American Diet Is it killing your hair?

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Starvation is actually linked to the opposite triggering prolongation of the anagen phase and inducing hypertrichosis
Im gonna need a human study on that. Hair loss caused by fasting is infamous, probably the main cause of non androgenetic dupa.
Wow a bunch of self-reporting anecdotal surveys more interested in finding participants perceptions rather than the reality, thats pretty rock solid stuff buddy.

This study actually did the leg work and measured hair loss and found that people in their 20s weren’t having such high rates of hair loss as the Chinese perception surveys you linked suggested.
Imagine believing a self reported study. You need 3rd party experts to asses hair loss, we have people who are NW1.25 and they say sh*t like im about to hit NW3 and shave it off.

Last edited:

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im gonna need a human study on that. Hair loss caused by fasting is infamous, probably the main cause of non androgenetic dupa.
Not a study but I do remember seeing it mentioned in the presentation of a hair loss conference presented by a leading expert in hair research, I'll try and dig it up.

EDIT: found it, Ralf Paus mentions anorexia/malnutrition as one example of a causal factor of hypertrichosis.

Ralf Paus - Strategies To Promote Vellus To Terminal Reconversion | HairLossTalk Forums

Attachments

• Ralf Paus - WHC 2017.jpeg
    Ralf Paus - WHC 2017.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow a bunch of self-reporting anecdotal surveys more interested in finding participants perceptions rather than the reality, thats pretty rock solid stuff buddy.

This study actually did the leg work and measured hair loss and found that people in their 20s weren’t having such high rates of hair loss as the Chinese perception surveys you linked suggested.
You just posted a study from 2010 to disprove a health survey from 2020. Nice.

You're also being purposely daft in order to avoid having to admit you could be wrong. There isn't going to be a comprehensive study measuring the hair density of young people, especially of those in the past. You have to infer data and trends from market growth and other reporting standards.

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score

Imagine believing a self reported study. You need 3rd party experts to asses hair loss, we have people who are NW1.25 and they say sh*t like im about to hit NW3 and shave it off.
Really dude? Self reported studies are used all over the medical industry, including the clinical trials themselves. You think they're doing brain scans every time someone notes potential depression or anxiety from a drug?

I understand what you are saying but when you have health experts in China who have been in the field for decades declaring an "epidemic" of hairloss in youth, theres more to this then someone with BDD thinking their life is over because they have minor temple recession.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You just posted a study from 2010 to disprove a health survey from 2020. Nice.

You're also being purposely daft in order to avoid having to admit you could be wrong. There isn't going to be a comprehensive study measuring the hair density of young people, especially of those in the past. You have to infer data and trends from market growth and other reporting standards.
No, it is you who is being daft when you place purely perceptional data above directly measured data.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, it is you who is being daft when you place purely perceptional data above directly measured data.
I'm doing nothing of the sort. You literally just sent me the exact study referenced in the first half of the article I quoted, the numbers are exactly the same. Yet you proceed to sh*t on the second half of the same article, despite it already using a source you are admitting is high quality lol

In men, the overall prevalence of Androgenetic Alopecia was 21·3%, with 2·8% in men aged 18–29 years, 13·3% in those aged 30–39.

A 2010 study from six Chinese cities found that fewer than 3% of men aged 18-29, and just over 13% of those in their 30s, experienced male pattern baldness.

Literally the same study, yet you're still arguing it lmao

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm doing nothing of the sort. You literally just sent me the exact study referenced in the first half of the article I quoted, the numbers are exactly the same. Yet you proceed to sh*t on the second half of the same article, despite it already using a source you are admitting is high quality lol

In men, the overall prevalence of Androgenetic Alopecia was 21·3%, with 2·8% in men aged 18–29 years, 13·3% in those aged 30–39.

A 2010 study from six Chinese cities found that fewer than 3% of men aged 18-29, and just over 13% of those in their 30s, experienced male pattern baldness.

Literally the same study, yet you're still arguing it lmao
Yes you are comparing a perceptional self reporting survey with a study that directly measures hair loss, we know from past surveys of this type how wildly inaccurate they are so the conclusion you are trying to draw seem pretty weak.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes you are comparing a perceptional self reporting survey with a study that directly measures hair loss, we know from past surveys of this type how wildly inaccurate they are so the conclusion you are trying to draw seem pretty weak.
I'm not making this conclusion, researchers in China are. I'm just conveying their findings.

That's fine though, you are entitled to believe whatever you want. Just know that you're only really comeback here is that you personally don't believe it. I linked multiple articles of health officials/researchers stating that hairloss is on the rise in multiple similar countries in terms of diet and lifestyle. The studies are not perfect, obviously, but they are enough to hint at an emerging trend.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not making this conclusion, researchers in China are. I'm just conveying their findings.

That's fine though, you are entitled to believe whatever you want. Just know that you're only really comeback here is that you personally don't believe it. I linked multiple articles of health officials/researchers stating that hairloss is on the rise in multiple similar countries in terms of diet and lifestyle. The studies are not perfect, obviously, but they are enough to hint at an emerging trend.
I believe facts, I don't doubt that people think they are part of a generation that is seeing greater loss it's just empirical data doesn't point to that conclusion and I'm afraid that is the current medical consensus.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe facts, I don't doubt that people think they are part of a generation that is seeing greater loss it's just empirical data doesn't point to that conclusion and I'm afraid that is the current medical consensus.
If you're waiting for someone to come out and compare hair density per capita then you're in a holding pattern forever. People are hinting at trends for things that are largely very difficult to prove on the whole, yet you'd rather ignore them. The same goes for fertility across the developed world. We're being told that fertility rates have dropped astronomically in the last decade or so in men, yet I highly doubt there is hard pressed empirical data of the sperm counts of men 30-50+ years ago.

Again, I don't care whether or not it's speeding up or not. What I care about is that attention is clearly being paid to the possibility that it is, market sizes for remedies and therapeutics are expanding and treatments if not an outright cure will come out of it as a result.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're waiting for someone to come out and compare hair density per capita then you're in a holding pattern forever. People are hinting at trends for things that are largely very difficult to prove on the whole, yet you'd rather ignore them. The same goes for fertility across the developed world. We're being told that fertility rates have dropped astronomically in the last decade or so in men, yet I highly doubt there is hard pressed empirical data of the sperm counts of men 30-50+ years ago.

Again, I don't care whether or not it's speeding up or not. What I care about is that attention is clearly being paid to the possibility that it is, market sizes for remedies and therapeutics are expanding and treatments if not an outright cure will come out of it as a result.
Well I won't be because that is what the 2010 study did, so there really isn't an excuse to use sh*t data to draw sh*t conclusions from.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I won't be because that is what the 2010 study did, so there really isn't an excuse to use sh*t data to draw sh*t conclusions from.
The study you keep referencing is exactly the one that they are using as a base to estimate these trends.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The study you keep referencing is exactly the one that they are using as a base to estimate these trends.
Yes I keep referencing it because it is a high quality study that creates direct data points by using trained experts to make the assessments, it is nonsensical to extrapolate a statistical trend from the findings of that study using both a different collected data type and alternate methodology.

Perception Reality.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
If saturated fat can negatively affect the prostate & heart, why not the hair.

jazz1

Reaction score
Diet can assist in many factors...