Advice Re: Dutasteride And Ongoing Thinning

Powerglide

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on dutasteride for about 4 months after having ongoing loss on finasteride for about 16 months. I've noted continued loss while on dutasteride, particularly around the hair line. For those of you who have taken dutasteride, would you advise stopping or waiting it out to see if things will thicken up? I don't think I'd go longer than 7-8 months, as from the available literature and anecdotal evidence from online forums, most people who are going to have a positive response see the benefit within the first 6 months.

I can't say I've noticed a prominent shed (i.e not losing any more hairs in the shower/when combing my hair than usual). I did bridge onto dutasteride with finasteride for 2.5 months. Apologies for the lack of pictures as I don't feel comfortable posting them online.

I've previously tried topical min, topical finasteride, oral finasteride, and derma rolling without success. Currently using nizoral once/week (more frequent nizoral didn't really help). Not sure what options remain other than transplant in the future.

As a note, this thread is not intended to deter people from trying dutasteride. Based on the literature available, the majority of people should see maintenance or improvement of their hair density on dutasteride.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I've been on dutasteride for about 4 months after having ongoing loss on finasteride for about 16 months. I've noted continued loss while on dutasteride, particularly around the hair line. For those of you who have taken dutasteride, would you advise stopping or waiting it out to see if things will thicken up? I don't think I'd go longer than 7-8 months, as from the available literature and anecdotal evidence from online forums, most people who are going to have a positive response see the benefit within the first 6 months.

I can't say I've noticed a prominent shed (i.e not losing any more hairs in the shower/when combing my hair than usual). I did bridge onto dutasteride with finasteride for 2.5 months. Apologies for the lack of pictures as I don't feel comfortable posting them online.

I've previously tried topical min, topical finasteride, oral finasteride, and derma rolling without success. Currently using nizoral once/week (more frequent nizoral didn't really help). Not sure what options remain other than transplant in the future.

As a note, this thread is not intended to deter people from trying dutasteride. Based on the literature available, the majority of people should see maintenance or improvement of their hair density on dutasteride.
I think as long as you don't have more sides on dutasteride than you did on finasteride, I would keep on it for at least a few more months. Just remember if you are still losing on these medications, it could mean you just are not a great responder or your genetics just overpower the medication which is actually saying you are not a great responder. If you feel comfortable PM'ing photos of your hair(cut off your face), I could give you an honest opinion if want. I felt I lost more at the hairline when I was on dutasteride but I also had more sides too.

CombinationOfWords

My Regimen
Reaction score

Very similar situation here. Started dutasteride in January and also bridged with finasteride for 2 months. After getting ball ache I reduced my schedule to dutasteride twice a week.

I also have no obvious change in hairloss, maybe it increased a bit. But since my hair is longer now and I spend more time at home, therefore able to comb my hair out 3 times a day, It seems like an increase.

I am also very desperate, I cannot tell a difference between my pics from 3 years ago, except for very minor ones maybe. But it doesn‘t make sense that I lose 40 hairs a day only in my hairline, and all that while being on Dutasteride. I am 22 years old, if dutasteride doesn‘t work at some point all my hope of living a normal life will be gone.

I wish one could find out if the hairloss is shedding of hair that will regrow, or not.

So yeah, OP, same situation and questions here. How can it be that this drug still won‘t help us. Basically risking your fertility for hair still isn‘t enough...

cyrusthegreat@hotmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
I'ts a tough call @Powerglide. I've been on 0.5 mg dutasteride MWF for 1 year now and without a doubt my hairloss has increased compared to periods before I started dutasteride. The same sh*t happened to me when I used propecia.
I'm trying to figure out if I should increase dutasteride to every day or just give it up.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's probably best to stick to dutasteride daily or at least every other day but you may need to add RU (50mg per day in 1ml of stemoxidine) at the hair line in addition. In my experience dutasteride is more effective than finasteride at the crown but not much better at the front. This combination is probably your best shot at maintaining if finasteride doesn't cut it any more, for my money is seems like the 'step up' as just switching to dutasteride alone was incomplete for me. Also definitely add minoxidil foam (more effective than liquid) anyone that isn't using that already- i had regrowth with it. Definitely wouldn't recommend switching back from dutasteride to finasteride unless you're SURE it's less effective. When i did this i went NW2- 3 in just a few months...

