Allotransplantation

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I said this probably 8 years ago or so, that I think it is likely that science will figure out a way to make allo-transplantation (transplant from one human to another, not necessarily related -i.e, immunse system rejection issues) easier with less downtime and side effects before scientists discover how to grow de-novo hair or regrow existing follicles. Mark my word on this. It is a less romantic way to regain a full head of hair, but at least it is quite straightforward once the immune system issues have been figured out.

I have seen recent research showing that a short-lived immune supression could be enough[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]. I also saw this recent study showing that an old cancer drug (with no majjor side effects) can do the trick (after a short treatment).

[/FONT]http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265440.php

Nightwing

Reaction score
It makes me mad that every other stupid thread has ten million replies and when there is something interesting or new to look at nobody will comment. This is good stuff.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree and have gotten used to the obsession there is on hair loss forums. I also think it is counterproductive, people got obsessed with the PGD2 theory but dropped it within few months just because it did not regrow hair in weeks. There is very little diversification of knowledge too. Now everyone is obsessed with dermarolling, in few months it would die and god knows what will replace it. Someone else will pick it up in 2 years and the whole thing will start again.

Anyhow, I think IF a drug such as the one I cited above or other becomes approved and common practice I think many would be willing to donate hair for the right price. The question is about texture, but that I think could be matched closely but not prefectly.

I think experimentation will start in emerging markets not the US, once these immuno suppressants become available.

For one, I would definitely, with no hesitation, go on immuno-suppression for 3 months, if I know it is very safe (conditional on me following the doctors' recommendation) to have a full head of hair and forget about this for the rest of my life.

- - - Updated - - -

Having said that, it is a LONG way before it comes safe and a matter of few pills. I just think that it will likely take EVEN LONGER for us to cure this sh*t. A top doctor I spoke with told me, 20+ years minimum for de-novo hair, I HOPE he is wrong.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
novo hair in 20 years? too soon in my opinion. Before create a new hair, we could make hearts, kydneys,... even brains easily

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
Who the HELL would volunteer to "donate" there hair??? C'mon guys, gimme a break

I would beat the Crap out of my brother till he did, I dont care if he is bald

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You must be kidding me, there are people who donate their kidneys for money (this is really contensious due to health consequences) ... They are 100 millions of people with extremely thick hair (in india and pakistan, afhganistan alone) and If I was them I wouldn t mind to make 10 or 20K to go through a simple surgery with no side effects and no consequences on my look either. You take 5,000 from someone who has 15000+ follicles of thick hair, barely noticeable.. I had a friend complained he had too much hair, can't get to massage his own scalp.

money can go a long way and this is not really contentious like kidney.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are studies about growth of hair with immunossupresors, but all of them with labs animals (body hair) and it is possible that scalp human hair acts different from body hair

