Am I having sides from topical spironolactone?

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time "silent" reader, now I've decided to join.
It's a bit long read, but the details are important so you could help me understand if I'm having sides from topical spironolactone.

I'm 28 years old, having hairloss at temples and hairline, I started with 1mg finasteride and two applications of minoxidil a day in March 2006. finasteride almost stop all my hairloss (i would say it stopped 80-90% of hairloss), I also think that I'm a low respondent to minoxidil since I didn't see the famous shedding in the start and also didn't see any kind of regrowth of the hair i lost.
Unfortunatly for me the sexual sides were constanly increasing (erections became weaker and weaker with time, lost almost all desire to sex), and since I have a girlfriend who I love i decided to quit finasteride.

Going for topicals, I bought spironolactone 5% from Dr Lee's site, Prox-N from Dr Proctor's site, Vichy Dercos (aminexil sp94) in local store - very expensive - I'll probably switch to DNC soon - I don't yet trust them - waiting for more good results from users here, and Nizoral (I should have used that with the finasteride and min but I thought that finasteride is strong and I don't need it - a mistake!).
I started applying my topicals twice and sometimes even three times a day, first I shampoo my hair with ordinary shampoo (that claims to contain caffeine extract - but they don't detail how much strong it is and it's very cheap 4.5$ for 700ml - so I guess it's not real "treatment" shampoo), and on towel dry scalp I applied the aminexil, waited a few minutes(it dries very fast) then applied the Prox-N, waited about 20 min for it to dry too, then applied the spironolactone. As I wrote, sometimes I did this routine three times a day.

Now for the sides: As I wrote my sides from finasteride were sexual - weak erection, loss of any sexual desire and I generally felt dizzyness and kind of "foggy". About 5 days after I quit finasteride I got back almost all my sexual "appetite", erections were improving very much and I felt more "alive" (the fogginess feeling disappeared) - DHT is back into the system!.
Now here's the problem: two more weeks passed (three weeks after stoping finasteride and starting spironolactone), and I began feeling two things: pain in my chest (just behind my nipples) and sometimes weak pain in my balls. The chest pain were very frightening - I'm I having the start of gyno?
I did a blood test and my progestrone level was high above the highest level for normal men, the problem is that I can't be sure if the results are due to the finasteride that I stopped only three weeks before the test or due to the spironolactone which may have absorbed to the blood.
The blood test didn't have DHT measure - only free and total testosterone which had middle values for normal men.
The reason that I'm suspecting spironolactone is that the chest pain never happend during the finasteride use period.
Of course I read here and on HLH and found no one reporting systemic sides from topical spironolactone - I understand that topcial finasteride/dutasteride/Flutamide are known to be absorbed and influence systemically, but never heard about anyone with topical spironolactone problem. I also read that both Dr Lee and Dr Proctor are very confident that the use of topical spironolactone is safe from systemic sides.

I stopped using spironolactone a week ago and I'm using Fluridil (I read everything about it and I know there are almost no evidence from users here about it's effectivness, it's just that I have almost no choice - Fluridil is supposed to break down in water and have no antiandrogenetic effect in the blood), so far I'm using it only one week so I can't testifiy whether it's good or bad. also the chest pain havn't gone yet (one week after stopping spironolactone and starting using fluridil).

thanks again for reading!

what do you think? any comments? help from the experts? suggestions?

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Bethoven --

Can you tell me more about this pain in your chest? I've been on Dr. Lee's spironolactone cream and 5% minoxidil for quite some time now, and I've been getting chest pains recently. Mine feel like they're more in my lungs, though -- it hurts mainly when I take a deep breath.

Do you have anything like this?

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Jimmyjames,

Thanks for the reply!

The best way I can describe the pain is like someone is "pushing" on my chest.
I noticed no problems of breathing.

The two of us could be the first evidence of side effects due to systemic absorpetion of topical spironolactone.
maybe you could take hormonal blood tests? my results are that the progestrone level is too high and that the FSH level is too low, now see this link:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/sawaya2.pdf

see second page, right column, first paragraph: it says that spironolactone affects progestrone and FSH - exactly what happend to me!
I'm sure that hormoal blood test could help you understand if something is wrong due to spironolactone - I understand that you are not on finasteride so spironolactone is the only hormonal affecting drug you are on.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Beethoven --

I actually emailed Dr. Lee to see what he thought about these sides and he seemed to think Minoxidil is a more likely culprit (in my case). I wrote him a follow up email with some more questions, so I'll let you know when he gets back to me.

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I see from another conversation you're having with emo that you're pretty sure it's the minoxidil.

Anyone else? It's so weird that I'm the only one...

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
A little update (if someone cares at all...)
about week and half (or even two weeks) after quiting topical spironolactone my pains disappeared. I'm now sure it was the spironolactone and that I was on the way to gyno if I hadn't stopped.

I'm now 1 month on eucapil, no sides at all (erections ok, no pains in my chest). Effectiveness: still too early to judge, but I will update.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Beethoven said:
about week and half (or even two weeks) after quiting topical spironolactone my pains disappeared. I'm now sure it was the spironolactone and that I was on the way to gyno if I hadn't stopped.

I'm now 1 month on eucapil, no sides at all (erections ok, no pains in my chest). Effectiveness: still too early to judge, but I will update.

Gyno from topical spironolactone? I wouldnt have thought that enough could get into your bloodstream to cause this kind of problem...

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
Beethoven said:

I think it was more due to your usage of finasteride. It would take a while for finasteride to get completely out of your system. And with finasteride still being in your system, I think when adding spironolactone, it may have been a bit too much for your body to handle. I mean, your body already couldn't handle finasteride alone! Thereby, adding spironolactone, when finasteride wasnt completely gone, would cause pains that you never had before. Also, when using minoxidil as well? That's quite a bit of treatment and may likely to have been overload for your body.

That's just my theory. I really doubt spironolactone alone could pull that off.

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments friends!

Haunted-ballroom: I read in this forum stories of people who got sides from topical finasteride/dutasteride, so I guess it's also possible for spironolactone.

I read in your regimen that you quit finasteride and now you're F$$$ed, so what are you waiting for? go get something topical that fights DHT: spironolactone (I'm a very very rare case, I still advise most people to atr least try spironolactone - the good evidence from a lot of users is much stronger then my specific story), Fluridil, RU, maybe revivogen. Right now I'm starting to believe Fluridil is good.

RadioRaheem: Your theory sounds possible. One week after stoping finasteride there was big improvment in my sides (good libido, good erections, fogginess disappeared), but I remember reading that it takes a few months before the effect of long term of using finasteride is completely reversed. So it's possible that my sensitivity to spironolactone was due to my "weak" hormonal state. Right now I'm gaining confidience on Fluridil, so I'm willing to pay the high price of it - as long as it will prove effective and without sides.

Thanks again for both of you!

coolguy

Reaction score
I was on propecia some years ago, and the result was a dead dick..

I've been on topical spironolactone for 10 months now, no sides.. Maybe my erection is 90% compared to before I started spironolactone. But im also using Nizoral and st. johns wort...