Any dog owners here?

Jacob

Reaction score
Cassin...I should have asked you which specific one you're feeding your dog. I was reading that link I posted and they touched on most of it, Science Diet is even mentioned quite a bit.

Some good reads if you have time:

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/672947/1

http://dogfoodchat.com/hills-science-diet-dog-food/

I'd suggest any pet owners here to sign up for Wysong's 100 Pet Health Truths http://www.wysongpethealth.net/ ..you get them via email, a few times a week if I remember correctly. Even if you have no plans to use their products..it's a good education. One thing some companies are so against is corn..which is in a few Wysong products. I'll just let you read their take on it. Rotation is key..my dog is not eating the same thing every day!

http://www.wysong.net/learn/entry/104/

Innova Comment:
“Ground corn is the entire corn kernel, ground or chopped. Although ground corn is a good quality source of carbohydrates, it is a common cause of food allergies in pets and is not used in Natura products.â€￾

Wysong Response:

Corn, per se, is not the cause of allergy. Most allergies result from a compromised immune system due to singular reliance on so-called “100% completeâ€￾ foods such as Innova.

Hundreds of pets that were supposedly allergic to corn have been fed the Wysong products that contain corn in combination with the other advice in the Optimal Health Program and have thrived with no adverse reactions. This is true even for pets that have shown a positive allergy/sensitivity test to corn.

Corn is used in dry foods to permit the extrusion of a formed nugget. Substituting other starch-based ingredients such as potato, rice, wheat, etc., all of which contain potential allergens as well, does not solve the underlying nutritional problem of feeding processed pet foods meal after meal.

Paranoia about corn in the pet food industry serves only the interests of marketers trying to create business by trying to be different.

Wysong has many diets that do not include corn. This is ignored since it would make Innova’s strawman comparisons invalid.

http://www.wysong.net/learn/?View=entry&EntryID=88
(guess they'd have to update that..as they're not making starch-free products)

BARF...I'd maybe do that if I had more time..and better access to a butcher(not at Walmart..). Wysong has a # of products that are basically "raw"...they even carry a safe handling warning/caution on the bags. Their other products are made with the least amount of heat involved..etc.

oni

Reaction score
Jacob said:
Cassin...I should have asked you which specific one you're feeding your dog. I was reading that link I posted and they touched on most of it, Science Diet is even mentioned quite a bit.

Some good reads if you have time:

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/672947/1

http://dogfoodchat.com/hills-science-diet-dog-food/

I'd suggest any pet owners here to sign up for Wysong's 100 Pet Health Truths http://www.wysongpethealth.net/ ..you get them via email, a few times a week if I remember correctly. Even if you have no plans to use their products..it's a good education. One thing some companies are so against is corn..which is in a few Wysong products. I'll just let you read their take on it. Rotation is key..my dog is not eating the same thing every day!

http://www.wysong.net/learn/entry/104/

Innova Comment:
“Ground corn is the entire corn kernel, ground or chopped. Although ground corn is a good quality source of carbohydrates, it is a common cause of food allergies in pets and is not used in Natura products.â€￾

Wysong Response:

Corn, per se, is not the cause of allergy. Most allergies result from a compromised immune system due to singular reliance on so-called “100% completeâ€￾ foods such as Innova.

Hundreds of pets that were supposedly allergic to corn have been fed the Wysong products that contain corn in combination with the other advice in the Optimal Health Program and have thrived with no adverse reactions. This is true even for pets that have shown a positive allergy/sensitivity test to corn.

Corn is used in dry foods to permit the extrusion of a formed nugget. Substituting other starch-based ingredients such as potato, rice, wheat, etc., all of which contain potential allergens as well, does not solve the underlying nutritional problem of feeding processed pet foods meal after meal.

Paranoia about corn in the pet food industry serves only the interests of marketers trying to create business by trying to be different.

Wysong has many diets that do not include corn. This is ignored since it would make Innova’s strawman comparisons invalid.

http://www.wysong.net/learn/?View=entry&EntryID=88
(guess they'd have to update that..as they're not making starch-free products)

BARF...I'd maybe do that if I had more time..and better access to a butcher(not at Walmart..). Wysong has a # of products that are basically "raw"...they even carry a safe handling warning/caution on the bags. Their other products are made with the least amount of heat involved..etc.

Hills Science Diet, my vet is always pushing that stuff............. :whistle:

Yes you do need a good butcher but you don't need more time to feed a BARF Diet!

I feed my dogs whole rabbits as a treat, fur and all. I also feed them whole eggs shell and all.

All you need is a small chest freezer and stock it once a week.

They get fish once a week and I supplement them with Equine Cortaflex Powder with HA (once a day) because it is cheaper and the same as their other products. A 500Kg horse only needs 14g a day so my 50Kg dog gets 1.4g a day.

Jacob

Reaction score
But that's the thing, I wouldn't want to freeze anything. Wysong used to sell a frozen product, but got away from that too.

It would take me a heck of a lot more time..trust me :hump: There's no way I would just feed mine all meat..and if you look at the ingredients provided a Wysong diet..that'd be a pain to try to provide.

oni

Reaction score
Jacob said:
But that's the thing, I wouldn't want to freeze anything. Wysong used to sell a frozen product, but got away from that too.

