Advice on castor oil and other oils

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to attack this f*****g hair loss from multi-angles. What’s the mechanism of castor oil? Does it overlap with finasteride or Min?

Anyone using it? Any sides?

And any good hair oil recommend? For example coconut , rosemary, pumpkin seed, lavender, peppermint…etc.

Thanks.

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I understand castor oil increases PGE2 which is good for follicles. I just started oral castor oil today. 1ml /day.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to attack this f*****g hair loss from multi-angles. What’s the mechanism of castor oil? Does it overlap with finasteride or Min?

Anyone using it? Any sides?

And any good hair oil recommend? For example coconut , rosemary, pumpkin seed, lavender, peppermint…etc.

Thanks.

Moreplatesmoredates arrests to oral castor oil’s effectiveness. I think the mechanism is it helps with PGE2 which promotes hair growth. But emu oil is also good for that too I believe. Not sure about orally though.

From what I understand castor oil increases PGE2 which is good for follicles. I just started oral castor oil today. 1ml /day.

How’s your regimen/hair? Oral minoxidil looks tough to start so I was just wondering

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Castor oil will blow out your insides, it's a powerful laxative, so don't take it in large doses before you have to go out and do errands or go to work

But yes, it does help -some- but it's mostly for younger men who are seeing early signs of thinning and want to snap it back to where it was, once you have dramatically diffuse thinning, you're not going to see miraculous results.

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
Does castor oil need to be used indefinitely to maintain whatever growth it helps with, or can you take it for a short while to kick some follicles into gear, and then sustain the results with finasteride? I think someone else posted a similar question over in the new research forum.

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
Moreplatesmoredates arrests to oral castor oil’s effectiveness. I think the mechanism is it helps with PGE2 which promotes hair growth. But emu oil is also good for that too I believe. Not sure about orally though.

How’s your regimen/hair? Oral minoxidil looks tough to start so I was just wondering

I recall someone took castor oil orally and he grew more body hairs which is what I don't want. Why not topical?

Castor oil will blow out your insides, it's a powerful laxative, so don't take it in large doses before you have to go out and do errands or go to work

But yes, it does help -some- but it's mostly for younger men who are seeing early signs of thinning and want to snap it back to where it was, once you have dramatically diffuse thinning, you're not going to see miraculous results.

Will topical cause diarrhea?
Sure, castor oil is just a part of regime. I will also add micro needling.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, I've never had topical castor oil cause diarrhea, but just... be ready if you take it orally, a teaspoon shouldn't f*** you up, but if you take like three or a couple of tablespoons, you'll know in like 45 mins to an hour.

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Yeah I had to stop all minoxidil months back due to sides. I haven't figured out how to update my regimen on my profile. My new regimen is stemox, zix, spectral dnc, niacin and just started oral castor oil.

I've previously used oral finasteride for decades, oral minoxidil for months as well as topical minoxidil, topical finasteride and topical dutasteride for various durations.

Several months ago I began taking high doses of niacin for cholesterol treatment and noticed ny shedding went down to near zero and pretty much stayed that way since. Nothing has ever done that before, at least to that extent. Now I'm keen to pursue the prostaglandin angle. My shedding is handled i think i just need to boost PGE2...hence the castor oil.

Niacin:

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So few people will talk about their side effects of minoxidil, can you expound on those please?

That's also interesting af regarding the flushing mechanism of niacin, releasing that amount of PGD2 into the body can't be all that good for it though, I wonder if taking cetirizine alongside would be helpful.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I had to stop all minoxidil months back due to sides. I haven't figured out how to update my regimen on my profile. My new regimen is stemox, zix, spectral dnc, niacin and just started oral castor oil.

I've previously used oral finasteride for decades, oral minoxidil for months as well as topical minoxidil, topical finasteride and topical dutasteride for various durations.

Several months ago I began taking high doses of niacin for cholesterol treatment and noticed ny shedding went down to near zero and pretty much stayed that way since. Nothing has ever done that before, at least to that extent. Now I'm keen to pursue the prostaglandin angle. My shedding is handled i think i just need to boost PGE2...hence the castor oil.

Niacin:

interesting but won't a release in pgd2 cause more hairloss? i had to stop minoxidil as well is nanoxidil in spectral dnc giving you any results and do you know if it has skin / collagen degradation sides similar to minoxidil? thanks

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe since we know that pgd2 is vasoconstrictive, when its released you end up with substantial vasodialtion ie. flushing in the skin.

My body is super sensitive to drugs more so than a normal person due to discontinuation of ssri medication. So I think my side effects to minoxidil are related to anxiety as I used to tolerate it fine. The side effects for me were shortness of breath. No skin issues at all. I think i will be able to use it again at some point.

Spectral dnc causes me zero sides although I'm not fully convinced of its effectiveness. But its better than nothing and no sides so ill take it for now.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe since we know that pgd2 is vasoconstrictive, when its released you end up with substantial vasodialtion ie. flushing in the skin.

My body is super sensitive to drugs more so than a normal person due to discontinuation of ssri medication. So I think my side effects to minoxidil are related to anxiety as I used to tolerate it fine. The side effects for me were shortness of breath. No skin issues at all. I think i will be able to use it again at some point.

Spectral dnc causes me zero sides although I'm not fully convinced of its effectiveness. But its better than nothing and no sides so ill take it for now.

Serotonin is vasoconstrictive, so I would recommend getting off anything that increases serotonin, also stay away from marijuana, not only does THC according to some studies restrict hair elongation itself, but marijuana increases serotonin in the bloodstream which is the reason why some people get bloodshot eyes.

In general prolonged and profound vasoconstriction is not great for hair growth.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, I've never had topical castor oil cause diarrhea, but just... be ready if you take it orally, a teaspoon shouldn't f*** you up, but if you take like three or a couple of tablespoons, you'll know in like 45 mins to an hour.
Now you tell me, lol. I took 2 tablespoons last night and I had explosive diarrhea. Some things like colored progesterone capsules up the *** or too much castor oil aren't worth the mess. The colored progesterone will not wash out so black underwear it is for those folks doing that. The things we do for hair, painful derma-rolling, expensive, uncommon meds, etc. are all worth it provided they clearly work but some of these marginal treatments, eh. I will probably use the castor oil on my scalp from time to time to increase moisture and take no more than one spoonful daily. It's high in calories and vitamins so it does seem to be healthy on balance. They used to make kids take it daily in the olden days. The taste to me is bland, not bad or good.