and from everything I have looked up and photos I have seen I am sure I want one, I just want it to look as good as I can get it right away without going through a phase where it's really noticeable.

ANYWAY,

Some more quick questions if anyone knows:

The front hair line: Is asking or wanting one considered (if the rest is not) a "custom hair piece" ? does it usually cost extra, or not? I don't generally need it completely "custom" more so, I just want to make sure it's not too thick or unnatural looking at the front.

What about hair, thickness, and color? how do I order or should go about selecting these or what terms should I use when picking them? what kinds of hair do they usually use? what does "indian processed hair" mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and it would be really nice if everyone could get back to me really soon, I want to get one right away :shock:

Noah

Reaction score
Custom pieces are a bit more money. At least at the less expensive end of the market the units are either custom or stock, there is no in-between. Custom is made from your template to your exact specifications on hair color, density, base design etc. Stock is pre-manufactured in various common hair colors and popular densities, and you cut it down to size. The reputable vendors have graduated hairlines even on stock units (ie the piece is slightly less thick at the hairline, and is usually knotted more carefully and randomly so as to mimic real hair).

To get a good color match, send a few samples of your growing hair from different parts of your head. By "thickness" I assume you mean density, the number of hairs per square inch. You can specify that on a custom order, and you can have different densities in different parts of the piece (usually your hair is lighter density on the front of your head). But every company's density scale is different, so one vendor's 100% density is another vendor's 120%, so on your first purchase it is best to talk to your supplier and send him a picture of the look you are aiming for, which can be a celebrity from a magazine or an old photo of yourself. Stock pieces come in a standard density, which roughly seems to be about the density of a 30-year old man with no hairloss. You can thin them out.

For a first piece I would ignore the issue of hair type. Most hair in hairpieces comes from India or China. Chinese hair is coarse and very straight, but it can be processed to be more like European hair. Indian hair starts off finer and more like European hair, so doesn't require so much processing. A reputable vendor will automatically offer you Indian hair if you are of European ancestry. There are also fancier and more expensive options like South American hair, Russian hair, virgin European hair, Remy hair, hair from unicorns etc. Time enough to delve into this stuff if you like wearing a piece and it works for you.

shookwun

Reaction score
They work but to avoid the puffy hair you speak if always go the less density route.

Extra light & light density is the closest to replicate thick natural hair.

I found light mediums wiggish because they are to thick...... northwestlace.com

SpaceFox

Reaction score
Custom pieces are a bit more money. At least at the less expensive end of the market the units are either custom or stock, there is no in-between. Custom is made from your template to your exact specifications on hair color, density, base design etc. Stock is pre-manufactured in various common hair colors and popular densities, and you cut it down to size. The reputable vendors have graduated hairlines even on stock units (ie the piece is slightly less thick at the hairline, and is usually knotted more carefully and randomly so as to mimic real hair).

To get a good color match, send a few samples of your growing hair from different parts of your head. By "thickness" I assume you mean density, the number of hairs per square inch. You can specify that on a custom order, and you can have different densities in different parts of the piece (usually your hair is lighter density on the front of your head). But every company's density scale is different, so one vendor's 100% density is another vendor's 120%, so on your first purchase it is best to talk to your supplier and send him a picture of the look you are aiming for, which can be a celebrity from a magazine or an old photo of yourself. Stock pieces come in a standard density, which roughly seems to be about the density of a 30-year old man with no hairloss. You can thin them out.

For a first piece I would ignore the issue of hair type. Most hair in hairpieces comes from India or China. Chinese hair is coarse and very straight, but it can be processed to be more like European hair. Indian hair starts off finer and more like European hair, so doesn't require so much processing. A reputable vendor will automatically offer you Indian hair if you are of European ancestry. There are also fancier and more expensive options like South American hair, Russian hair, virgin European hair, Remy hair, hair from unicorns etc. Time enough to delve into this stuff if you like wearing a piece and it works for you.

My hair is very strange.

It's kind of "medium...to fine? (or at least was originally when I had no signs of hair loss) it was very curly, and wavy but yet the hair itself was like asians and I have been told this by a few other people, I think because even though I am mostly European I have a fair amount of first nations ancestry as well...? so I don't really know what hair type would suit me best.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway so are most "graduated stock hairlines" the same, or do they come in different types? I really want to order right away...*sigh*

oh and, are the glues all that expensive? do you really need to pay for an expensive hair stylist experienced in hair systems? because honestly, I don't know fi I buy it. I'm sure a decent hair dresser can just cut it to fit in with your natural hair, it cannot be that rocket science, is it?

anyone???

- - - Updated - - -

hairsz.jpgmahair.jpgweirdo4.jpg

Examples of my hair before, the last picture it was starting to thin quite a bit but not too noticeable.

Does anyone have some recommendations?

- - - Updated - - -

meh.jpg

Now it's just ****e I do not know what to do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

is this just a normal mature hairline...? and am I worrying/focusing on it too much?

I mean there's still hair there, but it's just become SO THIN, and horrid, and at an ever increasing rate, I can hardly do anything with it anymore, it just sits there.
blah.jpg

jack2000

Reaction score
You can get hair systems to last that long but they might not look as natural

All kinds of mono base systems can last the 6 months you would like it to. While they do look natural after being styled, they won't look as natural as a fine lace or skin base system. However, many lace bases come skin perimeters which add a natural element. You can also add bleach knots too, which helps to reduce knot visibility.

Just remember to choose the appropriate hair density for you that matches your look and age. Having to high a density can be a dead give away that you are wearing a hair piece.

With regards to how long you can wear as system for...

If you chose a mono base like I suggest, you can buy a long hold tape which can last several weeks before you need to replace it.

Hope this helps!

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Swiss Lace or UTS will be best for exposed hairlines. I UTS is 4-months but a good lace system will last a year if cared for. I seem to get 12-14 months. Im in month 12 with current piece and expect a little longer

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get 12 months out of my monofilament as well. Although, I think it be too thin soon

shookwun

Reaction score
Dude nothing at all looks wrong with your hair, to me anyway.
this lol

strong BDD.

you will regret getting a piece with that much hair