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2927078
Lab Invest. 1989 Mar;60(3):365-9.
The induction of anagen hair growth in telogen mouse skin by cyclosporine A administration.
Paus R, Stenn KS, Link RE.
Author information
Abstract
One clinical complication of immunosuppressive cyclosporine A (CsA) therapy is the stimulation of hair growth. Since few pharmacologic agents cause hypertrichosis, CsA appears particularly interesting for investigating the mechanisms which control normal hair formation. Previous investigators have shown that CsA affects the hair growth of the laboratory rat, several genetic variants of mice, as well as humans, and they have concluded that CsA influences keratinization predominantly. Using a well-defined in vivo assay which measures the induction of hair follicle growth, we report here that CsA induces resting (telogen) follicles to enter active growth (anagen) in normal laboratory mice (C57 B1-6), i.e., animals with a normal hair cycle. The experiments indicate that the rate of anagen induction is dependent on the dose, time course, and method of administration and that it may be mediated via a direct action of CsA on the skin and its appendages. These studies suggest that understanding the molecular mechanisms of CsA action on hair growth will help elucidate the mechanisms of normal anagen induction.
PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8565246
Clin Exp Dermatol. 1995 Mar;20(2):127-31.
Oral cyclosporin A restores hair growth in the DEBR rat model for alopecia areata.
Oliver RF, Lowe JG.
Author information
Abstract
The Dundee experimental bald rat (DEBR) undergoes hair loss associated with the development of peri- and intrafollicular mononuclear cell infiltrates, as occurs in human alopecia areata. We studied the effect of orally administered cyclosporin A (10 mg/kg; 5 days/week for 7 weeks) on established lesional DEBR rats displaying extensive areas of hair loss. New hairs appeared after 10 days and there was simultaneous regrowth of hair over the whole body with restoration of a full pelt by 5 weeks. Semiquantitative histological examination of flank skin biopsies revealed early reduction of the cellular infiltrate associated with conversion of dystrophic anagen follicles to normal, hair-producing follicles. These results confirm the value of the DEBR model of alopecia areata in evaluating existing and new therapies for this disease in humans.
PMID:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7537082
J Dermatol Sci. 1995 Jan;9(1):64-9.
Effects of immunosuppressive peptidyl-prolyl cis-trans isomerase (PPIase) inhibitors, cyclosporin A, FK506, ascomycin and rapamycin, on hair growth initiation in mouse: immunosuppression is not required for new hair growth.
Iwabuchi T, Maruyama T, Sei Y, Adachi K.
Author information
Abstract
The effects of immunosuppressive peptidyl-prolyl cis-trans isomerase (PPIase) inhibitors, cyclosporin A, FK506, ascomycin and rapamycin, on hair growth initiation (anagen hair induction) in mouse were studied by topical application on the dorsal skin surface during the telogen phase of the hair cycle. Single applications of cyclosporin A and FK506 (10 to 100 nmol in 5 microliters of ethanol) induced new hair growth in 12 days within the restricted area where the compounds were applied. On the other hand, ascomycin and rapamycin did not initiate new anagen hairs even at higher doses (1 mumol in 5 to 10 microliters of ethanol). The effects of simultaneous application of the immunosuppressants were also tested by a single topical application. Ascomycin did not inhibit the anagen hair induction by cyclosporin A, but inhibited hair induction by FK506. Rapamycin inhibited new hair growth induced by cyclosporin A and FK506. These results suggest that the inhibition of PPIase is not required for the initiation of a new hair cycle in mice, and that anagen hair induction caused by cyclosporin A and FK506 is not a result of immunosuppression. The present results also indicate that a single application of an adequate quantity of cyclosporin A and FK506 is sufficient to initiate new hair growth.
PMID:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7535825
J Invest Dermatol. 1995 Apr;104(4):523-5.
Induction of anagen in telogen mouse skin by topical application of FK506, a potent immunosuppressant.
Jiang H, Yamamoto S, Kato R.
Author information
Abstract
The effect of topical application of FK506 on the normal hair cycle of C57BL/6J mice was investigated. When telogen mice (7 weeks of age) were treated topically with 1 mumol FK506 on days 0 and 3, 50% of the tested mice entered anagen by day 9 and 100% by day 16. With 0.1 mumol of FK506, 50% of the tested mice entered anagen by day 13 and 80% by day 19, indicating that the effect of FK506 is dose dependent. In control mice, a spontaneous shift from telogen to anagen started on day 14, and 30% of the control animals were in anagen at day 19. Histologic studies revealed that FK506 markedly stimulated the skin and thickened it. The depth and size of hair follicles were also markedly increased in FK506-treated skin compared to control skin. The data on hair growth also support the contention that FK506 induces early onset of anagen and stimulates hair growth. The hair growth stimulated by FK506 looked normal and the hairs were of normal length. The hair growth was restricted to the site of application. These results clearly demonstrate that topical application of FK506 induces anagen hair growth in telogen mouse skin and indicate that the hair-growth-stimulating effect of FK506 is due at least in part to its promoting effect on the hair cycle.
PMID:

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's not a good idea, so is messing with your hormones forever. My point was that allotransplantation might not need immunosupression for more than few days in the future, with the right drugs. IN THE FUTURE. no such treatment is available today.

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's not a good idea, so is messing with your hormones forever. My point was that allotransplantation might not need immunosupression for more than few days in the future, with the right drugs. IN THE FUTURE. no such treatment is available today.

definately agree with the hormone comment, Interesting concept and hopefully being looked at, although it would be looked at for other reasons than hairloss, hairloss isn't important:doh: