Anti-aging info so you can live till HM:

CCS

Reaction score
Life span is how long you are capable of living if nothing (heart attack, cancer, car crash, murder) kills you first. Life span varies with genetics, but typically is 110 years for the average human, plus or minus 10 years.

Life expectancy is how long you are likely to live after all possible death factors are accounted for. In the united states it is about 78-85 years for men and women.

Taking the right anti-oxidants at the right time, vitamins, exercise, and other stuff you heard of can extend your life expectancy. Some people overdose, but most benefit, so the average goes up. But doing these can reduce your life span if you do them wrong. They do not increase your lifespan since they don't slow aging, but can reduce it if you wrong, so the average lifespan is reduced.

Despite all the money making fountain of youth claims, anti-oxidants have not been proven to lengthen lifespan, according to 51 scientists who study aging. They can cure some diseases if the right kind are used at the right time, and can hurt you if you use too much at the wrong time, but they don't slow the aging process since your body needs oxidants sometimes and often does not have the extra anti-oxidants in the right place when it needs them. All you can do is have the basic amount, and that is it.

To extend your lifespan, there are two possible ways: 1. calorie restriction that is attained gradually while keeping nutrition above the rda, and 2. Resveratrol.
Both of these can double your remaining youthful years, increasing your lifespan from 110 to 160. This can even increase life expectancy in some ways since your body is better able to fight diseases when it is in a youthful state. However, it can also lower your life expectancy if you don't get enough nutrition, or if you yo yo diet or drop calories faster than 5% per month, or if you take too much resveratrol. The reason you can't tripple your life span by eating even less is there are vitamins we have not discovered yet, and you might not get enough of them if you don't eat enough. My advice is to combine calorie restriction with resveratrol, and get more than the needed vitamins.

CCS

Reaction score
Let's look at the japanese and their life span.

Their kids grow taller in the US because they eat more here. The cron diet is better after age 25 for this reason, since short people may have shorter life expectancy than bigger people who can fight off predators.

The islanders who live the longest eat 20% fewer calories than the japanese on the mainland.

The japanese, who live 7 years longer than us, don't eat so much processed food, and eat natto. Natto has vitamins that many americans are deficient in. You think you get enough vitamin K, but you don't. The rda is not right and does not distinguish between the types. It only has the minimums to stay alive and healthy when you are young, not the ideal amount to avoid disease down the road. The japanese also eat fish that are high in vitamin D. Americans have very little vitamin D in their diet. Natto is the biggest source of a vitamin that was discovered in 1979, vitamin ppq. These vitamins help the japanese avoid disease and have a longer life expectancy, but not a longer life span, since the vitamins don't slow aging. The fatty acid GLA fights disease by alterning gene expression, but it does not slow DNA damage or aging.

The oldest japanese actually are aging slower because of their lower metabolism.

Cat's claw extract might also speed up dna repair after UV radiation, and might be good in sun blocks. or as after care after coming out of the sun. It is also called AC-11, and can be taken orally.

Retin-A might attack pre-cancerous areas of your skin so healthy cells can grow back in. That would increase your life expectancy, not span, as long as you stay out of the sun during treatment.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I always felt that people belonging to the Mongoloid race aged well....

Take a look at this 74 year old Japanese body builder...He really has a tight body for his age.

japanese_old_bodybuilder_01.jpg

japanese_old_bodybuilder_00.jpg

s.a.f

Reaction score
Probably on steroids and GH.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know but you still need to work out....HGH and steroids can only help you if you work out regularly.For a 74 year old,that is impressive even if he did use steroids.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I meant GH can give a young looking face without doing anything.

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I meant GH can give a young looking face without doing anything.

GH can distort your face too. Watch out.

Back to Resveratrol:

http://www.resveratr....com/page40.htm “Bioavailability One of the nagging obstacles for resveratrol has been its seeming lack of oral bioavailability. Initial studies on the life prolongation effects of resveratrol were performed in yeast cells, not mammals that have a liver that metabolizes ingested molecules. At least four times in 2004 news stories emanating from newly published research papers declared red wine pills are not orally bioavailable and therefore of no potential benefit. Since red wine molecules like resveratrol and quercetin in red wine are efficiently attached to sulfur and sugar-like molecules (a process called sulfation and glucuronidation) on their first pass through the liver, there is little free resveratrol available thereafter. Many consumers threw away their resveratrol pills with the publication of these news reports. Researchers indicate resveratrol may have some benefit in the lining of the digestive tract but cannot exert systemic health benefits because of liver metabolism.

