Am I Balding Or Just Paranoid? Has My Hairline Receded?

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not a deficiency, a 5-AR deficiency is actually harmful and very rare. It's the number of the androgen receptors on the upper layer of the skin. When you have many of them, you will likely go bald at a earlier age, but have a beard. Whereas having a lower number of androgen receptors won't do much harm to your hair, but you won't grow a beard

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 78871 I'm a 23 year old Northern European man, and I've recently noticed many of my peers to show early signs of balding. This has gotten me paranoid about my own situation. I've always had thinner hair on the right side of my head, but at the moment it still seems like my hairline would've receded a bit on the right side, though it still looks relatively good from the frontside. Is it normal to have an uneven hairline like I do? I'm not sure if my hairline has always been like this, or if I'm just freaking out because I see so many men balding at my age. What I can say for sure is that I've always had a naturally high hairline. Balding is also really common in this part of the world, but my mothers father never lost his hair. Should I be safe with these genetics? Anyways all help will be highly appreciated.

Yes, it is COMPLETELY normal to have one temple recede more than another.

My right side is much worse than my left. In fact, for the majority of men, we will
NOT bald symmetrically. Nature didn't make hairloss like that.

You're definitely not crazy, and unfortunately, you definitely do have early stages
of hairloss.

I had worse hairloss than yours at twenty. It started receding when I was nineteen.

There's almost no question in my mind, your right temple has receded.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it is COMPLETELY normal to have one temple recede more than another.

My right side is much worse than my left. In fact, for the majority of men, we will
NOT bald symmetrically. Nature didn't make hairloss like that.

You're definitely not crazy, and unfortunately, you definitely do have early stages
of hairloss.

I had worse hairloss than yours at twenty. It started receding when I was nineteen.

There's almost no question in my mind, your right temple has receded.
Why should he have hair loss? I mean everything points to the fact that he has no male pattern baldness. A slight recession is definitely no warning signal, that could be a mature hairline.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All I want to say is that nordic should be alert, but there's absolutely no need to start any treatment yet.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Why should he have hair loss? I mean everything points to the fact that he has no male pattern baldness. A slight recession is definitely no warning signal, that could be a mature hairline.

The more I understand hairloss, the more I question the whole idea of a mature hairline.

Even if this term exists, it is overly used (as is the 'deficiency in nutrients' or 'thyroid issues' arguments). Some people *may* experience a mature hairline - where the entirety of the hairline moves approx. half an inch or so from their juvenile hairline, although the remaining hair remains thick and no density is lost. However, this is not the case here. It looks to be thinning in the temple, which is totally normal for male pattern baldness and yes this can frequently happen to one temple at a time.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The more I understand hairloss, the more I question the whole idea of a mature hairline.

Even if this term exists, it is overly used (as is the 'deficiency in nutrients' or 'thyroid issues' arguments). Some people *may* experience a mature hairline - where the entirety of the hairline moves approx. half an inch or so from their juvenile hairline, although the remaining hair remains thick and no density is lost. However, this is not the case here. It looks to be thinning in the temple, which is totally normal for male pattern baldness and yes this can frequently happen to one temple at a time.
Well, I don't think the "mature hairline" story to be a myth. Look at Cary Grant, his temples were receded during his entire career but he still had a full head of hair in his 80s.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe I don't have an eye for details, but the pics are definitely too confusing for me and I don't understand how you can firmly claim that his right temple is thinning, maybe you have more experience than me. The best thing to do is to go to a dermatologist.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also it's known that the mature hairline looks asymmetrical, however a thread about mature hairline is bar talk. We know there is some truth behind that but no scientific report about it. So when I say that mature hairlines are asymmetrical, I can't absolutely confirm this in any manner, but this would explain why his right temple looks more receded.

nordic

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe I don't have an eye for details, but the pics are definitely too confusing for me and I don't understand how you can firmly claim that his right temple is thinning, maybe you have more experience than me. The best thing to do is to go to a dermatologist.

Yes, exactly that's what I will most likely do. Even if it turns out to be nothing it will relieve my anxiety. Thanks for all the help guys.

And what do you say about there also being young women with almost the same type of hairline as I have? Don't you think that it's possible for people to have this kind of hairline naturally. It might sound like wishful thinking, but as I said I'll get it checked, but you still can't dispute the fact that some people have hairlines like this naturally. And my point was that is it normal to have an uneven hairline naturally and not due to balding.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, exactly that's what I will most likely do. Even if it turns out to be nothing it will relieve my anxiety. Thanks for all the help guys.

