Anxiety / depression triggering hairloss early...

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
I totally believe that my extreme depression and anxiety over a period of 6 months (girlfriend from hell) led to my hairloss and triggered my male pattern baldness.... Alot of the males in my family have the same hairloss pattern but had it alot later in their life...

Its quite interesting because so many stories on here start with someone admitting they had anxiety, panic attacks, depression etc... not to mention those who probably chose not to mention it.

I truly believe that unfortunately alot of us early male pattern baldness'ers have had it a tad too early, because of a stressful event etc. Whereas we couldhave had another 5 years mabye without severe loss.

Anyway just thought i'd share my thoughts.

Sammo

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
Do yourself a favour: dont believe on those craps.
It's true. Short of coming back from Iraq with a severe injury and a bad case of PTSD, it's pretty unlikely stress is causing your hairloss, which, btw, is only a special kind of hairloss called tellogen effluvium--doesn't look like male pattern hairloss.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Doug Douglas said:
IBM said:
It's true. Short of coming back from Iraq with a severe injury and a bad case of PTSD, it's pretty unlikely stress is causing your hairloss, which, btw, is only a special kind of hairloss called tellogen effluvium--doesn't look like male pattern hairloss.

Exactly. Human nature first thing we do is try to find some excuse to blame this on. Its just your genes.

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[quote="Doug Douglas":2dz35otd]
IBM said:

Exactly. Human nature first thing we do is try to find some excuse to blame this on. Its just your genes.[/quote:2dz35otd]
For the first few weeks of my discovering hairloss forums, after discovering my own hairloss, I blamed it on Telogen Effluvium, too. It's kind of your gut instinct to choose the option that is temporary and puts you psychologically at rest.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When your body is stressed it uses loads more vitamins and minerals. The first to be starved is your hair.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Really, but only the hair on the top of your head I suppose. :roll: How come the donor hair region does'nt get starved?

metalheaddude

Reaction score
I don't think stressing about hairloss is going to help the situation. In fact stress is not going to help any situation.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I beleive stress causes hairloss at a much more alarming rate, ESPECIALLY where it is already weakened.

Think about it....

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Really, but only the hair on the top of your head I suppose. :roll: How come the donor hair region does'nt get starved?

When I was suffering from stress, I lost hair all over my head. Including my donor hair. I would rub the back of my head and hair would fall like crazy. The difference being it was thicker and I had far more of it in the first place. I was already suffering from mbp on the crown, nothing to serious though. Stress increased my hairloss in my opinion by about 2 years.

Also when stressed you suffer a hormonal change which can then lead to depression. This hormonal change can have an effect on your hair, resulting in hair loss. Many women also suffer from hair loss after pregnancy from the stress or /and hormonal changes.

s.a.f

Reaction score
We're talking about m.p.b here though, stress related hairloss is something totally different.

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
We're talking about m.p.b here though, stress related hairloss is something totally different.

I agree stress can bring hairloss on its own (temporary) but it can also 'accelerate' and progress male pattern baldness at a much faster rate.

I think 'optimus prime' got what i was trying to say... i wasnt simply coming up with a theory to blame hairloss on haha.

Sammo

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
for 1 year at 27 i suffered anxiety and panic attacks... (nothing hair related) i went from full head of hair to bald spot on vertex and nw2 temples... in 1 year...

now of course that was completely male pattern baldness and not temporary stress induced hairloss...

But it could be possible that alot of stress can trigger the gene that starts binding that DHT to follicles... im pretty sure that if i hadn’t suffered that stress at 27 i wouldn’t be as progressive as i am now... granted i would still be slowly loosing hair.... but not to the same...

im now 31... and my hairloss hasn’t changed much in 2-3 years... its slowly progressing now... where as in that stressful year it flew out....lol not that i was too bothered at the time... i just wanted to be stress free and enjoying life again.

i believe there is deffo something related in triggering the gene...

metalheaddude

Reaction score
chancer said:
But it could be possible that alot of stress can trigger the gene that starts binding that DHT to follicles... im pretty sure that if i hadn’t suffered that stress at 27 i wouldn’t be as progressive as i am now.....

I tend to agree. I think stress/anxiety can act as a trigger in some instances of male pattern baldness as well. But this trigger may just fire off earlier than it otherwise would have as a result of this stress. There is so many yet undiscovered variables in regards to hairloss im willing to explore them all. The more eliminate the closer you come to a solution.

ants

Reaction score
I absolutely fully believe that stress can trigger male pattern baldness hair loss - what happened to me. I dont think what happened to me was a coincedence

RAKBS

Established Member
Reaction score
Excess stress almost invariably leads to the f*****g up of your other hormones.

I don't know if this directly initaties male pattern loss but I know that you probably have slower loss and better chance of regrowth if you've fixed your hormones, and removed outside sources of stress and inflammation. Just look at how effective Propecia, a drug that works on hormones, is.