advice please! (pictures included) *5 year update*

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
*5 year update*
See last post for my update on progress

im only 17 (18 in june) but ive noticed my hair receeding at the temples for about a year, which is the time its taken me to do anything about it. so i ordered 4 months of rogaine foam and have used it for 2 days now.

my hairline has receeded quite a bit, heres some pictures form a webcam: the first one looks worse but im sure it doesnt look that bad usually...also i have no idea why some of my hair looks grey!)

hair2.jpg

hair.jpg

so really im asking, what can i expect from using rogaine?
considering ive managed to start at a young age, i imagine that would help. despite the fact they tell you it WONT work on the hairline...

how much regrowth in the temple are do you think is possible?
will the rogaine help stop or slow down the hair loss at all?

any suggestions or information would be helpful!

thanks

also, is it ok to spray it on directly to the right places? it seemed pointless putting on my hand first.

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score
Post a pic . . if the hairline has minimal hair loss or is slightly diffuse there is a good chance it could be salvageable.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
while your temples receeded, your hair still looks very dense. If the temple areas are the only places you need to work on, then foam will be just enough for you. GL!

ShedMaster

Reaction score
yes you can apply it (I'm assuming your on foam?) to the scalp directly. This is the way I do it.

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah im sure my hair isnt thinning anywhere, but my daddy was bald at like 24 or something horrible like that so im expecting to have to start something a bit more powerful eventually...

ill take pictures every 2 week or so, see if ive made any progress.

thanks for the replies

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Many wish they had the foresight to take preventative measures when they started to loose instead of going into denial :) So good job, and just keep an eye on it, its much easier to maintain then regrow.

G

If your receding that early, and your dad was bald by 24, you REALLY need to get on finasteride ASAP. The foam will be great for regrowth on your temples but you need finasteride to reduce your DHT levels.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
If your receding that early, and your dad was bald by 24, you REALLY need to get on finasteride ASAP. The foam will be great for regrowth on your temples but you need finasteride to reduce your DHT levels.

Good idea, and the only reason I didn't mention that, was because he is still 17. But I would keep a close eye on it.

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah im not too worried about trying propecia or whatever eventually, but i thought i should wait until im at least 18, who knows what it could do to someone whos hormones arent even finished changing yet?

what is the general opinion of dht inhibiters you out on your head and no in your mouth like revivogen (i think)?

id feel safer about trying one like that that would have less chance of side effects

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I agree with everyone here, if your father was bald at 24, you should consider taking finasteride now just as a pervention medication. Your hair still looks very thick, and it might be a good idea to start it now.

G

MSFB,

Let your doctor make the decision for you. I believe there's been 17 year olds here whose doctors gave them the OK for finasteride.

If you're concerned about your young age just take a low dose of 0.25mg EOD which will reduce a little bit less DHT than the full dosage will.

But you can apply topical spironolactone (make your own or buy it) which will block the DHT at the androgen receptor on the follicle. Saw Palmetto also has a weak affinity for the androgen receptor.

Spend some time reading on these forums and come up with a solution that works best for you. Revivogen to me seems a bit overpriced for what's included in it. Even though DS Labs is trying to price-fix some of the lowest price vendors this is still a good shampoo with good ingredients including the famous ketoconazole 1% that's in nizoral.

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice everyone.

fairtaxinow, sorry, what does EOD stand for?
and how effective would you say topical spironolactone is? or is it a relatively unknown quantity? i havent really researched that myself.

i dont think a shampoo would be that good for me, seeing as the hairloss is only in a small area of my head, not on the top of the head or thinning anywhere yet.

G

EOD means every other day.

Not sure how to quantify the results of topical spironolactone, but apparently it is very effective. If one cannot use finasteride/dutasteride due to sides than topical spironolactone is usually what's used to reduce the DHT effects on the follicle (repeat: effects, not levels).

You have to use shampoo anyways right? So might as well use one that's useful in fighting male pattern baldness.

Some good ones:
Nizoral
Revita
NANO
Tricomin or Folligen

recognition2

Established Member
Reaction score
Get on the foam right now man !

I'm 22 and started 2 months ago, works fine.(I use finasteride 1mg /day also)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
otis said:
You must use retin a with rogaine

I think foam alone will make a difference. I have never tried Retin A yet, does it really work that good?

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
just been studying the old scalp, there are some very short thin white hairs on the receeded temples. im not sure this is any progress thanks to rogaine, ive only been on it for 1 & 1/2 weeks, but am i right in thinking this is good news? even if theyve always been there i suppose it means there are some working follicles which can be encouraged with rogaine?

FairTaxNow, thanks for the advice do you know where i can look at some more details about spironolactone?

JonA

Reaction score
personally,, i would stay away from finasteride, if i knew it would give me the sides that it did. :( and i think the proportion of people of sides are underestimated!

recognition2

Established Member
Reaction score
JonA said:
personally,, i would stay away from finasteride, if i knew it would give me the sides that it did. :( and i think the proportion of people of sides are underestimated!

If u have sides, just use 0.5mg or 0.25, but at least take it, rogaine alone isn't as effective as if u'd use it with finasteride.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
recognition2 said:
JonA said:

If u have sides, just use 0.5mg or 0.25, but at least take it, rogaine alone isn't as effective as if u'd use it with finasteride.

I agree, Rogain does not solve the basic of the problem.

I am not saying finasteride will work for everyone, but it worked for many. With foam and finasteride, the chance of maintaining what you have is fairly great!