For example, Thomas Walle and colleagues at the University of South Carolina confirm that a minimum of 70 percent of oral resveratrol, as a small molecule, is absorbed in the human digestive tract, but thereafter most resveratrol in blood plasma is conjugated with (complexed with) sulfur and glucuronic acid as it passes through the liver. [Drug Metabolism Disposition 32:1377–82, 2004] Other studies also indicate that gastric absorption of resveratrol in-vivo may be high but there is limited bioavailability due to efficient sulfate conjugation. [J Pharmacy Pharmacology 55:307–12, 2003] Researchers in Britain also maintain that oral resveratrol is not bio-available and that an aerosol delivery system would be required to treat lung diseases. Am J Physiology Lung Cell Molecular Physiology 287:L774-83, 2004 … Moreover, three studies indicate the inclusion of quercetin with resveratrol inhibits sulfation in the liver and improves bioavailability. [Xenobiotica 30: 609–17, 2000; 30: 857–66, 2000; 30:1047–54, 2000] Additionally, lecithin has been found to enhance the oral absorption of polyphenols like quercetin and resveratrol. [J Agriculture Food Chemistry 13; 50:1706–12, 2002]â€

There is also a patent showing curcumin helps you get use out of resveratrol. I still like the idea of letting it absorb in my mouth. Alcohol helps too, but not sure if that is a good idea.

CCS

Reaction score
If the polyphenols in green tea and fruits enter your blood as is, they prolong your life. if they are messed up or metabolized wrong, they shorten your life:

SIRT1 stimulation by polyphenols is affected by their stability and metabolism.

Vincent C J de Boer, Marcus C de Goffau, Ilja C W Arts, Peter C H Hollman, Jaap Keijer
Silent information regulator two ortholog 1 (SIRT1) is the human ortholog of the yeast sir2 protein; one of the most important regulators of lifespan extension by caloric restriction in several organisms. Dietary polyphenols, abundant in vegetables, fruits, cereals, wine and tea, were reported to stimulate the deacetylase activity of recombinant SIRT1 protein and could therefore be potential regulators of aging associated processes. However, inconsistent data between effects of polyphenols on the recombinant SIRT1 and on in vivo SIRT1, led us to investigate the influence of (1) stability of polyphenols under experimental conditions and (2) metabolism of polyphenols in human HT29 cells, on stimulation of SIRT1. With an improved SIRT1 deacetylation assay we found three new polyphenolic stimulators. Epigallocatechin galate (EGCg, 1.76-fold), epicatechin galate (ECg, 1.85-fold) and myricetin (3.19-fold) stimulated SIRT1 under stabilizing conditions, whereas without stabilization, these polyphenols strongly inhibited SIRT1, probably due to H(2)O(2) formation. Using metabolically active HT29 cells we were able to show that quercetin (a stimulator of recombinant SIRT1) could not stimulate intracellular SIRT1. The major quercetin metabolite in humans, quercetin 3-O-glucuronide, slightly inhibited the recombinant SIRT1 activity which explains the lack of stimulatory action of quercetin in HT29 cells. This study shows that the stimulation of SIRT1 is strongly affected by polyphenol stability and metabolism, therefore extrapolation of in vitro SIRT1 stimulation results to physiological effects should be done with caution.

CCS

Reaction score
grapes use resveratrol as a natural anti-biotic. I hope taking a lot of it does not kill the good bacteria in some people's guts. I'm really starting to think sublingual is the way to go.

CCS

Reaction score
The french lifestyle explains the french paradox. May have nothing to do with the wine. But I read that red wine dissolved more resveratrol just fine, and is absorbed under the tongue. Probably the best way to take it for now.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
The whole "French Paradox" thing first requires you to assume that eating fats is bad. If you stop being fooled into thinking that saturated fats are bad for you then the whole "french paradox" quandary just falls apart. Considering there's no real link between saturated fats and heart disease it's a wonder why the term "french paradox" still exists at all!

