Active And Sweating With Hairsystem?

Valentin1982

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all!

I’m on my first week of wearing a hair replacement system. So far so good! Everyone really likes the new look and can’t notice the hairline at all.

Im usually very active and can sweat alot but this week I didn’t go to gym as i wanted to get use to the system. Also i wanted to get the second unit cut in before i get back to normal lifestyle so i have a backup.

Can any active guys share their experience about sweating with the hairpiece, maintenance, replacement time frames?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all!

I’m on my first week of wearing a hair replacement system. So far so good! Everyone really likes the new look and can’t notice the hairline at all.

Im usually very active and can sweat alot but this week I didn’t go to gym as i wanted to get use to the system. Also i wanted to get the second unit cut in before i get back to normal lifestyle so i have a backup.

Can any active guys share their experience about sweating with the hairpiece, maintenance, replacement time frames?

What kind of adhesive or tape you use for your new system? Skin or Lacy? I'am a very active person too and I have been experimenting with few tapes and adhesives for the past 3.5 months. I have excessive sweat doing cardio 3-4 times per week at the gym. If l use Ghostbond Classic , Walker Ultra Hold or Esha Absolute Adhesive it works fine even my sweat dripping down like a waterfall on my face. I think the key is shave off the bio hair, wipe off all the scalp oil with 99% alcohol and apply scalp protector which will gives me a decent a week (or longer) of hold time . My favorite adhesive so far is Esha Absolute because relatively more easy to clean up compared to Ghostbond and Ultra Hold. When I remove the whole system there were not much residue need to clean up on the base and my scalp. Got2B black tube is great too but I found Got2B will NOT last through a good sweat.

Valentin1982

My Regimen
Reaction score
What kind of adhesive or tape you use for your new system? Skin or Lacy? I'am a very active person too and I have been experimenting with few tapes and adhesives for the past 3.5 months. I have excessive sweat doing cardio 3-4 times per week at the gym. If l use Ghostbond Classic , Walker Ultra Hold or Esha Absolute Adhesive it works fine even my sweat dripping down like a waterfall on my face. I think the key is shave off the bio hair, wipe off all the scalp oil with 99% alcohol and apply scalp protector which will gives me a decent a week (or longer) of hold time . My favorite adhesive so far is Esha Absolute because relatively more easy to clean up compared to Ghostbond and Ultra Hold. When I remove the whole system there were not much residue need to clean up on the base and my scalp. Got2B black tube is great too but I found Got2B will NOT last through a good sweat.

Thanks! That’s very helpful! I have swiss lace system. Right now i have ghostbond on. My main concern was the glue showing on the hairline or turning white.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks! That’s very helpful! I have swiss lace system. Right now i have ghostbond on. My main concern was the glue showing on the hairline or turning white.

I learned if I apply to thick adhesive to the scalp and didn't wait long enough to dry up, some white glue will come out the edge of the hairline after I sweat a lot. My solution is only apply one or two very thin coats on the scalp and make sure wait till they dry before the attachment. When I first started, if I see any glue leak out from the hairline edge, I take a Qtip and dip it in 99% alcohol to clear up the edge.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Valentin

The main issue with sweating is to allow the adhesives to cure properly before you start sweating, and in fact before you get them wet at all. So you have to apply the adhesives and the hairpiece in a cool dry place, and you have to keep cool and dry till curing is complete. I find that takes about 4 hours, but it may differ from person to person and adhesive to adhesive. So the rule is no serious sweating, swimming, showering, running, gym etc. during that 4 hours. If you do, you may spoil the bond and/or get the adhesive turning white at your hairline.

Once curing is complete you are good to go, and you can sweat freely without worrying about the piece coming loose or any white showing up.

I take my system off for maintenance every week, but I would say the average is every 10 - 14 days for most guys. I just like the feeling of the bond being fresh and tight, and also the clean-up is easier after a week, because the adhesive is still in good condition. If I leave it for 14 days it has started to mix with my scalp oils and get a bit grungy, and then it is more difficult to get the glue off. Any more than 14 days and the adhesive is starting to migrate into the lace base, which makes it far harder to clean off, and puts more wear and tear on the piece itself.

