Anti-androgenetic alopecia effect of policosanol from Chinese wax by regulating abnormal hormone levels to suppress premature hair follicle entry into

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Abstract​

Previously, we have demonstrated that policosanol from Chinese wax suppressed testosterone(T)-induced alopecia in mice. However, the underlying mechanism remained to be determined. Herein, we investigated the mechanism of policosanol against androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Androgenetic Alopecia was induced in Kunming mice by subcutaneous administration of testosterone propionate for 60 d. Policosanol (0.5 %, 1% or 2%) was applied topically on the back of mice. Finasteride (2%) was applied topically as a positive control. The serum T and estradiol (E2) concentrations were determined by ELISA after 28 and 60 days of treatment. The cutaneous expression or activity of key mediators of hair growth, such as alkaline phosphatase (ALP), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), and epidermal growth factor (EGF), was measured. MTS assay was performed to evaluate cell proliferation in cultured human dermal papilla cells (DPCs) treated with dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Western blotting was performed to evaluate the protein expression of Bax, Bcl2, TGF-β2, caspase-9, and caspase-3. We found lower T and T/E2 ratio in mice treated with policosanol than in the model group. Policosanol suppressed premature hair follicle entry into the regression phase, as shown by improving VEGF and EGF expression and ALP activity. The MTS assay showed that policosanol markedly inhibited the apoptosis of DHT-treated DPCs. Western blotting showed that policosanol significantly reduced the protein expression of TGF-β2, cleaved caspese-9, cleaved caspase-3, and Bax, and increased that of Bcl2. The optimal effect was obtained with 12.50 g/mL policosanol. In conclusion, policosanol prevents androgenetic alopecia by regulating hormone levels and suppressing premature hair follicle entry into the regression phase.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
A ancient friend

Policosanol” is a term coined by researchers in Cuba to refer to an extract derived from sugar cane wax that was a mixture of long-chain alcohols

MrOscar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. So basically they seemed "doing the job", but with no apparent advantage vs finasteride/dutasteride, but I assumed you have quickly stopped using them because of sides, correct?
As you wrote some time ago, I was hoping on a detoxification mechanism by conversion to fatty acid and beta-oxidation (reported to happen in vitro), but probably not enough.
Have you tried these in glyco-alcholic vehicle 80-20, 1-2% ?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. So basically they seemed "doing the job", but with no apparent advantage vs finasteride/dutasteride, but I assumed you have quickly stopped using them because of sides, correct?
As you wrote some time ago, I was hoping on a detoxification mechanism by conversion to fatty acid and beta-oxidation (reported to happen in vitro), but probably not enough.
Have you tried these in glyco-alcholic vehicle 80-20, 1-2% ?

Yeah. It was the standard Ethanol-PG vehicle at 1% I believe.

I do think it works as well as the study suggests, but yeah, sadly the molecule doesn't seem to get converted into anything inactive and hits the bloodstream just like any other 5-ARI.

MrOscar

My Regimen
Reaction score
A friend of mine is thinking about testing policosanols. 80% ethanol was in the reference vehicle and I guess the study opted for high % of ethanol because these are long chain alcohols.
Was the solution clear when you used the reference vehicle?
I'm wondering if a different vehicle made by using an emulsifier + emu-gel like Aristoflex or Pemulen Tr2 and a lower ethanol % could make some difference.

polishkickbuttowski

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hm, it was probably one of the 329746 things I got gyno from, and...
I think the other guy got ball ache or something.
I'm really sensitive to antiandrogens too and have accepted that I'll have to deal with some level of gyno if I want to keep my hair. I'm currently on weekly dutasteride and low dose RU, which definitely gives me some gyno but is hopefully effective. Are you on any antiandrogen now or what are you looking to use next?

FluxZ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. It was the standard Ethanol-PG vehicle at 1% I believe.

I do think it works as well as the study suggests, but yeah, sadly the molecule doesn't seem to get converted into anything inactive and hits the bloodstream just like any other 5-ARI.

Did you make the solution by yourself? Where did u get policosanol, supplements or bulk powder? Thanks

Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you make the solution by yourself? Where did u get policosanol, supplements or bulk powder? Thanks

Yes I made it myself.