Adhesive Stuck In Lace Hair System After Leaking

bouncer720

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been doing quite a bit of research on the net about it and only been able to find a couple of ideas - any help would be appreciated.

At my last regroom just over three weeks ago, the stylist suggested I make the move from full adhesive (glue) to tape (round the perimeter at the back and glue on the hairline).

I had a squash match about a week or so after the regroom where I was sweating a lot more than usual and ever since then I have struggled to get any volume back into the system. This includes after washing the system numerous times, taking the system off and cleaning the base and trying reattachments with tape and adhesive.

Furthermore when touching the top of the system, it never feels completely dry. The hair looks slightly matted (not that its massively noticeable) and I wondered if it's likely that the adhesive has leaked through the system and is stuck at the base of the hair? If so, can anyone recommend a way to get rid of this adhesive? I've seen a few suggestions such as soaking the system in C22 but I just wanted a second opinion.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Bouncer

How you attach the system shouldn't have any effect on how much volume the hair has, so it sounds as if you are right: glue has somehow got onto the hair shafts. It's hard to be sure without knowing more about your base, the adhesive you are using and your past history, but in my experience the usual cause of this is that you keep the system on too long between maintenance sessions, and the adhesive deteriorates, mixes with your body oils, and starts to migrate through the base onto the knots and the hair shafts. It differs from person to person, but again my experience is that 10 - 14 days is about the maximum duration that you can get away with before that deterioration of the adhesive starts.

It's not easy to get the unit clean again. I suggest you soak it for an hour or two in 99% isopropyl alcohol. Then, while it is still in the alcohol, comb the hairs out gently with a fine-toothed comb dipped in alcohol, getting as close to the base as you can at the start of each stroke. Start at the hairline and work your way systematically to the back of the piece. Then give the whole unit a thorough shampoo and condition.

Hope that helps.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
My supplier suggests soaking the hair in conditioner and then combing out the glue. Like using olive oil to get out gum!

bouncer720

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Bouncer

How you attach the system shouldn't have any effect on how much volume the hair has, so it sounds as if you are right: glue has somehow got onto the hair shafts. It's hard to be sure without knowing more about your base, the adhesive you are using and your past history, but in my experience the usual cause of this is that you keep the system on too long between maintenance sessions, and the adhesive deteriorates, mixes with your body oils, and starts to migrate through the base onto the knots and the hair shafts. It differs from person to person, but again my experience is that 10 - 14 days is about the maximum duration that you can get away with before that deterioration of the adhesive starts.

It's not easy to get the unit clean again. I suggest you soak it for an hour or two in 99% isopropyl alcohol. Then, while it is still in the alcohol, comb the hairs out gently with a fine-toothed comb dipped in alcohol, getting as close to the base as you can at the start of each stroke. Start at the hairline and work your way systematically to the back of the piece. Then give the whole unit a thorough shampoo and condition.

Hope that helps.

Noah
Much appreciated, will give that a try. Thanks Noah!