Androgenetic Alopecia vs. AA

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Two questions:

1) Are the follicles in Alopecia Areata miniaturized like they are in Androgenetic Alopecia?
2) Does the surrounding area of the follicle in male pattern baldness have any similarities as in Alopecia Areata?

EvilLocks

Reaction score
Im surprised you didnt know the differences between aa and Androgenetic Alopecia, hellouser... how are people gonna take what you say about a possible cure and dr. lauster ++ seriously when you dont even know the basic difference between these two diseases... lol

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im surprised you didnt know the differences between aa and Androgenetic Alopecia, hellouser... how are people gonna take what you say about a possible cure and dr. lauster ++ seriously when you dont even know the basic difference between these two diseases... lol

I ask because I wanna know if what holds back AA from growing hair is the follicle being miniaturized like it is in Androgenetic Alopecia, or rather it's the same size but not growing any hair at all. I've read mixed reports. I don't see how you're jab at me is warranted as I've never been interested in AA as I don't suffer from it... are YOU well informed of all the alopecias? I bet not.

That said: ANSWER THE QUESTION.

brunobald

Reaction score
Its interesting that AA progression is aggressive suggesting that the immune system response is extreme yet for some reason the follicle can survive after years of inflammation and attacking by the body.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its interesting that AA progression is aggressive suggesting that the immune system response is extreme yet for some reason the follicle can survive after years of inflammation and attacking by the body.

So what are the main differences in the follicles from Androgenetic Alopecia and AA?

brunobald

Reaction score
Don't know will have to read up on it, but I would be looking for maybe a difference in the area being attacked by the immune system. It's possible that AA attacks a part of the follicle that can easily recover while Androgenetic Alopecia is more permanent somehow. Maybe we can contact the female doctor from the university that came up with the new AA treatments to find out more about the differences.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't know will have to read up on it, but I would be looking for maybe a difference in the area being attacked by the immune system. It's possible that AA attacks a part of the follicle that can easily recover while Androgenetic Alopecia is more permanent somehow. Maybe we can contact the female doctor from the university that came up with the new AA treatments to find out more about the differences.

That would be Dr. Angela Christiano:

http://vesta.cumc.columbia.edu/dermatology/index.php?id=amc65&type=research

It'd be interesting to know if the follicle itself in AA resembled any characteristics as it would in Androgenetic Alopecia. If the two are in any way alike, reversal for Androgenetic Alopecia *could* be possible and which treatments may work (like the recent ruxolitinib news). What we know is that DHT, PGD2 and DKK1 all need to be suppressed while PGE2 levels need to be increased. Of course this still may not allow the follicle to reverse itself to normal socially acceptable size BUT we don't know what else Ruxolitinib may do that may have other benefits for Androgenetic Alopecia.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Causal mechanism is the main difference-IMO.

In AA, its autoimmune reaction. Th2 cell-derived cytokines (lymphocytes) are activating mast cells (inflammation). In Androgenetic Alopecia, mast cells become immunoreactive via the androgene receptors.

And if this is right, im worried, Ruxolitinib won't work for Androgenetic Alopecia. Ruxolitinib disables cytokines receptors, It has nothing to do with Androgenetic Alopecia inflammation mechanism.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Causal mechanism is the main difference-IMO.

In AA, its autoimmune reaction. Th2 cell-derived cytokines (lymphocytes) are activating mast cells (inflammation). In Androgenetic Alopecia, mast cells become immunoreactive via the androgene receptors.

Yah but blocking DHT does fvck all for hair, there still many other things going on with Androgenetic Alopecia hency why DKK1 and PGD2 suppression needs to be addressed but for some stupid reason nobody has really tried to do anything about it... even Cotsarelis who's talked about it hasn't done much eventhough he's way more informed about all this than us and would be able to run some tests with whatever 'known' drugs there are for PGD2 inhibition. Insane how the news about PGD2 was released 2 years ago and STILL we're nowhere near figuring it out. Ruxolitinib was approved in 2011 by the FDA and the stuff was already under trials for AA shortly after. PGD2 has 'known' drugs and nothings been done... Cots won't even name them. WTF.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Yah but blocking DHT does fvck all for hair, there still many other things going on with Androgenetic Alopecia hency why DKK1 and PGD2 suppression needs to be addressed but for some stupid reason nobody has really tried to do anything about it... even Cotsarelis who's talked about it hasn't done much eventhough he's way more informed about all this than us and would be able to run some tests with whatever 'known' drugs there are for PGD2 inhibition. Insane how the news about PGD2 was released 2 years ago and STILL we're nowhere near figuring it out. Ruxolitinib was approved in 2011 by the FDA and the stuff was already under trials for AA shortly after. PGD2 has 'known' drugs and nothings been done... Cots won't even name them. WTF.