I get 5 months from each of my units, which are also Swiss lace. I have 2 identical units in use at any time, which I swap week-about, and I get 10 months from the pair. I could probably get 6 months if I was careful, but I do a lot of sweaty sport, and I like to retire the units before they start to show signs of deterioration.

Good luck with the new hair!

Noah

Valentin1982

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Valentin

The main issue with sweating is to allow the adhesives to cure properly before you start sweating, and in fact before you get them wet at all. So you have to apply the adhesives and the hairpiece in a cool dry place, and you have to keep cool and dry till curing is complete. I find that takes about 4 hours, but it may differ from person to person and adhesive to adhesive. So the rule is no serious sweating, swimming, showering, running, gym etc. during that 4 hours. If you do, you may spoil the bond and/or get the adhesive turning white at your hairline.

Once curing is complete you are good to go, and you can sweat freely without worrying about the piece coming loose or any white showing up.

I take my system off for maintenance every week, but I would say the average is every 10 - 14 days for most guys. I just like the feeling of the bond being fresh and tight, and also the clean-up is easier after a week, because the adhesive is still in good condition. If I leave it for 14 days it has started to mix with my scalp oils and get a bit grungy, and then it is more difficult to get the glue off. Any more than 14 days and the adhesive is starting to migrate into the lace base, which makes it far harder to clean off, and puts more wear and tear on the piece itself.

I get 5 months from each of my units, which are also Swiss lace. I have 2 identical units in use at any time, which I swap week-about, and I get 10 months from the pair. I could probably get 6 months if I was careful, but I do a lot of sweaty sport, and I like to retire the units before they start to show signs of deterioration.

Good luck with the new hair!

Noah
How do get such a long time from your units? I was told 6-8 weeks max.

Is it normal every morning my front hairline is coming up a bit?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do get such a long time from your units? I was told 6-8 weeks max.

Is it normal every morning my front hairline is coming up a bit?

How do you prep your scalp before attaching the system, do you use any scalp protector? I find that really helps.

I also use "No sweat", before the calp protector, it's an antiperspirant for your scalp. It keeps you from sweating during, after attachment. It's made by Prohair Labs, the same folks that make Ghostbond.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Valentin

I think 4 - 6 months is a typical lifespan for a lace system. Some of the salons which operate a monthly contract system where they do all the maintenance claim that the system needs replacing after 4 to 6 weeks, but I suspect that is just a way of justifying a higher price. Unless the system has very low quality over-processed hair it should not need replacing that often.

It is not normal for your hairline to come up every morning. A good attachment should normally last for at least 7 days, and probably 10+. Baldbearded has given you some ideas about preparation of your scalp before you apply the piece, and I have given you some ideas about the curing process. Also, use detergent make sure the base of the hairpiece itself is squeaky clean, with no oil or conditioner residues on it. I think if you try those methods you should get a longer more secure hold. If not, it means the adhesive you are using is wrong for you, and you should try a different brand.

Noah

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you prep your scalp before attaching the system, do you use any scalp protector? I find that really helps.

I also use "No sweat", before the calp protector, it's an antiperspirant for your scalp. It keeps you from sweating during, after attachment. It's made by Prohair Labs, the same folks that make Ghostbond.

Not tried either yet.

Will need to patch test "No sweat" before I try it.

Valentin1982

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Valentin

I think 4 - 6 months is a typical lifespan for a lace system. Some of the salons which operate a monthly contract system where they do all the maintenance claim that the system needs replacing after 4 to 6 weeks, but I suspect that is just a way of justifying a higher price. Unless the system has very low quality over-processed hair it should not need replacing that often.

It is not normal for your hairline to come up every morning. A good attachment should normally last for at least 7 days, and probably 10+. Baldbearded has given you some ideas about preparation of your scalp before you apply the piece, and I have given you some ideas about the curing process. Also, use detergent make sure the base of the hairpiece itself is squeaky clean, with no oil or conditioner residues on it. I think if you try those methods you should get a longer more secure hold. If not, it means the adhesive you are using is wrong for you, and you should try a different brand.

Noah
Thanks for all the info that’s really helpful! I will explore some of the suggestions and let you guys know how it goes.