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
its funny. I dont or at least rarely read success stories with avodart.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
its funny. I dont or at least rarely read success stories with avodart.
I think that's mostly because people generally only take it when finasteride fails- I'm sure there would be if people started on dutasteride. I think the problem is that we expect it to be the next step when finasteride fails but in reality it's only more effective at the crown. Unfortunately websites like 'hairlosscure2020' make it out to be some miracle cure that everyone gets regrowth on. It actually almost parallels finasteride for many people, which is probably why Glaxo never bothered to market it for hair loss

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that's mostly because people generally only take it when finasteride fails- I'm sure there would be if people started on dutasteride. I think the problem is that we expect it to be the next step when finasteride fails but in reality it's only more effective at the crown. Unfortunately websites like 'hairlosscure2020' make it out to be some miracle cure that everyone gets regrowth on. It actually almost parallels finasteride for many people, which is probably why Glaxo never bothered to market it for hair loss
thats kind of where im at. I take 3duts a week/+ micro dosing finasteride the off days. slowly weaning off finasteride. I will ingest until wheels fall off and wont elevate intake or add anything else.

My dr. wont do more that 4 days a week for dutasteride and even thats something he doesnt really want to do. 3 seems to be his max. His old partner was really liberal about prescribing dutasteride years ago and now (current dr) had to go in a lessen for patients. we shall see.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thats kind of where im at. I take 3duts a week/+ micro dosing finasteride the off days. slowly weaning off finasteride. I will ingest until wheels fall off and wont elevate intake or add anything else.

My dr. wont do more that 4 days a week for dutasteride and even thats something he doesnt really want to do. 3 seems to be his max. His old partner was really liberal about prescribing dutasteride years ago and now (current dr) had to go in a lessen for patients. we shall see.
That's interesting- did your derm say why he doesn't prescribe it more than 3/4 days? Mine is incredibly cautious and seems to have no problem prescribing it for every day. He isn't particularly good though tbh...

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's interesting- did your derm say why he doesn't prescribe it more than 3/4 days? Mine is incredibly cautious and seems to have no problem prescribing it for every day. He isn't particularly good though tbh...
I will ask him that directly, but through our process he really wanted to monitor sides and if there would be any. 20+ years on finasteride no sides, but jumping to dutasteride he went over everything with me.

He initially put me on 1 dutasteride per week for a month and wanted me to up to 2per after. I waited 4 months b4 jumping to 2 because my shed was gnarly for first 6 weeks.

Did 2per for 4 months and nothing.

Before jumping to 3per week he had me come in and talk to him about sides if any and he wanted me to wean off of finasteride. 5/15/20 will be exactly 2 months on 3 per week with smaller doses of finasteride and i will say i dont have an itch any more or at least far less. Dont know if Im still losing or if its stopped which is probably a decent sign. will give this 4 months total and see if 4per week is in the cards or if I just roll with what I have.

Powerglide

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately, I reached the 6 month mark and noticed a slight improvement in my vertex but worsening frontal thinning particularly at the temples. Frustrating result to say the least.

I've now stopped the dutasteride and started RU (been about 1.5 weeks). I plan to give all of the previous treatments that I failed with in the past another shot in the hopes that potential synergistic effect may give results.
Plan is for RU once daily (~80 mg), Minoxidil 2x/d, Dermarolling 1-1.5 mm once weekly/biweekly.
Unsure if I should re-start Finasteride in addition to the above. It hasn't given me results before (even when using with minoxidil/dermarolling), but I'm worried about leaving DHT unchecked without 5αr inhibition, despite addition of androgen receptor antagonist. May add topical azealic acid as well for what it's worth.

Anyways, that's where I'm at. Thanks again for the advice.