advice please! (pictures included) *5 year update*

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
in terms of blocking dht without finasteride, what would you all recommend?
not sure about spironolactone it seems a bit untried and risky?

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: advice please! (pictures included)

wagwan.

its me again im back came to check up on my old photos.

im 20 now, pics were taken at 17 and im pleased to report that my hairline doesnt seem to have got much worse over those 2/3 years.

i stopped rogaine after a year cos it wasnt doing anything and it stank. then went on dodgy internet finasteride and been on boots version for a just under a year i think.

just thought i should update the story i will try post more pics soon and we can compare them!

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: advice please! (pictures included)

Hello...

I started this thread almost exactly 5 years ago (wow, when I think about it that is crazy)

Since starting this thread I stopped using rogaine about 6-9 months after I started. This was becuase I couldn't see any visible results, I was sick of keeping it hidden on top of my bathroom cabinet at uni AND i was spending alot of time with a girl and she could smell and see weird crap on my hair. Also couldn't exactly keep popping home to apply it before we went to bed.

I started my war on hairloss in May '07. By Sep '07 I believe I was ordering Finesteride (SP?) from United Pharmacies website and some other slighly dodgy online pharmacies. I took these pills for about a year.

The around Sep '08 I went to Boots and signed up for the hair loss programme. I wanted to make sure I was getting REAL Propecia and not wasting my time and money with potentially fake stuff or more importantly damaging my health. I also had a big student loan burning a hole in my bank account.

Since then I have been going back to Boots once a year to buy a load of pills and taking one a day as prescribed. So I estimate, though can't remember exactly, that I have been on official Propecia for 3 1/2 years now.

My problem has always been receeding hairline at the temples. I have always had nice thick hair everywhere else.

Looking at the pics I posted way back when I was 17 I could well be looking at pics taken today, a month from my 23rd birthday. Things may have gotten slightly worse, but I believe my receeding hairline has more or less stabilised in that time.

I will take some more pics to share with you in the next few days so you can judge for yourselves.

The best news is really that I have spent less time on here talking about and worrying about my hair. It has not consumed my life as it was doing at one point and I have graduated uni and now am the director of my own business.

When I was at my lowest point with my hair, it really took over my life and got me down. I know a lot of other people will be going through the same thing. One thing that really helped was the support I got from this forum and specifically reading other people's success stories on here. I consider mine to be a success story, firstly becuase of the amount of hair I have retained 5 years down the line of what was becoming very aggresive hair loss, and also because I have managed to make my hair a small, rather than all consuming part of my life. The way it should be.

As I said, I will post some more pics so you can judge for yourselves. But I consider this a 'success story' and if possible would like to see the thread moved into that section (if it still exists here?) so others can read and take inspiration from it.

Once again thanks for all the support I have received here... No offence, but after 3 years of absence, I don't want to start spending a lot of time here anymore. But I am considering starting Rogaine again to try and regrow some of my hairline.. so we'll see.

Thanks for listening.