Another newbie asking for advice on getting started

Guitarmaster

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have done some research online and I decided I want to get a hair system.

I want a Swiss lace unit with poly back and sides for ease of cleanup and durability. I am willing to the deattachement weekly and do just perimeter taping. Not sure if I’ll use glue or tape for the front.

However some problems with this:

Can anyone recommend me a good supplier of hair systems? There are so many online (Lordhair, Lavivid, Toplace, Hair bros etc.) I am having decision freeze.

There is also low supply so I won’t be able to get the unit I want so I might have to settle for all French or all Swiss lace or go with a thin skin. ( I work out so I don’t want poly).

Also what about color matching? I can’t send hair samples to every supplier seeing as I don’t have much of my own and the little I have I use with Toppik to create the illusion that I am not bald.

I plan on growing some facial hair, taking a week of work and trying to get a stylist to cut it pretty short so it matches the length of my bio hair. When I return to work I will shave my face and wear new clothes so the transition is easier on me psychologically.

I have diffuse thinning so I have still have a hairline and a strong crown. I have lost hair everywhere though in a Norwood 6 pattern. So with Toppik I create the illusion of having hair but it just looks flat.

On another note, should I just go to a salon? In my area there are 2 salons: One that does it for $400 and another one for about $525 a month and that includes a new hairpiece every month. If I decide to go the salon route I will probably do it for about a year and then go on my own. I can’t justify spending 5k a year on fake hair.

Your thoughts?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First all, you should not need a new unit each month so toss that $500 crap out! No way in hell I’d spend that much a month for hairpieces (although the first, and only, salon I have ever been to for a hairpiece said they have a wealthy doctor that does that). You most likely would need a new unit every 3-4 months, longer depending on the base and well it’s taken care of.

Secondly, the best thing I did for hair color was I purchased a color ring from a vendor, I can message you 2 of them, and matched it up to which one was closest. Both places allowed me to return the color rings for a refund and I just paid shipping. Also, both suppliers I plan on purchasing a unit from when they get stock for me.

The all French or Swiss lace is going to be the hardest to find right now, but there are suppliers that have some. I’ve purchased 3 units in the last month that were all lace. I did this while they had them in just in case the shortage continues even longer than anticipated.

How comfortable are you doing the maintenance yourself with the research you have done? My suggestion, go to the salon for the first month. I’m not sure what that $500 covers, but if you can get a unit and 1 maintenance out of it then it’s not a bad deal. It would be even better if it included a unit and then 2 maintenances in that month so it will give you enough time to watch what they do, whilst reading more online. After that, you should feel pretty good about trying it out yourself.

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guitarmaster,
everyone a happy new year

My thoughts on your questions:

First of all I don´t know what exact you want. If you buy a hair system you need someone to cut it in. It´s impossible to cut it in for yourself.
Thats one of the main facts if you want a system that matches yourself or not. Thats one of the main facts that it looks natural.

The next question:
Go to the salon. Tell them you want to try. Let them cut it in etc.
One of the systems will last at least 3 months. Even if its the thinnest UTS. For your example it would be maybe 2000 USD incl bonds etc which you have to buy for yourself.
In my case I had the same problem, they want to sell me a hair system every 4-6 weeks.
My systems last for 1,5 years now, they look good. But you have to be careful. I´m a not daily wearer

Greetings

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Like JMC said and like I plan to do once I start wearing, is do the salon for at least the first month, or two, or even three, until you feel comfortable. Swiss lace with a poly back and sides is usually not found in stock units so that would have to be a custom order which these days will take months. A lot of these companies also offer hair cuts too , you just select the style. You will still probably have to hit up the barber so they can blend it in a bit. Good luck to you.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone here trust barbers to actually get the blend correct? Is this a way to get more choice in who you go to in order to get your bio hair sorted?

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here trust barbers to actually get the blend correct? Is this a way to get more choice in who you go to in order to get your bio hair sorted?
Just make sure the barber knows to always leave a little bit of overhang on the system. Take a look at 8:37 in the video below to see what i'm talking about. This poor guy thinks his barber did a great job.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Guitarmaster

That's a good choice of system design. As you say, though, you may have to be flexible for a few months in the current market conditions. I am sure you will be able to get something that works for you.

If you want a hairline which is going to be visible, you will need to use glue or Walkers 3-mil tape (which is semi-solid glue sold in a tape format). Other tapes will be detectable on a visible hairline.

I will PM you some thoughts on possible suppliers.

A bit risqué I know, but if you don't want to cut your head hair you could use underarm hair or public hair as a colour sample, assuming it is the same colour. The texture will likely be different, and you can make that clear.

If your natural hairline is still in good shape, have you considered whether you can continue to use it, and put the system in behind it? Some guys like to do that, because it camouflages any little flaws in your hairline.

There is quite a lot to be said for having a salon to support you at the start, if you can find a good one. By 'good' I mean one which takes the trouble to match the product they sell you to your style wishes and lifestyle, and which educates and empowers you to become self-sufficient over the course of time. There are a lot which sell a 'one size fits all' product - usually a stock injected skin unit without a graduated hairline - and then expects you to come back every month for the rest of your life for maintenance. That sort of experience is not likely to end well. As JMC says, those prices seem very high. I don't know where you are, but the going rate for a salon-fitted system outside New York is around $700 - 800, and monthly servicing visits around $80 - 120. You should be able to get at least 3 months from a decent system, and eventually 4-6 months.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do NOT suggest matching hair color with a photograph... whether it is of your own hair or of a color ring or sample. You WILL not get an exact match, since cameras and monitors all display color differently. Even if you are holding a color sample in your hand, lighting has a HUGE influence on how we see color, and you need to look at it as natural a light as possible, against your own hair.

