Androgenetic Alopecia improvement?

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia through a scalp biopsy about 2 months ago. At that time, I was already noticing a slow down of shedding from the worst (120+ a day) ... and has continued to slow down so that now it's about 50-60 per day. Not having hairs all over the place any more. And I can see some regrowth, but nothing in proportion to what I've lost. I'm still very thin on top and sides.

I'm taking some treatment for PCOS, and hoping that will help. But my slowdown in shedding started even before that. I assume the biopsy has to be correct. Am I just indulging in false hope here? Maybe this is just a temporary reprieve, and in spite of any measures it will pick up again and go crazy? Or, could this be a good sign of things turning around? I am so excited to not be losing so much, but afraid just when I begin to take a sigh of relief, the nightmare will begin again.

Julie

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
Androgenetic Alopecia IMPROVEMENT

Julie,
I wish I could tell you a defninitive yes or no if it's helping or not.
What regimen are you on now?
I would recommend staying with whatever you're doing. Shedding slow down is generally a good sign.
The thing I've had to accept and is so hard is that there is no cure there is only treatment and if we don't keep up the treatments we pay the price.
Hang in there!
Michelle

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm taking Metformin for my PCOS now, using a progesterone cream, and taking Vitex (an herb to balance out my male/female horomone imbalance), plus trying to lose more weight. These things are all supposed to help. However, the shedding did slow down from about 120 per day to around 80 per day before I even began any of this. It's slowed down more since then, but don't know if that is why or not.

I'm not sure why I would've seen things slow down before I began any sort of treatment, except maybe just a normal variance in hairloss with Androgenetic Alopecia. I'm doing all I can! I just hope it will be enough. I understand you can't totally cure it, but I feel it's important to address the underlying reasons why a fairly young, healthy woman would lose her hair. I mean, that isn't the norm. Rather than use products to force hair growth in spite of these internal problems, I'm trying to reverse them. I have signs of androgen excess, in spite of *normal* lab results.

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
I hear you about trying to correct what is going on internally. I have noticed after having my son that the hair on my arms and face got darker. Maybe an excess of male hormone?
I am also trying to lose weight, eat right, and hope that makes some difference in balancing out what ever is out of whack.
Those lab tests really don't help at all!
May I ask where you get Vitex or where there is info available on it?
Thanks.

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
I got the Vitex info from the PCOS group I'm on... There is an article about it on the archives there. I could try and send you the link if it was taken from somewhere else. I have put a lot of thought into all my options, including medications and Rogaine, etc.... and I'm sure not everyone would claim the same things to be right for them.

I am seeing regrowth... some. But then on top and sides I've lost nearly 50% of my density. I can't regrow that overnight (though it seems that's how I lost it). I am only about one month into most of these treatments. I figure I need to give it at least 3-4 months before I can judge. But I have NO patience.

Maxine

Reaction score
Waiting and shedding is the hardest

I agree with you. Waiting is the hardest part. I have no patience either but I decided this time, I would continue the treatments like I am supposed to and not "quit". I quit using Rogaine and another treatment with copper in it which i had been using for over a year. I had a lot of facial hair growth which is what made me quit. Well...all the hair I had grown back FELL OUT of course. I am 2 1/2 months into my treaments again and SLOWly....the hair has stopped shedding and I am seeing a little improvement. I know it is too early to tell what will happen this time around but I will say this: stick with treatments and don't give up! Giving up only makes it worse.
A fellow sufferer.