Advice on first time concealer user

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on the big three for 3-4 months with hardly any improvements .. Been debating whether or not to use a concealer as I'm a diffuse thinner , never used the stuff before and don't even know how to apply it . I keep my hair very short pretty much buzzed , how noticeable is this stuff on your hair ? How long does it last or does it last til you shower ? Will the concealer fall off if you scratch your head ? What is the best brand to use , I was leaning more towards toppik for I can just order it online at Walmart .. Please any advice/help would be appreciated !!

- - - Updated - - -

Please take a look at my post and observe my hair to better advise me on what color / concealer would work best for me ... http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/94110-My-story-24-years-old

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You're a great candidate for concealer looking at your pics, Your hair doesn't look 'that' bad. Many people who's hair is that short, looks like that anyway. Presume it was worse before the meds? Toppik does come off, soon as you hit the pillow or scratch your hair.

I would advise trying Dermmatch first. Less messy and doesn't come off till shampoo. If your hair gets worse, then you could use fibres, but I don't see you desperately needing it at the moment, unless you want real thickness, but I'd try Derm first. It's a lot less hassle if you don't want to wash your hair every day. Try both. See how you get on. Both will work for you as you have a good hairline still. Colour wise, difficult to tell on a screen, but either Med Brown or Dark Brown should be fine

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your advise , I do have a bald spot on the left side of my hairline only , I believe my hair has not changed since treatment so I wanted to get on a concealer til 6 months on treatment were hopefully I'll have better results , thanks again !

tkster95

Reaction score
A product like dermatch or courve are great to color your scalp. You use a brush or makeup pad to apply them. Then you can sprinkle on a bit of toppic and it will add a bit a density. Courve was a bit messier than dermatch but I thought it looked more natural. But, I also used dermatch for the times when I was going to be more active or sleeping over somewhere, cause it stood up a bit better and wasn't as messy. Its best to get a few products and test out what you like best.

Whatever you use will come off a bit if rubbed etc. Dermatch is the most durable and will stand up to the most head rubs, bumps etc. Courve stays on pretty well too. Toppic will come off it wipped. Although, you can use products like hairspray (toppic also makes a "lock" spray) that will extend the longevity of the products. Good luck.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely try them. I've never used Courve, but assume it's a similar type of thing to Derm, I don't find sprays or lock and whatever they want to call their 'harispray', makes any difference once you hit a pillow for the night. But Derm, will not come off unless you a) scratch your head, or b) shampoo it. Plus, if your loss is frontal, it's not as bad at coming off when you sleep, as the crown etc.

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys I think I'm going to wait til the end of month 3 to buy a concealer , I feel like I might get addict to the comfort of it and add another "necessity" ... Any suggestions of websites o can purchase derm ? For a reasonable price ?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Either direct from Derm's site or Amazon, was the last one I got. It's not cheap, but does last a lot longer than fibres