allogeneic hair transplant: is this a breakthrough?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Day dreamed about this years ago, can it become a reality beyond mice? Apparently there is a fix to the immune response.
Just gave it a cursory look. Not sure if it has been discussed on here

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I did not see it being published however ...

resu

Reaction score
Would work in theory well for people with black hair, the rest would have to start liking the idea of having to dye the hair every other week if this method actually works.

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would work in theory well for people with black hair, the rest would have to start liking the idea of having to dye the hair every other week if this method actually works.
would be real awkward if the transplanted hair didn't gray at the same rate. lol image just having gray temples but colored everything else

i don't think it would be too bad to have a few darker or lighter hairs though. Unless its a blonde to black it won't be that noticeable

Shush

My Regimen
Reaction score
I genuinely think this is some major breakthrough people been sleeping on.
It's not about taking hair from other people and trasplant them into your bald head, it's about cloning hair of every colour and thickness and create hair farms, so that you don't have to get your own hair trasplanted, but you can possibly just enter the clinic and get hair that match your colour and thickness without risks of rejection. It would be mass production of hair, and it would lower incredibly the costs because of the standardization of the procedure. We "just" need the cloning techonlogy. And I remember this is also something terkshish talked about pointing out this would be the ultimate goal

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not about taking hair from other people and trasplant them into your bald head, it's about cloning hair of every colour and thickness and create hair farms, so that you don't have to get your own hair trasplanted, but you can possibly just enter the clinic and get hair that match your colour and thickness without risks of rejection. It would be mass production of hair, and it would lower incredibly the costs because of the standardization of the procedure. We "just" need the cloning techonlogy. And I remember this is also something terkshish talked about pointing out this would be the ultimate goal

we don't just need the cloning technology, we need to know how to avoid the human immune system to rejection a foreign object/organ, that is something they still battle with within organ transplants. And the way to overcome this is with immune suppression medication, and that is already with a fairly matched doner person.

Its a very ambitious goal to have, to overcome this immune system problem and then transplant some foreign hair into someones scalp. I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon. I don't even think we have anyone being able to overcome this with some generic organs out of the lab put into humans.

I know there are some who have "flushed"/total transfused now blood into another person and then cured them for HIV or AIDS (what it was) but there is still a long way for a new organ to get integrated into the new body from a doner.

jazz1

Reaction score
Awesome.

Shush

My Regimen
Reaction score
we don't just need the cloning technology, we need to know how to avoid the human immune system to rejection a foreign object/organ, that is something they still battle with within organ transplants. And the way to overcome this is with immune suppression medication, and that is already with a fairly matched doner person.

Its a very ambitious goal to have, to overcome this immune system problem and then transplant some foreign hair into someones scalp. I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon. I don't even think we have anyone being able to overcome this with some generic organs out of the lab put into humans.

I know there are some who have "flushed"/total transfused now blood into another person and then cured them for HIV or AIDS (what it was) but there is still a long way for a new organ to get integrated into the new body from a doner.
Hey man I was just referring to what the arcticle says, I am not a scientist myself. If they say they solved the rejection issue, I like to believe they really did solve it :)

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

This never posed a problem for them to begin with. When they clone hairs they aren't cloning the cells that get attacked by the immune system. They even mention this in the article OP posted.

According to the team, hair follicles are independent organs present in the skin and have an “immune privilege” that is relatively free from immune rejection. As the brain and cornea also have this privilege, the team could reproduce the same state of hair follicles that existed in people’s bodies by removing the donor dendritic cells involved in direct antigen presentation.

This "breakthrough" is useless to anyone who doesn't want mismatched hair from a drug addict or a dying man

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man I was just referring to what the arcticle says, I am not a scientist myself. If they say they solved the rejection issue, I like to believe they really did solve it :)

I believe it when they do a proof of concept in humans, and not mice.

Many scientist have claimed a lot on mice, and had a have time to follow through on humans.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score

Yes but by the time it's possible we'll be either dead or too old. And no, I don't care about future baldies. I'm egoist

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is pretty cool.

Unfortunately cloning is years and years and YEARS away.

To me this seems more feasible than cloning.