It would take me a heck of a lot more time..trust me :hump: There's no way I would just feed mine all meat..and if you look at the ingredients provided a Wysong diet..that'd be a pain to try to provide.

It is not all meat.

It is all of the animal.

I think you are getting away from the fact, your four legged friend, descended from a wolf! (a carnivore).

I let them have a few broccoli stalks and carrot ends to mix things up.

If you don't like using the freezer, keep the stuff in the fridge and restock every 3-4 days.

Cassin

Reaction score
Jacob said:

Science Diet.

Jacob said:
Some good reads if you have time:.

I will make the time...I'm pretty interested in this. Thanks, Jacob!

Cassin

Reaction score
oni said:
Hills Science Diet, my vet is always pushing that stuff............. :whistle: .

Thats what they push here in the US as well.

oni said:
I let them have a few broccoli stalks and carrot ends to mix things up.

Thats what I am working into my dogs diet as well. She loves raw green beans which is pretty amazing.

oni said:
I feed my dogs whole rabbits as a treat, fur and all. I also feed them whole eggs shell and all.

You know...one of the longest lived dogs we have ever had in the family lived out in the country, caught and ate a live rabbit about once a week ( we think.) Damn near ate the whole thing. This cute dog who once upon a time snoozed on couches all day in the AC ended up being a dog that wanted to be outside all the time and would have blood all over her face all the time. Pretty shocking but she loved it.

Jacob

Reaction score
Cassin... I meant which Science Diet product. But I'm sure they're all pretty similar.

oni..all the things in that product and in Wysong's foods are beneficial. Many not found in a raw diet. I realize they descended from wolves, but just like with us humans, sometimes we can do better than what our ancestors ate(and no, I'm not talking about McD's!). Or in the case of wolves..what they still eat.

I'm all for BARF..it's just not for me at the moment!

Jacob

Reaction score
Yeah..they all seem to have those same not-so-good ingredients.

They say it's a good idea to add water to dry dog food..if you don't also give them some soft(I mix some into the dry lots of times). Supposedly they don't always know/can't tell that they need more water, which is needed when eating the dry.

oni

Reaction score
Jacob said:
Cassin... I meant which Science Diet product. But I'm sure they're all pretty similar.

oni..all the things in that product and in Wysong's foods are beneficial. Many not found in a raw diet. I realize they descended from wolves, but just like with us humans, sometimes we can do better than what our ancestors ate(and no, I'm not talking about McD's!). Or in the case of wolves..what they still eat.

I'm all for BARF..it's just not for me at the moment!

Prove it!

I have given my dogs many different diets (including the Science Diet).

My Dogs have never been better than on a Barf Diet.

Give it a go for 6 months........................................ :whistle:

Jacob

Reaction score
Prove what? :dunno:

I know a lot of folks who have gone to all or mostly raw and sang the praises. Same for those who have switched to something like Wysong. In most of the cases...the "great" food they were previously feeding their pets was not so great after all! Even some of the more expensive products out there aren't that great.

Everyone needs to educate themselves. Wysong calls theirs The Thinking Person's Pet Food. I didn't see what was so great about theirs(and at the time they didn't have a lot of the products they now have) until I researched the heck out of everything.

oni

Reaction score
Jacob said:
Prove what? :dunno:

I know a lot of folks who have gone to all or mostly raw and sang the praises. Same for those who have switched to something like Wysong. In most of the cases...the "great" food they were previously feeding their pets was not so great after all! Even some of the more expensive products out there aren't that great.

Everyone needs to educate themselves. Wysong calls theirs The Thinking Person's Pet Food. I didn't see what was so great about theirs(and at the time they didn't have a lot of the products they now have) until I researched the heck out of everything.

Prove

all the things in that product and in Wysong's foods are beneficial

I think most of the stuff is unnecessary..................................................

Jacob

Reaction score
But they're beneficial.

Again, it's not just the ingredients, it's how the food is processed...preserved..etc(if not going raw. I mean really raw..since some of their stuff is considered raw- never cooked.)

Cassin

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
I sometimes give my dog tuna and rice when I run out of my regular stuff.

Anything wrong with that I don't know of?

I use a veg and meat dry working dog food normally. Doesn't have any additives that I can see!?

As long as it's not oil in the tuna I don't see why not

oni

Reaction score
Jacob are you working for Wysong............................................................ :innocent:

Jacob

Reaction score
oni..well yes, of course :shakehead:

monty1978..I wouldn't feed too much of it. Because of mercury etc.

What dog food are you feeding? It's not just additives one has to worry about. And sometimes it's not fully disclosed what is used, and companies aren't required to disclose everything. For example..a company called Orijen gets (or at least used to) their meat meals from other sources, as a lot of companies do. They were claiming they used all natural preservatives, etc..so I was quite interested in their line. Was emailing back and forth with them...all of a sudden they got defensive, and eventually stopped responding when I inquired what preservatives the company making their meat meal used. This created quite a stir in a certain forum I was at..and threads on it started disappearing. Some time later they ended up changing things. I guess you could say it was another example of a company following Wysong(I had gotten the info off of Wysong's site about how meat meals can be made..what preservatives are sometimes used..that companies aren't required to disclose those preservatives that are used in meat meals..etc)

BTW..I'd still put Orijen in my top 10..even with my experience with them.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
41659_1420403335_247_n.jpg