Exactly... I agree with benjt on this (Androgenetic Alopecia):

1. mast cell triggered
2. histamine released
3. PGDS/COX elevated
4. PGD-2 elevated

I doubt Ruxolitinib works for Androgenetic Alopecia.

You are right about "not only DHT".. I was just thinking -It could be some systematic "mast cell disease"

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hellouser don't bother there isn't going to be a hair loss cure that is going to save your youth.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
hellouser don't bother there isn't going to be a hair loss cure that is going to save your youth.

Then log off and don't ever bother with forums ever again.

I have other plans.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't we still have to get rid of the fibrosis? Or by suppressing pgd2 may reverse it?

- - - Updated - - -

Well someone on the forum can get on this new drug and test it

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Don't we still have to get to of the fibrosis? Or by suppressing pgd2 may reverse it?

- - - Updated - - -

Fibrosis is the result of chronic inflammation. Rux. is like 8000$ a month.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't we still have to get rid of the fibrosis? Or by suppressing pgd2 may reverse it?

- - - Updated - - -

PGD2 suppression is still only one aspect of Androgenetic Alopecia. May not do anything for us. Given that DHT is only one of many culprits in Androgenetic Alopecia and balding continues while blocking it completely, it only proves that there's much more to Androgenetic Alopecia than a single pathway. So... PGD2 may exhibit similar problems. Personally, I don't think addressing PGD2 is going to cut it. Probably some reversal and a more guaranteed halt to hair loss, but not a complete solution like arthritis drugs for AA. Something much bigger than PGD2 and DHT imo needs to be addressed... if not, then all pathways simultaneously.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
That said: ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Well first off, I do know a little about pretty much all the alopecias. To understand alopecia you can't focus on just one, you need the bigger picture.
I'm not a scientist and I don't know it all, but I thought everyone on here knew the basic difference between the 2 most common types of hair loss.

But to answer your question;

What holds the follicle back from growing hair in AA is that the immune system treats it as foreign, shocking it to fall out. This generally happens in patches, but can also go on to include complete head baldness in Totalis or even all hair on the body in Universalis. Exactly why this happens is poorly understood, but the new research surfacing might be able to answer the question.

In people with Androgenetic Alopecia the follicle in genetically suspectible individuals become increasingly sensitive to hormones in the body, which results in progressive miniaturization of the hair follicle resulting in pattern baldness. But I guess you already know that.

What separates AA from Androgenetic Alopecia is that in AA the follicle itself remains healthy as it's not affected by hormones. The hair is shocked to fall out, but can regrow at any time since the follicle itself is not compromised, but remains intact - even in individuals with complete baldness. Remission in AA is common and most people get away with a few spots that either grow back on their own or are treated with steroid injections. The disease can be in remission for years then re-appear, why is poorly understood. In people with Totalis or Universalis the prognosis can be poor, but regrowth is possible.

While AA shocks the hair to fall out and leaves completely smooth bald patches, Androgenetic Alopecia works it's demonic process on the follicle itself by shrinking it to produce poor quality hair then eventually stop. There is some evidence that the follicle remains even in Androgenetic Alopecia, but it is much smaller and unable to produce a decent hair.

As the causes of AA and Androgenetic Alopecia are totally different, the treatment for each condition will also be. It seems easier to spark a healthy follicle into growing hair, than nursing a sick and small follicle back to health.

I understand you are grasping at straws here but the truth is this is two different conditions, with different causes and outcome. If this new cure for AA is the real deal then it's probably (almost definitely) NOT gonna work on Androgenetic Alopecia.

- - - Updated - - -

PGD2 suppression is still only one aspect of Androgenetic Alopecia. May not do anything for us. Given that DHT is only one of many culprits in Androgenetic Alopecia and balding continues while blocking it completely, it only proves that there's much more to Androgenetic Alopecia than a single pathway. So... PGD2 may exhibit similar problems. Personally, I don't think addressing PGD2 is going to cut it. Probably some reversal and a more guaranteed halt to hair loss, but not a complete solution like arthritis drugs for AA. Something much bigger than PGD2 and DHT imo needs to be addressed... if not, then all pathways simultaneously.

This. We can agree on. I think you are right! I feel like we are missing the golden egg here, but it probably comes down to multiple processes happening at once to result in Androgenetic Alopecia. I do worry though, if blocking all those "pathways" simultaneously, what effect that will have on the body. Because whatever is in our bodies naturally are there for a reason, and completele blockage might be dangerous for other parts of our body. I think Androgenetic Alopecia simply comes down to how some people's bodies are genetically programmed to react a certain way to certain hormones etc, which is why some people have Androgenetic Alopecia and some lucky bastards don't.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Instead of blocking which is always dangerous, it would be best to find a way to make the hair follicle much stronger to androgens. How, I have no clue, but a topical is ideal.