American Diet Is it killing your hair?

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We have had 100’s of chemicals that supposedly grow hair. Many of us have tried them & every other cockamamie theory espoused, but still the vast majority report little to no progress. Why?
Perhaps it’s the American diet which is the main culprit. Perhaps eating steaks, greasy foods, beer, & junk food just hasn’t been proven to grow hair. Plenty of evidence for it killing hair. Why? Think about a nice 8 ounce steak. Plenty of red meat, plenty of cholesterol, plenty of fat, plenty of hormones. What does that equal? It equals an avalanche of DHT to kill your hair. So it does taste good, but perhaps to regrow hair we need to think Asian. Soy milk? Silk makes tasty soy milk with 20 grams of protein. Hair growing protein shakes anyone? Soy has estrogenic qualities which protects the hair. Whey, banana, milk? Why not Soy?
Because some idiotic muscle head says No.
Miso soup— tasty, filling
Fish instead of beef? Why not salmon or herring, or halibut, tuna?
This maybe the MAIN reason for hairloss
the American diet.
Try my suggestion for a month… you can still eat your occasional Big Mac, but start substituting.
In another note we talk about minoxidil.
A vasodilator. Did you know red wine dilates your blood vessels? This can be proven by vascular doctors. And olive oil & red wine have these polyphenols-plant based micronutrients. Beer like white wine has about a tenth the polyphenols. Thick red skinned wines Malbec, Pinot Noir. Cabernet the best. Sangrantino grapes tops the list. For example white wine 60 polyphenols… Sangrantino wines 780 polyphenols..
So perhaps a diet adjustment is called for.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not just American diet but Western Europe.. I’ve started incorporating tofu into my diet, helps with shedding and itch

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started about 2 weeks ago and my other treatments starting to grow some hair

platinums

Reaction score
There's nothing particularly unhealthy about dietary cholesterol or saturated fat, that kind of thinking should stay in the 90s.

Eating cholesterol does not raise cholesterol and eating fat does not turn it into bodyfat. And neither of them are going to "raise DHT" after you eat them.

Also the ingredient in red wine causing vasodilation is...alcohol. So that benefit comes with beer as well.

Overall I think diet has very little effect on hairloss, as long as you're getting sufficient calories and aren't majorly deficient in anything.

DHTbalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing to do with diet. Asians lose less hair even when transitioned to a western diet because of their genetics. In fact, eating healthy may raise testosterone - which means more of the by product DHT.

INT

Reaction score
There's nothing particularly unhealthy about dietary cholesterol or saturated fat, that kind of thinking should stay in the 90s.

Eating cholesterol does not raise cholesterol and eating fat does not turn it into bodyfat. And neither of them are going to "raise DHT" after you eat them.

Also the ingredient in red wine causing vasodilation is...alcohol. So that benefit comes with beer as well.

Overall I think diet has very little effect on hairloss, as long as you're getting sufficient calories and aren't majorly deficient in anything.

It is very easy to consume too much saturated and then it raises your risks of many different health issues, just as is the case with LDL cholersterol.

Aqalp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think a shitty diet exacerbates onset of male pattern baldness hairloss (that's how it started in my case).
Plus what about all the GMOs and growth hormones now pumped into foods ?

Last edited:

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Poor diet certainly causes Telogen Effluvium. I say this because when I was 12 I was starving myself to get slim again and started losing clumps of hair in the shower. Other than that, I don't think certain aliments cause hair loss.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Poor diet certainly causes Telogen Effluvium. I say this because when I was 12 I was starving myself to get slim again and started losing clumps of hair in the shower. Other than that, I don't think certain aliments cause hair loss.
Starvation is actually linked to the opposite triggering prolongation of the anagen phase and inducing hypertrichosis
I think a shitty diet exacerbates onset of male pattern baldness hairloss (that's how it started in my case).
Plus what about all the GMOs and growth hormones now pumped into foods ?
AFAIK the US is the only major economy that uses GMO, GH, and AAS's in their foods and I don't believe we are seeing a higher rate of ΑGΑ in the US as a result.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah otherwise why would hobos have amazing hair lmao. Always wondered this
Because they’re not susceptible to it.
The diet angle is purely a coping strategy for those that can't face that they lost the genetic lottery.
It’s not the whole reason but it plays a part. You saying it’s cope doesn’t mean a thing to someone that experiences an itchy scalp after eating junk food. Inflammation and androgens are the main players and how sensitive you are due to your genes.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because they’re not susceptible to it.

It’s not the whole reason but it plays a part. You saying it’s cope doesn’t mean a thing to someone that experiences an itchy scalp after eating junk food. Inflammation and androgens are the main players and how sensitive you are due to your genes.
Ok I'll make a correction unless your diet contains above negligible quantities of some orally bioavailable synthetic androgen your diet is gonna have zero impact on your hair loss and the idea that a pro-inflammatory diet is going to have any impact on the AR target gene expression that drives ΑGΑ specific inflammatory protein signalling is absurd.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok I'll make a correction unless your diet contains above negligible quantities of some orally bioavailable synthetic androgen your diet is gonna have zero impact on your hair loss and the idea that a pro-inflammatory diet is going to have any impact on the AR target gene expression that drives ΑGΑ specific inflammatory protein signalling is absurd.
I'd love to hear a better explanation for why hairloss is more prominent in the west, in developed countries and in recent generations has been more aggressive & early onset then in previous ones.

