Affordable Places To Get A System In The New York/new Jersey Area

yung recession

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most places I try to inquire to get a hair system from around me want to charge around $1000 for a system and installation, when I look online for systems they’re like $250, so I’m assuming cutting in and bonding a system shouldn’t cost like $750, the $600 range seems reasonable for getting a system and getting it cut in, no?

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I live in Upstate New York and I have not even bothered going to a salon or professional company. Since the quarantine, I have been doing everything DIY. If you choose to go that route, buy a piece from an online retailer and do the process yourself. I learned most of it through YouTube videos and members on this forum. I also bought a 5$ book from Curtis on Youtube (HairbyME) which outlined all the tools you need.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
that's the price range. I did not want to spend that much for a solution I wasn't sure I was going to like, so went with DIY with the help of a salon that also wanted to experience mens hairsystems, so it was a win win solution. I found the salon in a want add website ( kijiji) where she wanted a model to experience. Turned out I had done more research and was more knowledgeable. She ended up no doing the mens hair replacement, but I continued on my own. the only think I wasn't confortable with was the cuttin , so I used a regular barber but specified that it was a hairpiece and that it needed a certain cuting technique, using point cut or razor cut. Iinstalled piece on my own, the put a cap and went in to barber shop. TIP: the shortest lenght of hair ( edge of piece which joins your bio hair) to be at least one inch, allowing blending. first time the barber did a skin fade and side of piece was about 1/4 inch which didnt give much wiggle room for camouflage, also , with such short hair, re-applying piece to exact position become harder as any gap between piece and biohair shows..
anyways, if you are a bit handy and manual, I am sure you can do it on your own. note that some suppliers offer a cuttin service

HairleyDavidson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am looking myself - a good system will last 5-7 months take that into account when you consider the cost !

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are a handful of places in NJ that are cheaper. Can't speak to the results myself but I had a few consultations I felt good about, PM me for details. I pay 1000 per system as well in NYC right now, but the result is excellent. I just got my first online piece today, from Northwest Lace for $180. Looking for a cut-in provider in the area. Keep me posted if you find anything, I will do the same

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
That is not unusual for a salon in NYC to charge. Understand the hours they are investing. $250 is not what you will pay for the system, either.

Also, think of what a haircut in Manhattan costs, and then multiply that by the amount of time it takes from walking in the door the first time, until you walk out on the second appointment with it styled, on your head. Initial consult can be 1-2 hours, including making the template, etc. Cut in, etc can also be 1-2 hours.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i live in NJ. You wont get anything for under a 1000. I get my pieces online now and send to get cut and cut my bio hair myself. I wear a very short style and could probably cut the piece as well, but I dislike doing it.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is not unusual for a salon in NYC to charge. Understand the hours they are investing. $250 is not what you will pay for the system, either.

Also, think of what a haircut in Manhattan costs, and then multiply that by the amount of time it takes from walking in the door the first time, until you walk out on the second appointment with it styled, on your head. Initial consult can be 1-2 hours, including making the template, etc. Cut in, etc can also be 1-2 hours.

Sorry for reviving this thread but...

I'm just curious, is $50.00 a reasonable price for getting a cut-in? I just found someone who has some experience with hairsystems that is willing to cut my already attached hair system?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for reviving this thread but...

I'm just curious, is $50.00 a reasonable price for getting a cut-in? I just found someone who has some experience with hairsystems that is willing to cut my already attached hair system?

It's not unreasonable.