After Starting finasteride Did Anyone's Hair Get Worse Before It Got Better?

Stereo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't mean just a minor shed but a big shed that receded your hairline further.
Thank you for answers.

Wakakuu

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started mid december last year, with both finasteride and keto, i have had nothing but a long shed which includes recession in my hairline and thinning of the whole top, as expected, but still as worrisome. Im keeping to schedule and will continue until ive reached one year, as everyone biting the finasteride-bullet should do. At the time i will revaluate, to continue, stop, or mix on more stuff such as minoxidil. I have from the start planned to do a transplant in the future, i have recession in the temple points and these are tougher if not impossible to recover by medication, making this the only option.

Stereo - Where you at? Started with finasteride or thinking about it?

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes many people do. A lot of people experience a shed then regrowth. This doesn't mean you will, but it is possible. I experienced a huge shed like 3-4 months in, and continued to lose hair even 2.5 years on the drug. People always say, and convinced me when my shedding started, that shedding is always a good thing. This is complete and total bs. Shedding does not indicate you are responding well.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When I get on finasteride, every time, it just stops my hair loss, usually on its tracks. It happens within 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately this is all finasteride does for me, just stops it. Never seen sheds, regrowth, or visible thickening. Minoxidil does give me thickening and regrowth of a lot of little vellus hairs, that from my experience, stay as just vellus hairs for me.

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil shed? Hell yeah.
Finasteride? Not really.

Hair keeps getting better, 8 months minoxidil, 4 months finasteride. I could easily live with the head of hair I have atm. But it seems that's still improving.

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm now on month 4 with finasteride.

Still 0 side effects but also 0 effects on my hairs.

Stereo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started mid december last year, with both finasteride and keto, i have had nothing but a long shed which includes recession in my hairline and thinning of the whole top, as expected, but still as worrisome. Im keeping to schedule and will continue until ive reached one year, as everyone biting the finasteride-bullet should do. At the time i will revaluate, to continue, stop, or mix on more stuff such as minoxidil. I have from the start planned to do a transplant in the future, i have recession in the temple points and these are tougher if not impossible to recover by medication, making this the only option.

Stereo - Where you at? Started with finasteride or thinking about it?
4 months in and shedding for the past 3
My hair is waay worse than when i first started.

Vindiesel11

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did anyone who lost his hairline on propecia first regrowth it back at around the year mark or a couple months longer ?

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair went from good density with minimal shedding before Finasteride, to progressive shedding and thinning after. By the time I reached my two and half year mark I could see my scalp and said f*** this stuff and quit. Believe it or not, my shedding stopped a several months after. Went on Dutasteride and recovered almost all of it. I also needed a transplant to recover temporal hairs that I rapidly lost while on it. I guess I wasn't a responder, boy did I learn the hard way.

You didn't/couldn't recover temporal hairs with Oestradiol?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair went from good density with minimal shedding before Finasteride, to progressive shedding and thinning after. By the time I reached my two and half year mark I could see my scalp and said f*** this stuff and quit. Believe it or not, my shedding stopped a several months after. Went on Dutasteride and recovered almost all of it. I also needed a transplant to recover temporal hairs that I rapidly lost while on it. I guess I wasn't a responder, boy did I learn the hard way.
Before I start I know you're a woman :p Anyway, so finasteride made things worse but dutasteride helped you? I was on finasteride for a whole year and lost a fair bit of my hairline, too scared to touch dutasteride because of this. On only oral minoxidil right now from which I had initial success but since dropping finasteride or switching brands I've been shedding for a month and a half and lost my regrowth.. What do you think is going on?