All 5mg Oral Minoxidil Users, Please Read

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience, it seemed to make my hair worse. But before switching to oral, I tried the foam and it didn't cause as bad of flaking. Eventually I wanted something stronger, and also more convenient, so oral was a no brainer for me. It's basically cured my shedding and my hair is so much thicker and healthier. As far as sides, I believe it's something that you can adapt to for the most part. I got some palpitations, maybe once or twice a day, because I was trying to do 10mg after only a few weeks on 2.5mg. So I dropped back down, then gradually increased my dosages, and now I can do 10mg twice a day, and I only get palpitations or lightheadedness for a few minutes 2-3 times a week. This is a very large dose though. I never got sides from 2.5-5mg per day. My goal is to get regrowth off these high dosages for maybe a year or so, then drop back down for maintenance. Oral has been great for me, and I wouldn't mind using something like 2.5mg a day for maintenance the rest of my life. But everyone is different. Some people can't risk the side effects on the circulatory system. Regardless, PG is something I will never use on my scalp ever again. I suppose one could get minoxidil powder and mix it in KB. At something like 15% that may be just as good as a low dose oral.

thanks bro, i have been on topical min for 6 years on whole scalp and dutasteride with no result.And since 2 years the topical is giing me layer of build up causing inflammation / shedding, so i have to switch but i am afraid to make the switch. Because i used huge dosis of topical ( upped to 6-7 ml sometimes) and on whole scalp. Can i switch cold turkey?
What is more efficient between ;
* 1.25 mg oral minoxidil
* 5 ml topical 5% daily
will i get hypertrichosis / dark circle/ water retention / weight gain / puffy eyelid from 1.25 mg oral? thanks

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks bro, i have been on topical min for 6 years on whole scalp and dutasteride with no result.And since 2 years the topical is giing me layer of build up causing inflammation / shedding, so i have to switch but i am afraid to make the switch. Because i used huge dosis of topical ( upped to 6-7 ml sometimes) and on whole scalp. Can i switch cold turkey?
What is more efficient between ;
* 1.25 mg oral minoxidil
* 5 ml topical 5% daily
will i get hypertrichosis / dark circle/ water retention / weight gain / puffy eyelid from 1.25 mg oral? thanks
I switched cold turkey and saw nothing but benefits, though, I did use high doses to start. From what I have read, it is probably best to do a "loading phase" to avoid a shed. The lower the dose you start with, the more likely you are to have a shed during the transition. It depends on how bad of a shedder you are, but I would probably go with 5mg for a few weeks. Then gradually back down.

I have heard that even 2.5mg is stronger than 10% minoxidil, so I would say that 1.25mg is going to be somewhere around 5% topical. The difference is that the oral will affect all of your hair, which I see as desirable for anyone (particularly advantageous if you have large loss or diffuse). Obviously the other advantage of the oral version is that you will have a healthier scalp without the PG messing with it as in the topical version.

You will likely have some side effects at 5mg, though it may not be all that noticeable. Most people don't get any at 2.5mg. You will almost certainly have some at 10mg. The more physically active I am, the less sides I have (exercise will burn the "water weight"). Everyone is different though. All this said, I don't think most people would have sides from 1.25mg. But if you're doing a loading phase to avoid a shed, you may have to deal with some for a few weeks. I've found that the sides are also something you can adapt to. I can do 10mg a day with minimal sides now since I've been on it for several months.

Alternatively, I'm not sure how pricey it would be, but you could also get minoxidil powder and mix it in a vehicle that doesn't contain PG, like KB. However, with such large doses that you use, it may be better for you to use oral. Just depends on how you respond and what you can afford.

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience, it seemed to make my hair worse. But before switching to oral, I tried the foam and it didn't cause as bad of flaking. Eventually I wanted something stronger, and also more convenient, so oral was a no brainer for me. It's basically cured my shedding and my hair is so much thicker and healthier. As far as sides, I believe it's something that you can adapt to for the most part. I got some palpitations, maybe once or twice a day, because I was trying to do 10mg after only a few weeks on 2.5mg. So I dropped back down, then gradually increased my dosages, and now I can do 10mg twice a day, and I only get palpitations or lightheadedness for a few minutes 2-3 times a week. This is a very large dose though. I never got sides from 2.5-5mg per day. My goal is to get regrowth off these high dosages for maybe a year or so, then drop back down for maintenance. Oral has been great for me, and I wouldn't mind using something like 2.5mg a day for maintenance the rest of my life. But everyone is different. Some people can't risk the side effects on the circulatory system. Regardless, PG is something I will never use on my scalp ever again. I suppose one could get minoxidil powder and mix it in KB. At something like 15% that may be just as good as a low dose oral.

Hello
Where you experience more regrowth? front or crown? i am at 5mg thinking in taking 10mg
thanks

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks man. I have diffuse and the PG caused me even worse thinning.... I am afraid of weight gain from the oral version too.

devaneios

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been taking it for 1,5 year and it ruined my face. It looks like my face aged 10 years in this time frame; very deep nasolabial lines emerged and completely destroyed my aesthetics - yeah, I'm sure it wasn't there before; in fact, I started in a new job at the same week I started with minoxidil and had many people there shocked when I said I was 26, because I looked 18 or so; I listened to things like that all my adult life. It made wonders for my hair; my hairline is better now than in my teens and it gained a lot of thickness, but for what price?

Yes, I've been using sunscreen and taking care of myself all this time(don't drink or smoke and eat decently). I quit that sh*t three days ago and I hope at least some improvement, although I really doubt I'll get rid of those horrible fine line on the side of my nose. Unfortunately, I was too marveled with the gains on my hair to accept this sh*t was destroying my face and being a (massive)downgrade on my overall look.

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been taking it for 1,5 year and it ruined my face. It looks like my face aged 10 years in this time frame; very deep nasolabial lines emerged and completely destroyed my aesthetics - yeah, I'm sure it wasn't there before; in fact, I started in a new job at the same week I started with minoxidil and had many people there shocked when I said I was 26, because I looked 18 or so; I listened to things like that all my adult life. It made wonders for my hair; my hairline is better now than in my teens and it gained a lot of thickness, but for what price?

Yes, I've been using sunscreen and taking care of myself all this time(don't drink or smoke and eat decently). I quit that sh*t three days ago and I hope at least some improvement, although I really doubt I'll get rid of those horrible fine line on the side of my nose. Unfortunately, I was too marveled with the gains on my hair to accept this sh*t was destroying my face and being a (massive)downgrade on my overall look.
Really....damn dude... double edged sword. What was your dosage? And how often once or twice a day??? I used 15 to 20mg a day for 5 months didnt do sh*t just less shedding and made me sh*t blood.

devaneios

My Regimen
Reaction score
I probably shouldnt jump back on it and just stick to RU.
If you used it for 5 months and didn't see any signals on your face(especially on the dosages you mentioned), you're probably fine(at least regarding aging). My face got fucked up very soon; I had friends saying that I looked way older 2-3 months after started taking mino.