Androgenetic Alopecia vs. AA

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't there an alternative generic form of Tofacitinib? Or some sort of derivative, we could try something like that at first.

No, its a brand new drug. There's no generic alternative. There's ruxolitinib, but thats even more expensive.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Topically only. If and only if I acquired Xeljanz(tofacitinib)) from a positively confirmed source.

- - - Updated - - -

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn, this time we're on the wall due to money :(. I wonder how hard would it be for a rogue chemist to make it. Isn't all the available instructions and chemicals needed on the wiki? It looks that's way to me.

moskva

Reaction score
The 10,000 cost is the consumer cost. It doesn't actually cost that much to produce the stuff, I read somewhere that Pfizer got 5,000 people in their clinical trials so the R&D costs were a TON so the price NOW is to make up for it as well as cover costs for any potential lawsuits (side effects).

Regardless, they tried it on that Kyle Rhodes guy with Psoriasis so someone could easily try it for androgenetic alopecia. We should not be waiting 2 years after it was tried for alopecia areata, thats BULLSH*T.
I kinda remember they claimed that the ointment for psoriasis and AA did a good job at localizing this chemical. Anyway they dare to try the drug on psoriasis and AA, they should consider try it on male pattern baldness which is a cosmetic problem at least as severe as AA and psoriasis.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
5mg=95€ I think the dose is like 10 or 15mg a day. What would you do with it? Topically?

The oral dosage of Tofacitinib was 5mg twice a day.

- - - Updated - - -

I kinda remember they claimed that the ointment for psoriasis and AA did a good job at localizing this chemical. Anyway they dare to try the drug on psoriasis and AA, they should consider try it on male pattern baldness which is a cosmetic problem at least as severe as AA and psoriasis.

We really need to get a doctor to try this out on male pattern baldness. I may send out some emails to some top docs and get their input on it.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I don't want to inundate or "bog down" this thread with "cherry picker speculation" regarding the topic of xeljanz's unfounded potential as a treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia, but here's another study link(summary) that tries to address the well known inflammatory response often associated with Androgenetic Alopecia. It's by no means a perfect parallel, but I think it may support the need or value of further exploration.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.androgeneticalopecia.com/hair-loss-biology/hair-loss-inflammation-baldness.shtml

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Walker, you mentioned earlier Pfizer study on topical Tofacitinib for plaque psoriasis. Is there such a study?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't want to inundate or "bog down" this thread with "cherry picker speculation" regarding the topic of xeljanz's unfounded potential as a treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia, but here's another study link(summary) that tries to address the well known inflammatory response often associated with Androgenetic Alopecia. It's by no means a perfect parallel, but I think it may support the need or value of further exploration.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.androgeneticalopecia.com/hair-loss-biology/hair-loss-inflammation-baldness.shtml

Read the conclusion from that article:

Therefore Mahe and his team deduce that the genetic factors and androgen metabolism are only responsible for about 30 percent of the androgenetic alopecia cases, and factors which lead to the lethal damage by microinflammatory process include androgens, microbial flora, endogenous or exogenous stress, genetic imbalance, amongst others. Formation of fibrous tissue or fibroplasia of the dermal sheath, which surrounds the hair follicle, is now suspected to be a common terminal process resulting in the miniaturization. Involution of the pilosebaceous unit in this form of baldness and sustained microscopic follicular inflammation with connective tissue remodeling, eventually resulting in permanent hair loss, is considered a possible cofactor in the complex etiology of androgenetic alopecia. However, till date, the inflammatory component has not been explored in developing treatment protocols for androgenetic alopecia.

Incredible that researchers have suggested this for a long time and yet... NOBODY has tried to do a damn thing about it for Androgenetic Alopecia even after Tofacitinib proved to work for AA?

WHY are bald men being ignored?!?!

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Maybe all and all men are still reluctant to confess their insecurities because of the historically ingrained pressure within and without to quietly behave( shut up or ship out!). At times this "man up" approach is warranted, particularly in events threatening national security job and family security, basic needs ,etc.,. If I were presently in a lower tax bracket or economic demographic my priorities and energy focus would undoubtedly need to change. Is the freedom to b**ch about my hair loss a luxury? If so why don't I feel free any luckier. I realize I am using "same ole" circular rhetoric to answer your reasonable outcry and demand for progress. Some of us as hair loss "sufferers" refuse to dwell in the shadows and anxiously count on the progression of time to redeem us, while others choose a form of cover to conceal their ill-perceived vulnerability(hair loss). The fact that there is true suffering regardless of it's origins should not matter, but somehow it does. The hair loss industry may be on the cusp of a new phase of involvement and evolution,perhaps thanks in part because our concentrated dream has grown too large to be kept secret. The change will arrive, and until then we must push with much deliberate force if we are to learn which direction it will take us.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
I think what another member said was right, now that patients are being prescribed tofacitinib for arthritis, we should be able to see if it works on patients within a year. I'm talking about the unfortunate souls with both arthritis and Androgenic Alopecia, of course. Can anyone tell me what time of doctors usually specialize in arthritis. I'm gonna make a spreadsheet and some research and contact some doctors to hopefully do some meta analysis if they're willing to do it.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Though there are other docs that treat arthritis a Rheumatologist's specializes in arthritis.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Once again we have another study that identifies AU as yet another suspected autoimmune disease. Could autoimmune disease(s), in our case, those that produce alopecia be a possible down stream(so to speak) effect of a larger unidentified/overlooked immune condition. While we have several theories about what causes autoimmune diseases, it's clear origins remain elusive. Yes M.P.B. is (so far) justifiably not recognized as an immune disease symptom, all the same, I'm very curious when further research finally determines AU's "undefined antigen". Good read btw.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Once again we have another study that identifies AU as yet another suspected autoimmune disease. Could autoimmune disease(s), in our case, those that produce alopecia be a possible down stream(so to speak) effect of a larger unidentified/overlooked immune condition. While we have several theories about what causes autoimmune diseases, it's clear origins remain elusive. Yes M.P.B. is (so far) justifiably not recognized as an immune disease symptom, all the same, I'm very curious when further research finally determines AU's "undefined antigen". Good read btw.

The more closely you look into Androgenetic Alopecia the more connections you see between it, inflammation and similarities between Arthritis. This again really pisses me off as to why not a single doctor made an effort for a single case study on tofacitinib and Androgenetic Alopecia (but we all know why; disrespect towards mens health).

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
It's up to us to exact concentrated pressure in all the right places. We should act with plurality, and swing as one. Keep knocking on doors and squeaking master wheels. With diplomatic finesse and a Merc's professional instincts we move in unison like skillful hound dogs strategically flushing out the most prized quarry. Press the right questions and maybe we will connect the broken dots. If true hair loss progress is our primary target then it is our obligation to study/ track her(Progress) constantly in an artfully deliberate and tactful manner so our presence is known and she begins to understand that the hot and heavy breath on her back is not the breath of her customary bungling pursuers, but rather a special breed of hunters who's implacable temperament and determined resolve have demonstrated themselves as rightful heirs and heiress' to the forbidden city.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone got that diagram of all the known pathways in androgenetic alopecia? I've seen it somewhere on this forum before......