Advicde required - Transplant or SMP

ninjabib

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I am just turning 41 and my hair is receding at the temples.

Sadly i was born with quite a severe widows peak which gives me a naturally high hairline and although it hasnt receded that much it makes a big difference now.

MY hair started to recede quite a bit about 3 years ago when i had a bad accident and nearly died and had physical and mental health problems along with losing my job and home, stress etc. Happy to say im over the worst of all that but my hair hasnt grown back which is what i was hoping might happen with the stress gone.

Family hair background - dad is 75 and has a full, thick head of hair but my mom has the widows peak so i guess my hair is from her side of the family who i dont really know so cant say.

I've attached some pics. 2 from today facing the front and 1 from the side from earlier this year, in the side on photo ive had a shaved number 2 on the sides a week earlier.

I dont have any bald patches on the crown etc, the hair i do have grows to a decent thickness and length but like i say the temples moving back. In the pics ive drawn some red lines to show where my original hairline would be.

I'm torn between having a hair transplant and having to take meds for the rest of my life or shaving my head and having the corners SMP'd in!! I did shave my head as a child ad i hated it although 25 years later it may suit me more i guess.

Any ideas/suggestions people? Money for the hair transplant isnt an issue im worried about getting side effects though from the meds after. I did one of those rough estimates using squares and to restore my hairline id need 1000-ish grafts.

Another idea i had was to redesign my hairline and have say double the grafts and bring hairline forward and even it out removing widows peak? Can this be done?

Attachments

• hair side (3).jpg
    hair side (3).jpg
    279 KB · Views: 151
  • hair front (2).jpg
    hair front (2).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 152
  • hair front (1).jpg
    hair front (1).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 146

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can get a transplant for your hairline but as you already know you'll have to use finasteride afterwards.

If you won't stress about side effects you most likely won't experience them. In case you do get side effects you'll be able to switch from oral finasteride to topical finasteride, still get sides then topical duasteride.

It's all about how much you want to change your hairline really. It's a risk you'll have to take. A pretty low one honestly.

ninjabib

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long do the sides last though? I read some ppl got ED from them and not got rid of it!

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long do the sides last though? I read some ppl got ED from them and not got rid of it!
Yeah I've read that too but it's extremely rare. The sides usually subside 2-3 weeks after you discontinue the meds. You can also do a blood test before you start so if you get sides you can compare and see if something really changed.

Read more about how you can use finasteride the safest way possible here:

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you , i appreciate that info!
Personally my balding was very aggressive and I had lost my hair in a very short time, and most of my scalp is just transplants now. Although I've had wonderful results for someone who was supposed to be fully bald my hair is very thin and it's just not the same plus having to get multiple transplants down the road is tiring. So I recommend ppl to start finasteride early and move on with life.

ninjabib

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks again my friend. If topical finasteride has less sides how do i get that? Cani buy it or prescriptoin only.

jazz1

Reaction score
Thanks again my friend. If topical finasteride has less sides how do i get that? Cani buy it or prescriptoin only.
Hey I use Topical Finasteride as oral gave me sides effects, you could try adding Horny Goat Weed and Zinc daily but also take multi vitamin as too much of one vitamin will deplete others. This will help with any sides effects, depending where you from the compound pharmacy I use ship to most world wide countries and they give us forum members discount, see the thread I posted on all details and how to order etc:

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly I'd be happy to have that hairline at 41 and I'm only 23, used to have it like that till I reached 20-21. I wouldn't get on any meds or surgery at all and just go for a different haircut, you'd prolly look awesome with a faux-hawk.

ScalpIH

My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't have to be bald to get scalp micropigmentation. I did scalp micropigmentation on women without shaving their hair. I don't see any reason why it will not be applicable to men also.

ninjabib

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly I'd be happy to have that hairline at 41 and I'm only 23, used to have it like that till I reached 20-21. I wouldn't get on any meds or surgery at all and just go for a different haircut, you'd prolly look awesome with a faux-hawk.

Thank you, my friends all say im mad for even considering a hair transplant, they say the photos make it look much worse than it is but the v-line of my hair has definitely receded a little, its a fact and when you have a high hairline naturally even a 1cm movement back of the hairline makes a big difference.

My hair does look much better short like in the side on picture. My ahir had been cut that week. The ones front on were 8 weeks after having a number 2 cut.

If i wasnt born witrh a severe widows peak i wouldnt even be here because my hair would look fine still, i've also always hated it so when i heard you can 'design' a new flat (natural of course) hsirline it got me thinking. I need to consider whether i want a hair transplant cos i want a1" max square of hair in each temple filled in or do i just want a new hairline period.

You don't have to be bald to get scalp micropigmentation. I did scalp micropigmentation on women without shaving their hair. I don't see any reason why it will not be applicable to men also.

Thanks, if i wasnt to have a hair transplant i was thinking of shaving my head but i tried that as a teenager and didnt like it. My hair would look like this shaved now (RO Shave file image) he has a slight recession in the temples like a do where the v-line is more severe.

I was thinking if i shaved it and had the temples only done with SMP it might look better, again same guy when younger. We basically have the same hairline and hes a year younger so our hairlines have moved in tandem hahah but anyways this is what mine looked like a few years ago RO Less severe image.

As somoene who does SMP would it work keeping my hair and just doing a 1" square SMP in each temple corner?

Attachments

• ro SHAVE.jpg
    ro SHAVE.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 78
  • RO less severe.jpg
    RO less severe.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 72

ninjabib

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey I use Topical Finasteride as oral gave me sides effects, you could try adding Horny Goat Weed and Zinc daily but also take multi vitamin as too much of one vitamin will deplete others. This will help with any sides effects, depending where you from the compound pharmacy I use ship to most world wide countries and they give us forum members discount, see the thread I posted on all details and how to order etc:

Thanks for that will look into it!!

ScalpIH

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you, my friends all say im mad for even considering a hair transplant, they say the photos make it look much worse than it is but the v-line of my hair has definitely receded a little, its a fact and when you have a high hairline naturally even a 1cm movement back of the hairline makes a big difference.

My hair does look much better short like in the side on picture. My ahir had been cut that week. The ones front on were 8 weeks after having a number 2 cut.

If i wasnt born witrh a severe widows peak i wouldnt even be here because my hair would look fine still, i've also always hated it so when i heard you can 'design' a new flat (natural of course) hsirline it got me thinking. I need to consider whether i want a hair transplant cos i want a1" max square of hair in each temple filled in or do i just want a new hairline period.

Thanks, if i wasnt to have a hair transplant i was thinking of shaving my head but i tried that as a teenager and didnt like it. My hair would look like this shaved now (RO Shave file image) he has a slight recession in the temples like a do where the v-line is more severe.

I was thinking if i shaved it and had the temples only done with SMP it might look better, again same guy when younger. We basically have the same hairline and hes a year younger so our hairlines have moved in tandem hahah but anyways this is what mine looked like a few years ago RO Less severe image.

As somoene who does SMP would it work keeping my hair and just doing a 1" square SMP in each temple corner?
It is possible. You can check out my work here to give you an idea of what it might look like.

Hair_Cook

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you should go for a mild transplation which is about 2000 grafts since you have thicker hair than you think you have. SMP is not a long term option and best practice in SMP is hard to find. They tend to do sloppy jobs and you have to always wear buzzcut because when you grow you hair the density gives a illusion of shadow, which looks to eye as an unnatural thing and becomes noticable.

ninjabib

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, i think first things first i might be best just shaving my head and seeing how bad it looks, maybe ive been lucky and shaved head will suit me more now than as a kid. I ma just dreading it because i know my shaved head looked bad as a kid.

Hair_Cook

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, i think first things first i might be best just shaving my head and seeing how bad it looks, maybe ive been lucky and shaved head will suit me more now than as a kid. I ma just dreading it because i know my shaved head looked bad as a kid.
Shave it it's probably all in your head. Maybe you are gonna like it.

crikey1980

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive the exact same hair as you, I'm also 41 and was born with a widows peak, which wasn't a problem until I receded a bit but its become a nightmare to style even though I have great density due to the v.... I've decided to get a hair transplant.
BTW the smp idea is sh*t