Any Experience With Very Low Dose Oral Minoxidil (less Than 5 Mg)

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read somewhere that oral 1.25mg daily, stopped hair shedding in 33% patients and hair increased in 28%, so 1.25mg is effective for 61% of users.
Also 1 year mark is the maximum results, then efficiency declines after this. So probably increase dosage after a year

Very interesting. Not heard of that before. Shame about the efficiency decline after a year; just shows how much we have to tinker and add to our regimen as time goes on.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very interesting. Not heard of that before. Shame about the efficiency decline after a year; just shows how much we have to tinker and add to our regimen as time goes on.

Ill see if i can find the study. It was only about 30 people i think tho.

I also read a study that Asprin daily effect minoxidil, decreases the efficiency dramatically.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
don't use the dropper that comes with minoxidil-that's impossible.
Get a disposable microliter syringe. 1.25 mg is 25 microliters.
With a dose this low I'm going to continue using topical once a day. I hate minoxidil;)

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ill see if i can find the study. It was only about 30 people i think tho.

I also read a study that Asprin daily effect minoxidil, decreases the efficiency dramatically.
Yes, you should stop daily aspirin if you use minoxidil topically. I did months ago when I read the study.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have stopped topical, will see in the next few months if any of the small gains made can be maintained with just oral, 10mg in morning 10mg at night. Im going through a very bad shed right now though, lost alot of density. So it's just dutasteride, spironolactone and oral minoxidil. Hopefully i will see results.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@SteveTabernack @Obsessive and @Derelict how has your experience been with oral minoxidil? Has the shedding decreased? What about regrowth?
Oral min was mostly, or totally responsible for the first signs of regrowth after an agonizing 6 months on losing. Had to quit due to sides. I'm preparing for a big regimen change as what I'm doing now has become a total fail: 1 mg finasteride, topical e, ralox, and liquid minoxidil. I have dutasteride and spirono and may try, again, adding a low dose of oral min. This will be my last hurrah since I will not go more extremem than dutasteride, spironolactone, and low dose oral min.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In other words, oral min was magical for me.
Magical in terms that you noticed noticeable/significant regrowth? Please tell me where it was just slight regrowth or significant?

One thing I've noticed is that people on other forums have had significant regrowth and they maintained it as well, which is not the case with people on this forum. Infact, I read somewhere that one guy actually got to NW1 (woww!)

I'm planning to add oral minoxidil to my current regimen - fina 1mg, hairmax forte (ingredients: 5%minoxidil, Retin-A and hydrocortisone), but I'm afraid of initial shed as I'm a diffuse thinner. How was the shed you went through with oral minoxidil? Was it brutal?

Thank you very much in advance.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral min was mostly, or totally responsible for the first signs of regrowth after an agonizing 6 months on losing. Had to quit due to sides. I'm preparing for a big regimen change as what I'm doing now has become a total fail: 1 mg finasteride, topical e, ralox, and liquid minoxidil. I have dutasteride and spirono and may try, again, adding a low dose of oral min. This will be my last hurrah since I will not go more extremem than dutasteride, spironolactone, and low dose oral min.
I don't really get sides from anything. So they're not an issue for me.

I started losing my hair (on overall scalp) when I was 15. Now I'm 19 and have lost 50% density; and all I want is to have hair on my head. Sides don't really scare me now. Just want to live my life my way till 35 or 40. After that I don't care what happen to me. (I know it might sound crazy :))

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't really get sides from anything. So they're not an issue for me.

I started losing my hair (on overall scalp) when I was 15. Now I'm 19 and have lost 50% density; and all I want is to have hair on my head. Sides don't really scare me now. Just want to live my life my way till 35 or 40. After that I don't care what happen to me. (I know it might sound crazy :))
Ha-I'm 40 and I just want to keep it thick for another 10 years. Oral min regrew and thickened. Others noticed. Shed was minimal of possibly non-existent. Take action.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ha-I'm 40 and I just want to keep it thick for another 10 years. Oral min regrew and thickened. Others noticed. Shed was minimal of possibly non-existent. Take action.
Thank you! It's appreciated. :)

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Any sheds? How long until first results appeared?

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to try oral minoxidil, although I am fearful of a long-lasting initial shed. Would a dose of 0.625MG/day be effective?

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No shed big enough to get my attention. 6 weeks was when I suddenly noticed a nice improvement.
Were you already on topical? Asking because about 60-70% of experiences I've read about oral minoxidil exxagerated alot about she'd.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Were you already on topical? Asking because about 60-70% of experiences I've read about oral minoxidil exxagerated alot about she'd.
I overlapped topical with oral for ~ 2 weeks then dropped topical. As I said, I had to quit oral and have been back on topical ever since.