For your first system, I suggest trying a salon... they will be able to do all the heavy lifting, including color matching, template, etc.

However, try to find one that does NOT lock you into a contract. As previously stated, you don't need a new system every month.

Even if you buy a system on-line, you will still need a salon to do the cut in, so you will need to plan on this.

If you do indeed to buy a system on-line, first find a company that can do what you want, that's not so easy these days. You didn't mention if you needed premade or custom. Once you find a company, you can send them a sample. A company is not going to want to see your hair sample without an order, anyway.

Good luck.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just make sure the barber knows to always leave a little bit of overhang on the system. Take a look at 8:37 in the video below to see what i'm talking about. This poor guy thinks his barber did a great job.

This guy's hair looks awful! Classic look of dead animal stuck on his head.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do NOT suggest matching hair color with a photograph... whether it is of your own hair or of a color ring or sample. You WILL not get an exact match, since cameras and monitors all display color differently. Even if you are holding a color sample in your hand, lighting has a HUGE influence on how we see color, and you need to look at it as natural a light as possible, against your own hair.

For your first system, I suggest trying a salon... they will be able to do all the heavy lifting, including color matching, template, etc.

However, try to find one that does NOT lock you into a contract. As previously stated, you don't need a new system every month.

Even if you buy a system on-line, you will still need a salon to do the cut in, so you will need to plan on this.

If you do indeed to buy a system on-line, first find a company that can do what you want, that's not so easy these days. You didn't mention if you needed premade or custom. Once you find a company, you can send them a sample. A company is not going to want to see your hair sample without an order, anyway.

Good luck.
Absolutely on the lighting ... what I did was have my girlfriend hold up the color ring in various lighting situations. We held it up under harsh lighting, darker lighting, even went outside under natural light. I suggest having someone help you as I feel sometimes we have preset in our minds what color hair we have.

Guitarmaster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks to all for your answers. I am grateful for everyone taking their time to answer my questionsI however thought of another hair system variable that is an issue.

Hairline Contour. It really seems like a I am a C maybe a CC. But all system a I see come in an A contour which I am definitely not.

Can I get a system from a reputable seller that is perfectly graduated C or CC hairline?

Posted some pics of my diffuse thinning including my intact temple peaks and my hairline which although it has gotten weaker it is still there.

PD
Pardon the nasty dandruff. Liquid rogaine makes my dandruff much worse.

Attachments

• 009A6275-3724-4EAA-9949-8FCBB8755918.jpeg
    009A6275-3724-4EAA-9949-8FCBB8755918.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 108
  • 462E68C4-747D-4F5F-9DDE-6004A20136A6.jpeg
    462E68C4-747D-4F5F-9DDE-6004A20136A6.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20D47FDD-A5D5-42E5-B439-58C37E9613AB.jpeg
    20D47FDD-A5D5-42E5-B439-58C37E9613AB.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 112
  • C3E1A06E-0DE3-4BA5-A4C7-CF5ECDC31A98.jpeg
    C3E1A06E-0DE3-4BA5-A4C7-CF5ECDC31A98.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
@Guitarmaster Thanks for being kind enough to share photos. Me and you have very similar hair. Looks like your hairline would definitely be best as a CC contour. You are fortunate to have kept decent temple points, too. Just make sure you do not go low at all with the placement. Keep it where your hairline is naturally.

Lavivid and Lordhair are two companies that have these contours available right now but mostly in poly. Most other companies are out of stock with their supply. You have no chance of getting a swiss lace unit for a good few months IMO. If you want a custom with the poly back and sides i'm sure you can put in a custom order request but you will be waiting a few months for that as well.

Bald42Long

My Regimen
Reaction score
This guy's hair looks awful! Classic look of dead animal stuck on his head.
lol actually that is one of his better units. Go back a few months and you'll see how ridiculous his piece is. Not to be mean, but he is a great example of what not to do with your hair system.

Backcountry

My Regimen
Reaction score
First all, you should not need a new unit each month so toss that $500 crap out! No way in hell I’d spend that much a month for hairpieces (although the first, and only, salon I have ever been to for a hairpiece said they have a wealthy doctor that does that). You most likely would need a new unit every 3-4 months, longer depending on the base and well it’s taken care of.

Secondly, the best thing I did for hair color was I purchased a color ring from a vendor, I can message you 2 of them, and matched it up to which one was closest. Both places allowed me to return the color rings for a refund and I just paid shipping. Also, both suppliers I plan on purchasing a unit from when they get stock for me.

The all French or Swiss lace is going to be the hardest to find right now, but there are suppliers that have some. I’ve purchased 3 units in the last month that were all lace. I did this while they had them in just in case the shortage continues even longer than anticipated.

How comfortable are you doing the maintenance yourself with the research you have done? My suggestion, go to the salon for the first month. I’m not sure what that $500 covers, but if you can get a unit and 1 maintenance out of it then it’s not a bad deal. It would be even better if it included a unit and then 2 maintenances in that month so it will give you enough time to watch what they do, whilst reading more online. After that, you should feel pretty good about trying it out yourself.
JMC, can you pm me a supplier that has lace in stock? I can’t find any anywhere right now. Thanks

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
lol actually that is one of his better units. Go back a few months and you'll see how ridiculous his piece is. Not to be mean, but he is a great example of what not to do with your hair system.

I like the old days when you only "appear in print" when you are born, married, and die.