After a week on finasteride, possible side effect?

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
I started taking Propecia on the 8th of this month, since then i begun a type of log or diary, just writing down if i've noticed any change. Some 7-9 days after taking 1mg of finasteride each day, i safely concluded that my erections were not the same as before. Thing is, before finasteride, i could easily get one if i really wanted to, now it takes a longer time and when i do get there, it's rather easy for me to lose it (it also definitely doesn't have the same 'strength' as before). Some 15 days later, i've also noticed that my semen has slightly changed too, it seems that 50% of it is the same thick type of semen, while the other half is more watery (than before), as opposed to before where some 80% of it would be more thick/dense. I can't exactly comment on my libido, since before starting propecia, i already had a low libido and usually have as far as i can remember.

I've questioned the possibility that this all may be in my head, but i've compared the differences i've noticed, and it adds up.

I'm just wondering whether this is 'normal'? What are other people's experience with 1mg of finasteride and side effects? As in, do people usually experience them sooner rather than later? I'm considering halfing my dose (i was going to start out this way but decided not to), yet i'm not so sure still.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
That can be a side effect from finasteride. I have experienced it myself. When I did take half a dose of Propecia it helped lower the incidence but I still take a full dose.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
^^With the full dose, how long have you been on it, and has the side effect persisted?

A moment ago i was very near to just cutting up all my pills into halves, but i was just basing that off my emotions, and that's not the way to go about with such medication. Then again it is my health that i'm talking about, yet taking a rational minded approach is the proper one i'd say, and i think for now i'll stay with the 1mg, see a doctor in a few days and get his advice.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I think this is my 4th year on it. I have read the sides really subside by the 5th year. I still have the sides but they are subtle. Honestly, if you really have a clear mind and don't think about the sides, you will be better off. The power of the mind is very strong and you can achieve anything if you have the right positive thoughts.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dr House.

@Joe-91, you're right, it's not ok to have your libido taken away or having weak erections, if it persists i may just lower my dose. But do you think you'll see any improvement with 0.5mg every 3rd day?

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
Fair enough then.

Anyhow i figured that since i am experiencing some sort of side effect this early on, it must mean that the drug is working at least..