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Dietary modifications and even calorie restriction only add a very modest amount to your life expectancy, a few years in the best case. If you are serious about extension of the healthy human life span I recommend you find ways to contribute to research efforts such as www.sens.org

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally, one of my biggest fears will be that we just might stumble upon immortality one day. We're currently at the point where we can't support all of the humans we have on just this planet. What happens when the 200k+ people who normally drop dead every day suddenly dwindles to half of that?

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
I think humanity has a knack for adapting when it needs; I'm sure many couples would choose to have one or two children and live youthfully forever rather than three or four children and have their quality of life continue to decline until Alzheimer's claims their identities completely.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
Taking the right anti-oxidants at the right time, vitamins, exercise, and other stuff you heard of can extend your life expectancy. Some people overdose, but most benefit, so the average goes up. But doing these can reduce your life span if you do them wrong. They do not increase your lifespan since they don't slow aging, but can reduce it if you wrong, so the average lifespan is reduced.

Good post.

Ive been wondering about this for a while now.

It would be helpful to take a look at information on the ideal timing, combination and dose of vitamains, minerals and antioxidants.

CCS

Reaction score
Ouroboros said:
Dietary modifications and even calorie restriction only add a very modest amount to your life expectancy, a few years in the best case. If you are serious about extension of the healthy human life span I recommend you find ways to contribute to research efforts such as http://www.sens.org

Correct. I looked at the actual studies. In all the life extension studies, they over feed the control animals to make them obese. The control animals then die 10% sooner than normal, which is cited as the calorie restriction diet working. The actual calorie restrction diet is just a normal diet instead of the current obese diet. This proves that obesity shaves 10% of how long you would have lived otherwise.

The 50% longer life figure comes from the very oldest member of the test group, which probably had longevity genes similar to 120 year old humans.

The dishonesty of those reporting and designing these studies is sickening. At least they reported what they actually did if you want to read that far.
Here is the dog study:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 091302.php

And resveratrol results in yeast were not repeatable. The only hope for that is GlaxoSmithKline is in stage 1 human trials for a drug they think is much more potent than resveratrol. maybe we will get a 20% boost without fasting, and it will cost a bit.

The liars who site the people of okinawa had pick the healthiest, longest living old people in that you tube video. The supplement can't be absorbed by your intestine. The okinawan's make it in their body because they are youthful, not because it is in their food. The average Okinawan only lives 5 years longer than the average american, and only because they are not obese. We have genetically gifted people here, many of whom have kids who are not so genetically gifted with long life and health.

http://okicent.org/

Do the CRON diet if you are desperate, but there is ZERO proof. Just a few tails of low calorie people living over 100, same as many smokers and normal calorie people who genetically live over 100. Show me ONE human who lived to 150.

CCS

Reaction score
patagonia said:
CCS said:

Good post.

Ive been wondering about this for a while now.

It would be helpful to take a look at information on the ideal timing, combination and dose of vitamains, minerals and antioxidants.

I'll save you the trouble. If you want to get sticky cholesterol off your arteries, drink pomegranite juice for a year. But I have not seen the actual study, so it might be another lie.

Lots of stuff work in test tubes, especially if the control is given something bad. But it makes $$$$ if you give the conclusions to the media.

CCS

Reaction score
The CRON diet's founder was not saved by the diet. Not even with all his anti-oxidants and nutrients. He died of health problems, not a fall or car crash.

Show me one deliborate, text book CRON dieter who lived over 85.

Every 110 year old I heard of at lots of eggs and bacon and smoked cigarettes. They knew from years of experience that they were gifted.

Show me one normal person who gained 20 years from a 1500 calorie diet. My brother's face looks like a skull. He says he did not lose any weight, but appearantly he lost fat and gained muscle. Lost too much fast if you ask me. 135 pounds.

CCS

Reaction score
Probably anyone who can handle a fast or a restricted diet is someone who was going to live longer anyway. I don't think individuals can change like that on a dime. I think our population has long living low metabolism people to survive famines will others die off.

I bet the long living russians were the ones who survived. The short living ones starved.