Alopecia Totalis after Flu Shot Immunization

razza

Reaction score
I am a Mum to a 10year old boy who developed Alopecia last October and is now totally bald and has no eyebrows or lashes either. We noticed an eyebrow with a chunk of hair missing and then 3 weeks later big patches of hair missing from the back of his head. By January 2012 he was wearing a hat & is now completely bald. What is interesting is that the hair loss started just one week after having the flu jab as he has had a history of winter illnesses, swine flu and pneumonia, suffers from asthma exzema and verruccas all of which indicate a compromised immune system. It is my opinion that my sons' immune system, being already so low, reacted to the flu jab with this Alopecia. Has anyone else heard of this reaction? The GP and consultant could only remark that "it may have exaccerbated an underlying risk". My son is now drinking Aloe Vera, taking digestive enzymes, amino supplements and probiotics and following a food intolerance test is de toxing his gut by coming off gluten, tomatoes & a few other foods which showed up in the test. This in theory will help his gut to heal and therefore be able to help his immune system to "reboot". He is so sad and angry that doctors can't give him answers that we will try most things to give him some hope. Anyone had a similar reaction to immunisations?

skigirljesse

Reaction score
i had the same problem when i was 6 and right now when i am 11. when i was 6 i got a shot and my hair started to fall out only on my head arms and legs. i didnt lose my evelashes and eye browls though. i went to so many drs and none of them seemed to know why my hair was falling out. finally they said that it was alipesha areauta. after a year my hair completely came back in. now it is the same thing. i am 11 got 1 shot and it is falling out. only now they call it alipesha totalis. wich is overall thinning of the hair untill it is completely gone. so to answer your question yes i have the similar reaction. no one really seems to know why but i just keep hoping for it to come back. im sorry to hear that your son has it to :( tell him i said to just keep a smile on his face and it will work out :)
-Jesse :)

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You may wish to have a full immune system workup done to determine if there are certain aspects of it which have gone haywire since the flu shot.

markus

Reaction score
What you described in your post is my son to a tee. 10 years old. His Alopecia started a couple months after the flu shot. My wife sais im crazy . Did you get the shot for him again this year . My wife made my son have the shot again and i think the little bit he had is falling out. He is totally bald again. Could you give us a update. Thanks.

Dearabby1970

Reaction score
I know it is late, but me too

I am a 43 year old woman. I was diagnosed with AA at 13. I have had sporadic bald spots over the years with years in between occurences. This year, my husband and I decided to escape the brutal Canadian winter and planned to stay in Myrtle Beach, S.C. For jan, feb and march. Before we left, we decided that it was a good idea to get our flu shots. I should mention here that in July i had experienced half of my eyebrow being lost. A few days after our shots I began having shocking amounts of hair loss. Within a month of leaving home i had experienced 90% of my hair gone! I have never suffered with AU before. Here I sit now with this new condition ina foreign country. Your sons experience sounds very much like mine, and I can tell u that the timing is way too coincidental to be irrelavant. I, for one, will not be getting my flushot next year.
All the best,
penny

I am a Mum to a 10year old boy who developed Alopecia last October and is now totally bald and has no eyebrows or lashes either. We noticed an eyebrow with a chunk of hair missing and then 3 weeks later big patches of hair missing from the back of his head. By January 2012 he was wearing a hat & is now completely bald. What is interesting is that the hair loss started just one week after having the flu jab as he has had a history of winter illnesses, swine flu and pneumonia, suffers from asthma exzema and verruccas all of which indicate a compromised immune system. It is my opinion that my sons' immune system, being already so low, reacted to the flu jab with this Alopecia. Has anyone else heard of this reaction? The GP and consultant could only remark that "it may have exaccerbated an underlying risk". My son is now drinking Aloe Vera, taking digestive enzymes, amino supplements and probiotics and following a food intolerance test is de toxing his gut by coming off gluten, tomatoes & a few other foods which showed up in the test. This in theory will help his gut to heal and therefore be able to help his immune system to "reboot". He is so sad and angry that doctors can't give him answers that we will try most things to give him some hope. Anyone had a similar reaction to immunisations?

LadyPreachrt7

My Regimen
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your son. I too lost all of my hair after getting the flu shot. I was very sick for three days and on the third night the hair on my head fell out then about a week later I lost all the hair on my body. I suffer with many auto immune diseases and disorders and the belief of doctors is that the immunization was too much for my immune system and instead of developing antibodies to the flu my immune system attacked my hair follicles. You son is in my thoughts and prayers.

My son karim

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a Mum to a 10year old boy who developed Alopecia last October and is now totally bald and has no eyebrows or lashes either. We noticed an eyebrow with a chunk of hair missing and then 3 weeks later big patches of hair missing from the back of his head. By January 2012 he was wearing a hat & is now completely bald. What is interesting is that the hair loss started just one week after having the flu jab as he has had a history of winter illnesses, swine flu and pneumonia, suffers from asthma exzema and verruccas all of which indicate a compromised immune system. It is my opinion that my sons' immune system, being already so low, reacted to the flu jab with this Alopecia. Has anyone else heard of this reaction? The GP and consultant could only remark that "it may have exaccerbated an underlying risk". My son is now drinking Aloe Vera, taking digestive enzymes, amino supplements and probiotics and following a food intolerance test is de toxing his gut by coming off gluten, tomatoes & a few other foods which showed up in the test. This in theory will help his gut to heal and therefore be able to help his immune system to "reboot". He is so sad and angry that doctors can't give him answers that we will try most things to give him some hope. Anyone had a similar reaction to immunisations?[/QUOTE

I'm also mum for aboy10 years old he had the same condition of your's but from last March. But my son wann't to go out of home and refused to go the school. He feel that he the only one who had this desease and he very sad. Till now there is'nt any medicien solve this. We still have a hope to recover but when i have readed that this take more than years i'm so sad and upsate, and i cant told my son that he will be in this state for another years.

Please could tell me how i can pass my son through this