And what do you say about there also being young women with almost the same type of hairline as I have? Don't you think that it's possible for people to have this kind of hairline naturally. It might sound like wishful thinking, but as I said I'll get it checked, but you still can't dispute the fact that some people have hairlines like this naturally. And my point was that is it normal to have an uneven hairline naturally and not due to balding.
My mother has thinning temples and her hairline looks worse than yours. She said to me that she has always looked like that since her 20s

nordic

My Regimen
Reaction score
My mother has thinning temples and her hairline looks worse than yours. She said to me that she has always looked like that since her 20s

Yes exactly, when I started to think about this more and more, I tried to see what kind of hairlines women have since they should be "perfect", and this week at university I noticed many women in their twenties to have pretty much hairlines like this. Some women even have incredibly high hairlines naturally. My point was that it's almost like people want to see baldness/balding on this site, and everybody is diagnosed with male pattern baldness unless they have an arrow straight hairline in the middle of their forehead. I'm pretty sure you could post young female hairlines here and many of them would be diagnosed with male pattern baldness automatically. :D

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think you are balding, some recession is normal at your age. You seem to be Norwood 1.5 and that is good. I'm envious.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a NW1
Yes, a NW1.5 His temples have receded a bit so he's not a true NW1. Still got a long way to go before he hits NW2 though.

nordic

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, a NW1.5 His temples have receded a bit so he's not a true NW1. Still got a long way to go before he hits NW2 though.

The temples have been like that for at least five years, do you think that's a good sign? I mean do you think that the receding has stopped permanently? It might have been like that for even longer, but I didn't find any photos showing my hairline prior to the age of 17-18.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
The temples have been like that for at least five years, do you think that's a good sign? I mean do you think that the receding has stopped permanently? It might have been like that for even longer, but I didn't find any photos showing my hairline prior to the age of 17-18.
LOL that's wishful thinking! Once male pattern baldness has started it will eventually continue without treatment. You may stay where you are for 1 year or 10 years then the process starts again. Don't kid yourself, you wouldn't be posting on here if you weren't concerned about balding. Nonetheless you have awesome hair, and you can probably expect to keep a relatively full head of hair for decades to come. Just keep an eye on it ;)

nordic

My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL that's wishful thinking! Once male pattern baldness has started it will eventually continue without treatment. You may stay where you are for 1 year or 10 years then the process starts again. Don't kid yourself, you wouldn't be posting on here if you weren't concerned about balding. Nonetheless you have awesome hair, and you can probably expect to keep a relatively full head of hair for decades to come. Just keep an eye on it ;)

Sure, I meant that now that I started thinking about this, I can't be sure if the temples have receded or if they've always been like that. I should try to find some photos from my childhood. I mean I didn't even think about going bald until recently, when some friends started sharing their concerns, since they are balding very noticeably. That's what triggered the paranoia. Prior to this balding seemed like a very distant concept, but via my friends it came so close to me, that I realized this could also happen to me. :D hah

Anyways I should get the opinion of an expert.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sure, I meant that now that I started thinking about this, I can't be sure if the temples have receded or if they've always been like that. I should try to find some photos from my childhood. I mean I didn't even think about going bald until recently, when some friends started sharing their concerns, since they are balding very noticeably. That's what triggered the paranoia. Prior to this balding seemed like a very distant concept, but via my friends it came so close to me, that I realized this could also happen to me. :D hah

Anyways I should get the opinion of an expert.
Wise decision. Balding f*****g sucks. I'm on an extreme regimen and I'm still losing my f*****g hair :mad: What more it will take I don't know, but I'll do it anyway because I'm desperate.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
AnxiousAndy, at what Norwood is the hairline of this guy on the photo (he is a german-turkish actor)? I would say NW2, and nordic is not even close to this recession
erol-sander1280-jpg--01c8673798814457-.jpg

Last edited:

nordic

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wise decision. Balding f*****g sucks. I'm on an extreme regimen and I'm still losing my f*****g hair :mad: What more it will take I don't know, but I'll do it anyway because I'm desperate.

I'm sad to hear that, I wish you all the luck in this world with that project. It might sound very superficial, but it's almost like you're losing a part of your identity. At least I'd feel like that, since the two things that've always been very recognizable in my looks is being very tall and having really curly and thick hair which is very uncommon here. I mean if people try to describe me it's these two things...