It's easy to say that it's absurd but its a pretty stand out variable that has recently moved to Asia where men are now losing it earlier as well compared to their fathers/grandfathers who didn't have that diet. Kintor specifically quotes a massive rise in earlier onset male pattern baldness in Chinese males as a sales point for why their AA drug's market is huge. There are a few other things that could be it, like plastics/BPH, but diet seems to fit the demographic and location pattern very specifically because it's only in the last 10-20 years that western foods have really picked up in China, where as plastics has been there for a much longer time.

Now, I don't think changing your diet after you've already started losing hair is going to do very much. We're talking about exposure for 15-20 years adding up.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd love to hear a better explanation for why hairloss is more prominent in the west, in developed countries and in recent generations has been more aggressive & early onset then in previous ones.
Where does this even come from? I have seen zero evidence that has suggested hair loss was less aggressive a few generations ago as it is today. This just seems like some theory based soley on the life experiences of a few people that spend more time on internet message boards reaffirming each others biases than spending anytime in the real world.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where does this even come from? I have seen zero evidence that has suggested hair loss was less aggressive a few generations ago as it is today. This just seems like some theory based soley on the life experiences of a few people that spend more time on internet message boards reaffirming each others biases than spending anytime in the real world.
Except it's not, it's actually a well noted fact by medical researchers, especially in Asia who are comparing 10 years ago to today, where numbers have sky rocketed. Thanks for your judgement of people who are clearly more intelligent then yourself, though. As if you couldn't be bothered to just google it, yet you want to judge people for not spending time in the real world lol. It's not a coincidence that major players in the industry are popping up all over the place in Japan, Korea and China. There was effectively 0 market 10+ years ago for hairloss, and it's becoming massive now. Take in the numbers of 2010 to today, where the 18-29 bracket was < 3%, compared to the last survey of ~33% in the same bracket 10 years later, and higher then those in the older age brackets. That's basically a statistical impossibility unless hairloss were more aggressive in younger people because of changing lifestyle & environmental factors.

Still not saying 100% that it is diet induced, but it's certainly a possibility.

A 2010 study from six Chinese cities found that fewer than 3% of men aged 18-29, and just over 13% of those in their 30s, experienced male pattern baldness. Earlier research from South Korea suggested that only 14.1% of the entire male population was affected, while Japanese men were found to develop male pattern baldness approximately a decade later than their European counterparts.

In 2020, a 50,000-person survey by the China Association of Health Promotion and Education reportedly found that the country's 30-somethings were going bald faster than any other group. Almost a third of respondents who were born in or after 1990 reported thinning hair, according to Chinese state media. A similar poll by Beijing's prestigious Tsinghua University reportedly found that an astonishing 60% of students had experienced some degree of hair loss.
Chinese state broadcaster CGTN went so far as to describe hair loss among the young as an "epidemic." But lifestyle changes have been accompanied by transformations in both technology and disposable income. Hair transplants are a viable solution for a growing number of men, and the Chinese market for the procedure is expected to hit 20.8 billion yuan ($2.9 billion) in 2020, more than four times what it was four years ago, according to market research firm Statistica.

Western Immigrant Communities Experiencing Dermatological Problems in Excess of their Home Countries

Last edited:

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Except it's not, it's actually a well noted fact by medical researchers, especially in Asia who are comparing 10 years ago to today, where numbers have sky rocketed. Thanks for your judgement of people who are clearly more intelligent then yourself, though. As if you couldn't be bothered to just google it, yet you want to judge people for not spending time in the real world lol. It's not a coincidence that major players in the industry are popping up all over the place in Japan, Korea and China. There was effectively 0 market 10+ years ago for hairloss, and it's becoming massive now. Take in the numbers of 2010 to today, where the 18-29 bracket was < 3%, compared to the last survey of ~33% in the same bracket 10 years later, and higher then those in the older age brackets. That's basically a statistical impossibility unless hairloss were more aggressive in younger people because of changing lifestyle & environmental factors.

Still not saying 100% that it is diet induced, but it's certainly a possibility.

A 2010 study from six Chinese cities found that fewer than 3% of men aged 18-29, and just over 13% of those in their 30s, experienced male pattern baldness. Earlier research from South Korea suggested that only 14.1% of the entire male population was affected, while Japanese men were found to develop male pattern baldness approximately a decade later than their European counterparts.

In 2020, a 50,000-person survey by the China Association of Health Promotion and Education reportedly found that the country's 30-somethings were going bald faster than any other group. Almost a third of respondents who were born in or after 1990 reported thinning hair, according to Chinese state media. A similar poll by Beijing's prestigious Tsinghua University reportedly found that an astonishing 60% of students had experienced some degree of hair loss.
Chinese state broadcaster CGTN went so far as to describe hair loss among the young as an "epidemic." But lifestyle changes have been accompanied by transformations in both technology and disposable income. Hair transplants are a viable solution for a growing number of men, and the Chinese market for the procedure is expected to hit 20.8 billion yuan ($2.9 billion) in 2020, more than four times what it was four years ago, according to market research firm Statistica.

Western Immigrant Communities Experiencing Dermatological Problems in Excess of their Home Countries

Wow a bunch of self-reporting anecdotal surveys more interested in finding participants perceptions rather than the reality, thats pretty rock solid stuff buddy.

This study actually did the leg work and measured hair loss and found that people in their 20s weren’t having such high rates of hair loss as the Chinese perception surveys you linked suggested.