Any Good Places To Go In London/uk For Hair Replacement Fitting/ Cutting In

Dionysus57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a 28 y/o male who needs a hair replacement system where the hairline can be visible (I want to do a top knot style). I know with a lot of lace front wigs girls use you can't really notice the hairline - and you can pluck the front hairs out of the lace to create baby hairs etc - I'm not sure if the ones made from men can work in the same way?

I think finding a colour match shouldn't be too difficult as I dye my hair black anyway (well, what's left of it).

But obviously tonnes of my hair has fell out by my age. I have some long hair that can also go up into a top knot too which could help disguise, it's just where to go?

I'm looking around and I'm just seeing so many bad reviews etc. Hair4all looked good on YouTube but I've seen bad reviews about the guy who runs it. London Hair Clinic I've seen bad reviews.

What's going on is there anywhere good that I can go to for help?

I just thought I'd try a hair unit before I shave everything off and get micro pigment done.

Does anyone know any decent places to try? I want something medium/thin and not a big thick head of hair. Wouldn't look right.

Dionysus57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Noah that was really helpful I've saved all that stuff down whilst I'm doing my research!

Have you used the London hair clinic before? Are they dodgy? There seems to be loads of dodgy ones out there I can't believe it.

I'm quite good at hair (I cut my own anyway) and I'm quite artistic and good at makeup etc so I think I could probably do it myself if I had two mirrors, I just wanted to get started up by someone who can give me what I need, cut everything for me and glue it on and then away I go!

I also wondered, after you peel it off the first time, do you need to use some type of acetone to remove the old glue (and dead skin and god knows what else) from the lace before you stick it back on?

And also can you swear through it. I was worried that a layer of glue on my scalp would make boils start appearing and block pores etc!

Have you heard anything on Men's Hair 2 go? They're quite close to where I work!

I just don't want a big thick awful thing I just want a nice normal wit with a hairline I can get plucked away to look natural

I was hoping not to have to travel to Bristol as I am London based im so surprised this stuff isn't more prevalent around here!

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Dionysius

I will PM you about the London Clinic and MensHair2Go.

If you are wise you will not keep your system on for so long that there is a lot of dead skin and other muck under it. You should be looking to detach, clean and reattach every 1 - 2 weeks, and if you do that your skin under your unit will still be clean and in good shape. I know that some system suppliers suggest that you can keep a system on for 4 - 6 weeks, but that is very unhygienic, and doesn't do anything for the look of the system either.

However, even after a week of wear there is of course some spent adhesive to be got rid of as part of the maintenance process. At that point the glue should still be relatively fresh, so it should be possible to rub most or all it off using some cotton wool. More stubborn residue can be soaked off with 99% isopropyl alcohol (surgical spirit). You don't need acetone for ordinary hair system glue.

If you choose a lace system, the usual approach is just to attach it at the perimeter, to maximise the breathability of the unit. So apart from the strip at the edges, the whole surface of the system is breathable and your scalp is free of cover and can sweat.

Noah

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also from London (Heathrow side) and it is shocking how little there is in terms of salons/support for hair systems. Given that London is one of the biggest cities in the world, surely there must be a huge market just waiting to be taken.

I've give up on the salon route and am attempting a (mostly) DIY route instead. It's not easy but it will be better in the long run.

BTW you could try hairrevive (oogle or Insta them). I haven't used them but I spoke to the guy who owns it and he was really helpful and knows his stuff - and is a wearer himself. They can do home visits.

I haven't found any systems stylist on my side of London - which is a real shame.

Dionysus57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I was thinking wow 4-6 weeks that's disgusting to have something glued on for that long.

I'd rather pull it off every week and wash everything off and start over.

I'm really looking forward to doing this just hope i can get it done exactly how I want it.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mind if I ask where?

London is a big place and it can take me 2 hours to get to some places from where I live just on the outskirts.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mind if I ask where?

London is a big place and it can take me 2 hours to get to some places from where I live just on the outskirts.

You will need to contact them directly, I believe it's in Central London, but don't have a direct address.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey thank you, have you used these before?

I, personally, have not. I used one of their stylists in Madrid (they did the cut in the avatar photo). However, I do know someone who has (which is why I feel strongly about recommending them). I pinged him, and am waiting for a follow-up with contact info., so you can ask him directly about his experience.

If you want to see his results, you can go on Instagram, and look up captain_gent.

Best,

Steve

Dionysus57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! His hair looks great and he still goes clubbing with it and all sorts!

I'm so interested in this and scared at the same time, but as time goes on I am getting left with no choice unless I wanna shave everything off but I'm not ready for that look yet (nothing wrong with it though but I do wanna get a bit more muscly)

Also, another question, do anyaof you get to bleach the knots on your lace wig? To make it look more realistic?

Or do the units generaly come with such a realistic lace that you wouldn't even need to do this?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! His hair looks great and he still goes clubbing with it and all sorts!

I'm so interested in this and scared at the same time, but as time goes on I am getting left with no choice unless I wanna shave everything off but I'm not ready for that look yet (nothing wrong with it though but I do wanna get a bit more muscly)

Also, another question, do anyaof you get to bleach the knots on your lace wig? To make it look more realistic?

Or do the units generaly come with such a realistic lace that you wouldn't even need to do this?

It depends on the color and density. I have 70 - 80% silver, and my second unit had no bleached knots, because it weakens the knots, and causes shedding. You don't see the knots on the 20% of #2 hair. Light colors do not need it. If you have a dark, low-density system, depending on how you style, you may want to opt for bleached knots at the parting or hairline.

Dionysus57

My Regimen
Reaction score
It depends on the color and density. I have 70 - 80% silver, and my second unit had no bleached knots, because it weakens the knots, and causes shedding. You don't see the knots on the 20% of #2 hair. Light colors do not need it. If you have a dark, low-density system, depending on how you style, you may want to opt for bleached knots at the parting or hairline.
Yeah I think that's a good idea because I'm gonna need black hair and people will see the hairline so doing just the hairline plus a bit of plucking and baby hairing should be good.

I'm not too clued up about densities though. I might need to do further research on that. Ideally I'd like medium/thin - my biggest nightmare is endkng up having a big thick obvious bird's-nest as I am not 15 anymore!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I think that's a good idea because I'm gonna need black hair and people will see the hairline so doing just the hairline plus a bit of plucking and baby hairing should be good.

I'm not too clued up about densities though. I might need to do further research on that. Ideally I'd like medium/thin - my biggest nightmare is endkng up having a big thick obvious bird's-nest as I am not 15 anymore!

That's why you go to an expert, and work with them. They will help you figure out what density to do in each zone (usually 6).

A properly done hairline should require no plucking. I don't get the "baby hair" thing, personally.

Dionysus57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I am wearing a TCP system now. Has its pros and cons.

What do you want to know.

What are the main pros and cons in your experience?

Mainly how realistic did your hair turn out. What's your hairline come out like?

Were they a good service? Did they set you up so you can do things yourself?

Did they seem like they were on it with the hair line, density etc.

Their website looked good. Don't want to end up with a super obvious wig though that would make me not want to go out.

Dionysus57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look at the vids on Youtube. I think they look horrible. with very few exceptions.
There were some on Instagram where the density is quite low and the hairline looked really good. I'm just weighing up my options at the moment. Also I think they glue the whole thing down which I just don't want to do. I'd rather use a French lace system I think where I will be able to bloody breathe apparently