Also losing hair..

admcsm

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am a 30 yr old woman..mother of 3, happily married, who has been losing hair for almost 2 years now. I did see a derm. I am losing hair for sure. I am at a crossroads. I don't want to use anything on my hair. I want to believe that it will grow back. Or that it will not be so bad and don't really need to use anything. I did start using Rogain recently but I forget to do the twice a day treatment and also am afraid that will do more damage. I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there right now not using anything and leaving things up to fate. I am getting depressed about the situation. I think I was fortunate in the sense that I had very thick coarse hair to begin with. So it is taking some time to see any noticable changes. But I can see it. I can definetly see it. Thanks a lot for the listening. I plan to come regulary. I would like to also be a support for those who just need someone there for them. This used to be me :hairy: and now this is me :freaked: but it's ok because even though i have days like this :( i know that i am still loved by my family and friends so i might feel a little foolish :lol: for letting this get me so down, but in the end i feel :love: just to know that I have life. Once again thank you all.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hi admcsm -

Well we can definitely be here to support you through this. Expect that people will suggest that you do something for your hair loss, but it will be your decision as to whether or not you want to, ultimately.

Rogaine won't do any more harm if you are experiencing general thinning. There are things like Tricomin spray and Folligen which can soothe the scalp if you by chance end up having irritation of some sort from the Rogaine. It can only help though.

Make sure you've had a full evaluation of what medications you're on, any recent hormonally related occurrances in your life, and various things like thyroid and other functions fully checked before you throw in the towel. There just may be an imbalance you can re-balance which will be the answer for restoring your thick hair.

HairLossTalk.com

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
admcsm,

I'm 36, with 6 children and have been losing my hair since giving birth 16 mo ago. I had such decent hair before that! But mine was always on the thin, fine side, so it has been devastating. I have probably about 50% AT best, of what I used to have. I've got an autoimmune disorder, plus PCOS, and likely more than one cause of hairloss. Because of the multiple patterns of loss, and scalp biopsy I had done, I've probably got Androgenetic Alopecia and some Telogen Effluvium.

My shedding has slowed down lately, and I have regrowth all over, but so fine and inadequate that I'm not feeling very hopeful for the results.... or that it won't just start shedding like crazy again anyways. Because of all my problems, I don't know that I can ever expect the kind of hair I used to have. I'd be happy to not go bald.... and be able to have enough hair and styling products to at least look normal.

I've decided against Rogaine for several reasons. I just feel it's the right choice for me. Although sometimes I doubt that. I'm trying to treat the underlying conditions causing this..... androgen excess, etc.... by taking medications and supplements to treat the PCOS, losing weight, managing my thyroid disorder....

I too have family that loves me. But worry how embarrassed my kids will be/are by me. I feel so ugly. I never felt I was an especially attractive person anyways. I can't wear makeup because my skin is too sensitive. Can't afford nice nails.... I'm trying to lose enough weight to distract people from my baldness with my thinness :lol:

I go for periods of time, keeping busy as a mom, where I just get through one day at a time with a fairly decent attitude. The past 2 days (getting a haircut didn't help the feelings of trauma!!!) I've felt very discouraged and down about it. Like it's all out of my control, and nothing I'm doing will likely stop it. And I worry how I will cope when it's beyond disguise. It's paperthin all over, in spite of my Androgenetic Alopecia dx.. I almost feel I could better deal with the loss being concentrated on top, but normal density elsewhere. Instead I just can't cover, style, or otherwise compensate this way.

I don't know what to do on the days I feel so down about all this. It just seems hugely unfair.. I know I otherwise have my health, a great family, wonderful children, many capabilities, and so on. I just wish the fear and panic of hairloss wasn't always with me!

teester

Reaction score
I feel the exact same way you feel. It is like I am watching my self grow old and ugly in fast forward.